A question regarding The Hotspur Volume 1

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

jim244

A question regarding The Hotspur Volume 1

Post by jim244 »

Simple question: Started collecting The Hotspur.
I am confused by page numbers.
For example,issue 87,1935,numbers page 32 as 112.
Issue 1001,1956,numbers page 32 as 148.
The second volume seems to have pages numbered normally,ie page 1-32.
It appears to me that volume 1 is numbering each page as if it were part of a book and yet makes zero sense when the numbers later go down.
Could somebody explain please?
Cheers

Robbie Moubert

Re: A question regarding The Hotspur Volume 1

Post by Robbie Moubert »

The pages were numbered for binding in half-year volumes, so the first issues of January and July each year would start with page one. There may have been some variations on this during the 1940s when it was published fortnightly, but they were back to the January/July system by 1949 when it resumed weekly publication.

jim244

Post by jim244 »

Robbie Moubert wrote:
10 Jun 2024, 11:56
The pages were numbered for binding in half-year volumes, so the first issues of January and July each year would start with page one. There may have been some variations on this during the 1940s when it was published fortnightly, but they were back to the January/July system by 1949 when it resumed weekly publication.
Many thanks Robbie.This makes sense now.
So....Did the Hotspur itself issue binders to use for this purpose or was it simply common practice at the time?
I have seen some examples of comics/magazines in binders on Ebay,such as "Punch" and "Battle" but never really understood why.
There have been previous magazines that I purchased which offered binders but were mainly the ones such as part works,ie part of a model each week etc.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

In those days you could buy a binder and an index for your magazines and comics. An index would be no good if it had 26 of the same page number to refer to so the numbering ran from page 1 to page whatever was the last page after six months.

jim244

Post by jim244 »

stevezodiac wrote:
13 Jun 2024, 22:14
In those days you could buy a binder and an index for your magazines and comics. An index would be no good if it had 26 of the same page number to refer to so the numbering ran from page 1 to page whatever was the last page after six months.
Many thanks Steve and makes sense.
However,I still don't quite understand a couple of things.

1) When I started collecting comics in the mid 70s,I don't remember anything about binders being an option,in reality my parents would throw them out when they took up too much space.So was this a practice that had died out by then?
2) If Hotspur were numbering their pages to fit in binders,why weren't The Eagle etc?

I'm sorry to go on about this but am fascinated as I have rather a large collection and had genuinely no idea about this until asking this question after being confused by Hotspur volume 1 page numbering.
Many thanks to you and Robbie for fascinating information.
Cheers.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I didn't think it was still around in the seventies. With magazines like Boys Own you'd not only get the index but extra full colour plates.

jim244

Post by jim244 »

stevezodiac wrote:
17 Jun 2024, 23:03
I didn't think it was still around in the seventies. With magazines like Boys Own you'd not only get the index but extra full colour plates.
Now this is making sense !!
Many thanks and much appreciated.