What comic related stuff did people get for Christmas

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Earl

Post by Earl »

In comics related items I got...

A Rupert the Bear Annual
A Tintin book
A Flash Gordon Conquers the Universe DVD
A Modesty Blaise Book
A Book about Mexican Comics
A Dandy Annual

Earl.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

I got nuffink! :cry: :cry: But am expecting the True Grit collection through the post! :lol:
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

kevf

Post by kevf »

I got Paul Gravett's excellent Great British Comics book. Well worth getting for anyone on this list.

Also the Broons annual no 1 facsimile, and the Dandy annual 1939 facsimile - already found the "nigger minstrel" strip, and enjoying looking for more.

Plus I got Robert Opie's 1970s scrapbook, a treasure trove of big spreads of 70s ephemera including a few pages of comics and a great montage of Look-In covers. Joyful stuff.

Also lots of Dr Who toys, but they don't realy fit this category. And obviously I gave a few signed Beano annuals to the kids.

Kev F
Kev F - Comic Genius
http://comicfestival.co.uk

Conor B

Post by Conor B »

I got...

Beano Interactive DVD
Beano Jigsaw book
Dennis the Menace Pencil case
Broons and Oor Wullie Early Years (1936-1946) Book
Comic Genius Runner Up 2006

Steve Bright

Re: What comic related stuff did people get for Christmas

Post by Steve Bright »

kevf wrote:... And obviously I gave a few signed Beano annuals to the kids.

Kev F
You are joking I hope, Kev? You GAVE them away?

Ha! Bumhug!

Hope you all got everything your little hearts desired...and cake!
Wake up, smell the coffee, put on some toast...

http://www.stevebrightcartoons.co.uk

Cap Haggis

Post by Cap Haggis »

I manged to get more than my normal Comic related material from Santa this year: "DC Showcase : Shazam", "Neal Adams Monsters" (soft back version) and although not stricly a comic featured work of a comic artists (Tank Girls Jamie Hewlit) I t got "Rise of the Ogre - the Gorillaz" brillaint stuff oh and also the Manini Spiderman book 2007 for some reason. Nos ocks thank goodness.
Cap Haggis to the rescue of all deep fried foods

Garen

Post by Garen »

I had a comicky Christmas!

The Moomin book, The Art of Brian Bolland, The Complete Bone, 99 Ways to tell a Story, Spring-Heeled Jack by Philip Pullman, Vampire Loves by Sfar, Chicken with Plums by Satrapi.

(And a Powell and Pressburger DVD box set (not comics)). :D

Brendan McGuire

Post by Brendan McGuire »

I got Great British Comics from my children for my birthday which is only ten days before Christmas.
On yer actual Christmas day I got The Best of The Spirit, some of which I had never seen before. Excellent tome! I also got Superman Returns on DVD. I still haven't watched it as the house is full of bloomin' students whose raison d'Etre seems to be in order to watch Deal or No Big sodding Deal (in my opinion). I have actually had a very relaxing and enjoyable Christmas and it isn't even over yet! :D

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

I got the Broons facsimile....which is super by Dudley.really gives a 30's flavour.and very consistant artist...I've got money to buy the Dandy facsimile..

Also got (American dvds) More Silly Symphonies...soon from late post from America still waiting!! I'll get Looney Tunes 4 dvd golden collection.....I also got little Mermaid and Bambi special edition..

Gary Northfield

Post by Gary Northfield »

With money for Christmas I bought myself the humungous but excellent Popeye "I Yam What I Yam" Vol 1, Nicolas Mahler's "Lone Racer" and the nonsense-packed "Essential Defenders Vol 2", which although not as classy as Volume 1, it does contain some great scenes with Doctor Strange getting a bit arsey with the Hulk who seems to have turned over a new leaf and is trying very hard to get on with everyone. Bless.

Good choice with that Bambi DVD Peter, I reckon that's one of the most misunderstood films ever! Full-on existential-expressionism with great characters and gags with none of the usual cutesy Disney songs. Thumper is just an absolute gem!

You won't find me scared to tell people that's my favourite film!
There, I said it.

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

I went to see the film Bambi at the cinema in the 90's..
it got ruined as a kid kept asking mum when is the mother going to be shot....is it now......kind of spoiled it..even though I knew this....a very over protected mother must have told him to be ready......

:P

I must get the popeye book.......... 8)

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

As a matter of interest I couldn't help noticing that virtually all the recent comics-related books (including Great British Comics, Best of Girl, Sporting Supermen, etc.) are now available in the Sales at half price!

- Phil Rushton

fústar

Post by fústar »

I got Great British Comics well in advance of Christmas so that probably doesn't count.

I did, however, get the excellent Foul Play!: The Art and Artists of the Notorious 1950s E.C. Comics! by Grant Geissman. Would have loved to have gotten one of the new EC Archives volumes but they are bloody expensive...

I note that Lew Stringer has reviewed 2 of the volumes on amazon.co.uk so he must have laid his hands on them.

Lucky dog...

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

f?star wrote:I got Great British Comics

I note that Lew Stringer has reviewed 2 of the volumes on amazon.co.uk so he must have laid his hands on them.

Lucky dog...

Nowt to do with luck. I bought them myself. :-)

The way I see it is those EC volumes are five times better than most "graphic novel" collections so ?22 for each of them isn't a high price to pay. Not sure I'll be collecting them all though!

Lew
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

fústar

Post by fústar »

Lew Stringer wrote:

Nowt to do with luck. I bought them myself. :-)

The way I see it is those EC volumes are five times better than most "graphic novel" collections so ?22 for each of them isn't a high price to pay. Not sure I'll be collecting them all though!
Yes...I must stop being jealous of others and fork out the pennies (or cents in my case) to buy them meself. Will order them this week and batter the credit card (he said decisively).

The only reservation I've had is the new colouring jobs they've done but most comments I've read seem to suggest it's not too distracting.