Mike Noble article in Elephantmen 6

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: AndyB, colcool007

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

The latest issue of the American comic Elephantmen (No. 6, $2.99 from comic shops such as Forbidden Planet) features a three page illustrated article on TV21 and Look-In artist Mike Noble. (More proof for the Americans that British comics didn't begin with 2000 AD.)

To compliment the article, I've just written an blog (with scans) here:

http://lewstringer.blogspot.com/2007/02 ... noble.html

Hope you enjoy it!

Lew

john56peter756brit

Post by john56peter756brit »

yes Lew i own some mike noble art he never turns in a bad page love his art. I remember a pencil drawing he did of an alien that was used in a star trek story fantastic love the man.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

The first comic i ever collected was TV21 and I loved Mike Noble's art. His Fireball XL5 was so easy on the eye. Especially remember those snowmen and the giant animals and insects. When he worked for Look-In he drew Follyfoot I think which I considered a waste of his talent - although some might say his smooth style was more suited to Girl's comics.

Lew Stringer

Re: Mike Noble article in Elephantmen 6

Post by Lew Stringer »

stevezodiac wrote:The first comic i ever collected was TV21 and I loved Mike Noble's art. His Fireball XL5 was so easy on the eye. Especially remember those snowmen and the giant animals and insects. When he worked for Look-In he drew Follyfoot I think which I considered a waste of his talent - although some might say his smooth style was more suited to Girl's comics.
Perhaps he wanted a change of pace after spending five years or more drawing science fiction. (Although I think he later did a stint on Space:1999 strip for Look-In, but the majority of his work for that comic wasn't sci-fi.)

I've added a scan of the "snowmen" Fireball XL5 strip to my blog now as that's the page every TV21 reader remembers! :)

http://lewstringer.blogspot.com/2007/02 ... noble.html

Lew

Shaqui

Post by Shaqui »

stevezodiac wrote:The first comic i ever collected was TV21 and I loved Mike Noble's art. His Fireball XL5 was so easy on the eye. Especially remember those snowmen and the giant animals and insects. When he worked for Look-In he drew Follyfoot I think which I considered a waste of his talent - although some might say his smooth style was more suited to Girl's comics.
He was a commercial artist, and basically drew what he was commissioned to do - he didn't really have much say. 'Follyfoot' was an up-and-coming new strip for 'Look-In', and heavily promoted so he couldn't have done too badly by it as he remained on the strip for two years or more.

:?

ps - thanks, Lew, for the link for our GACCH interview with the man himself! :wink:

Shaqui

Post by Shaqui »

Lew Stringer wrote:Perhaps he wanted a change of pace after spending five years or more drawing science fiction. (Although I think he later did a stint on Space:1999 strip for Look-In, but the majority of his work for that comic wasn't sci-fi.)
Beg to differ Lew - he did 'Timeslip' first, and a stint on 'The Tomorrow People' - before AND after 'Space:1999' - as well as 'The Man From Atlantis' and 'Star Fleet'. "Into The Labyrinth' and 'Robin of Sherwood' can also be considered 'telefantasy'...

Check out the stripography at the end of part 2 of the interview:

http://www.technodelic.pwp.blueyonder.c ... ble02f.htm

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Shaqui wrote:
Lew Stringer wrote:Perhaps he wanted a change of pace after spending five years or more drawing science fiction. (Although I think he later did a stint on Space:1999 strip for Look-In, but the majority of his work for that comic wasn't sci-fi.)
Beg to differ Lew - he did 'Timeslip' first, and a stint on 'The Tomorrow People' - before AND after 'Space:1999' - as well as 'The Man From Atlantis' and 'Star Fleet'. "Into The Labyrinth' and 'Robin of Sherwood' can also be considered 'telefantasy'...

Check out the stripography at the end of part 2 of the interview:

http://www.technodelic.pwp.blueyonder.c ... ble02f.htm

You're right, although what I meant was that most of his Look-In strips presumably didn't feature futuristic hardware so they'd still have provided Mike with a refreshing change after five years on TV21.

Lew
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

One of the really amazing things about being a comics fan in the UK during the 1960s was that we were exposed to two entirely separate pantheons of star artists in Britain and America. I often thought of these countries as being like two parallel worlds in which each creative type had their own close counterpart - like Captain Kirk and his 'Mirror Universe' equivalent, or the Flashes of Earths One and Two. For me Mike Noble was always the homegrown version of Murphy Anderson (with a touch of Wally Wood), and I longed to see how he would have handled some of my favourite superheroes; sadly he was too busy with Look-In when 2000AD finally started to attract the attention of US publishers so we never even got to see his take on Judge Dredd, let alone Superman or Spider-Man. Such a shame as in my opinion he always seemed to have one of the most action-oriented 'American' styles of all British comic artists (unlike Frank Hampson, whose one attempt at Marvel superheroes looked embarrassingly wooden) - and I bet the late Julius Schwartz would have loved him!

Strangely enough, Murphy Anderson did get to appear on both sides of the pond, drawing syndicated features that were reprinted in both Valiant and Buster - while Wally Wood even managed to produce some of his own Fireball XL5 artwork!

- Phil Rushton

john56peter756brit

Post by john56peter756brit »

I'm glad i still kept my Mike Noble art all these years still looks great to this day love the guys work allways have and allways will. :lol: