Another new UK comic from Titan

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Continuing to expand their line of brand new British comics, Titan launch Dreamworks Tales tomorrow. I've had a quick browse at No.1 and it's the same format as their popular Wallace & Gromit Comic, with 19 or 20 pages of brand new comics material.

http://tinyurl.com/2wk2rn

Who sez the UK industry is dead?

Lew

Cap Haggis

Post by Cap Haggis »

not dead Lew but it sems to have a really bad cold!
Cap Haggis to the rescue of all deep fried foods

chrissmillie

Post by chrissmillie »

OK it's definitely not my style but this idea is inspired!

Chris
STARSCAPE
http://www.StarscapeComic.co.uk
Classic British reprints and all-new comics

Lew Stringer

Re: Another new UK comic from Titan

Post by Lew Stringer »

chrissmillie wrote:OK it's definitely not my style but this idea is inspired!

Chris
I doubt I'll buy it beyond the first issue, but what's interesting is it has the potential to be another Film Fun (in a fashion) in that its contents can change to reflect new movies. Much better than just focusing one one character, as the majority of comics do now.

Lew

Cap Haggis

Post by Cap Haggis »

Thats a good analogy with "Film Fun" Lew I never though of it like that - The book may well be a success what with the new "Shrek the Third" film out soon and the plethora of this type of movie (most of which are really good and big box office - maybe the start of a "new/old" type of UK comic)
Cap Haggis to the rescue of all deep fried foods

PaulTwist

Post by PaulTwist »

Is all of the comic strip content UK-originated? I assume it is (UK spellings etc), but it's weird to see Marvel stalwart Tom DeFalco writing for a UK kids' comic! Unless I misread that?

I bought this ostensibly for my god-daughter but, if I'm honest, it was mainly to read the Abnett/Lanning-scripted Shrek story.

Lew Stringer

Re: Another new UK comic from Titan

Post by Lew Stringer »

PaulTwist wrote:Is all of the comic strip content UK-originated? I assume it is (UK spellings etc), but it's weird to see Marvel stalwart Tom DeFalco writing for a UK kids' comic!
I think Tom's just freelancing for a UK publisher just as we work for other countries. The strip has British artists, and Titan are commissioning UK creators so it is a brand new strip I believe.

Lew

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Having bought and read issue 1 now I must say I was fairly impressed by the way it didn't talk down to its readers. Although clearly aimed at a younger market than some other comics, it didn't simplify its language and sentence construction too much. And the pull out Shrek movie guide was solidly informative. I imagine kids would be really chuffed with it.

Hopefully if it's successful this will raise the bar for other comic mags to reverse this apparent downward spiral of simplifying text and dialogue in UK comics.

Lew

Earl

Post by Earl »

It looked ok but did not tempt me to buy.

Earl.