You and Yours-Friday 2nd May DFC Comic article

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

brisey

You and Yours-Friday 2nd May DFC Comic article

Post by brisey »

Was listening to You and Yours on Radio 4 today and there was an article about DFC the new comic coming at the end of May.

Based on the old style of comics-continued stories.no TV tie ins.Also of interest is the fact that Phillip Pullman is writing one tale.He waxes enthusiastically about comics.

You can hear it on BBC website from later on today-it is about 15 mins in and lasts about 15 mins

brian

Lew Stringer

Re: You and Yours-Friday 2nd May DFC Comic article

Post by Lew Stringer »

"The first (comic) of its type in more than 25 years"? What nonsense, (Oink! Triffik! Nipper, for just three examples) although that seems to be the only flaw in an otherwise fascinating item. David Fickling is obviously very enthusiastic about his new comic, and I hope it succeeds.

Some pages are now online to view at:

http://www.thedfc.co.uk/teaser_issue.html

Seems quite genteel for a modern comic, but after generations of traditional slapstick perhaps this less rowdy style is what kids want? (Or is it just what parents want for their kids?) If it DOES work it'll be interesting to see how it influences other comics. Will other publishers attempt a subscription-only title? (Risky.) Will they fill their pages with more strip? (Costly.) Time will tell.

Sadly, if it fails, publishers may assume that children's comics were only a 20th Century phenomenon and look towards filling the pages with even more magazine content. Let's hope not.

Either way, interesting times ahead...

Lew
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

Captain Storm

Post by Captain Storm »

Most of it looks like it was drawn by me!!!!!!!!!!And color filled by Photoshop seems to be very much to the fore.Not organic enough.I'm starting to sound like an old fart now but that's how I feel.Still artists back in the day would have used such techniques if they were available to them,I suppose.One or 2 strips look okay.I suppose we are used to seeing the likes of half-starved post WW2 kids dreaming of feasts and playing pranks on Teach and the Postie.Times move on and this could be the way forward and the last days of the Empire?Only time will tell.

Nostalgic Cap!

brisey

Post by brisey »

Hopefully the Philip Pullman name might attract new readers and the fact it is published by Randon House-a reasonable sized publisher cannot be a bad thing.Striker was always after cash.

Will give it a try-if only to encourage them.But I do not think I am their market

brisey

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

theres some nice one in there
Vern and Lettuce love the graphic cute style.and good gag..
any of Jamies work..

Laura what it like working with Peadar...couldn't read that one.you mean you have to buy it... :) Sneeky..

the other strips don't grab me.......But thats first glance..

Maybe I should have my strip in there... :) Cowkid..

LauraH

Post by LauraH »

The DFC's been an interesting experience for me - and a steep learning curve! Longest continuous story I've ever worked on, also first strip more than a page or two long that I've coloured myself (and I am no expert colourist, believe me). Collaboration's the least of my worries, both DCT and TOXIC supply me with scripts to work from so I'm used to it... and Peadar's good at keeping things visual, which a lot of writers who aren't used to working in the field of comics don't manage.

I'm very much looking forward to seeing some of those strips on the website (of course, I've managed a sneaky peek at a few of them already :wink:), especially Jamie's one... :notworthy:

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

Some of those preview strips look interesting... and not what i was expecting. Look towards the bottom, it's only a tiny unreadable page but there's a very Rogue Trooper-esque strip down there. Also nice to see something from messrs. Etherington, thier "Malcolm Magic" strip is excellent! It's probably on sale at Bristol for those people going. (I decided to go and see some 'evvy metal instead this year)

tolworthy

Post by tolworthy »

There's an article on the DFC in yesterday(Thursday)'s Daily Mail, and it's pretty positive. Page 53, in Femail, entitled "Cripes! At last, REAL comics are making a comeback - and I can't wait for my weekly fix"

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

Trying to order with my Mastreo card (Switch) and it asks for the issue number.my card doesn't have one and won't let me order.I put in everything else..

very annoying..any ideas...
I put in the date it expires...the big long number...the name of card..

Garen

Post by Garen »

Can you put in a '0', Peter?

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

I've put in 0 and it seems to have worked......thank you..
Going for the 13 weeks offer

Hope Jamies work is in each issue..

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

There is a 2 page article about the DFC in today's Times Books section, sorry for letting people know so late but i buy all the papers on Saturday (what else is there to do but read papers?) and have only just got to it. There was also a half page in the Daily Mail earlier in the week.