Comic related on vinyl or records or CD's

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

Apart from all the Thunderbirds and Dr Who records on Vinyl has anyone else from UK Comics been on record?
I'm sure Madness/Suggs had something to do with Judge Dread a few years back.

[img:318:259]http://pic17.picturetrail.com/VOL797/40 ... 967809.jpg[/img]

Little Squelchy Thing

Post by Little Squelchy Thing »

Lest we forget the Oink! record that came bundled free with an issue of the comic!

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

Just remembered this one, I sent off for it by sending about ?2 to Viz,
It features Andy Partridge who used to be in XTC and John Otway played guitar.

[img:405:400]http://pic17.picturetrail.com/VOL797/40 ... 098692.jpg[/img]

Richard S.

Post by Richard S. »

'Loose Talk' released a Dan Dare single in co-operation with the New Eagle c.1982/83

Richard S.

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

Lieutenant Pigeon-Did a single called Deperate Dan :lol:

Stingray

Post by Stingray »

Yeah, I remember buying the Madness single - Mutants of Mega City One, more because of the ace Bolland cover than the music, although I seem to remember it not being that bad. Which is more than can be said for that awful 80's Dan Dare 7", which I also have the misfortune of owning, athough it's at my folks house which is probably why it hasn't been binned. The cover did actually have a Dan pic along with some 80's fashion victims if memory serves.... If anyone wants it :) Let me know. Not a comic character but Brian Bolland also did the art for a Drifters LP and I'm sure he did artwork in the 80's for a 12"or LP for a band I can't remember and it's annoying the hell out of me. Seem to remember it had characters with various body parts falling off and was a pretty darned good pic?!?! It's poss I actually own this one, although as it's likely at my parents place won't be able to check till Xmas. Pretty sure there was also a Trigan Empire LP which might have featured tales from the Empire mixed in with copious amounts of soft rock, although memory is a bit sketchy on this.
Andy

kevf

Post by kevf »

Not British, I know, but I have 33rpm 7-inch records that re-enact two Marvel comics circa 1974, and came bundled with the comic itself.

They are Escape From The Planet Of The Apes and Man-Thing. Each package is in a cardboard sleeve and I've left the POTA one wrapped in its sellophane (bought it in the 90s sometime).

The Man Thing dramatisation isn't bad, a bit like a radio play, and it matches the comic word for word. These obviously didn't catch on, since I picked mine up at a Comic Convention in the 90s, and the guy had a box of them.

Also, from memory, comic-related music:

Dan Dare (Doesn't Know It, But I Love The Mekon) - Elton John
Magneto & Titanium Man - Paul McCartney & Wings
I Am The Law - Human League
Kev F - Comic Genius
http://comicfestival.co.uk

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Not forgetting Transvision Vamp's 'Waiting for Halo Jones'. Loved Wendy James' voice. :P
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

[img:350:361]http://eil.com/newgallery/Anthrax-I-Am- ... -74974.jpg[/img]

Here's another one from Anthrax believe it or not! :wink:
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

steve

Post by steve »

Can't remember the name of the artist but he used to do the covers to Thin Lizzy albums. Some of them are very Neal Adams X-men influenced

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

There was the V for Vendetta single of course, released many years ago. Lyrics by Alan Moore from the interlude "This Vicious Cabaret" part of the comic strip.

Shaqui

Post by Shaqui »

Wasn't there an 'Abslom Daak - Dalek Killer' single or theme, released with one of the Dr Who mags?

:?

David Simpson

Post by David Simpson »

The Thin Lizzy cover artist was called Jim Fitzpatrick. He has his own website at http://www.jimfitzpatrick.ie/ where you can see lots of his Lizzy art, plus lots more.

David Simpson

Post by David Simpson »

Re: "Lest we forget the Oink! record that came bundled free with an issue of the comic!

The Oink Song was also released as a proper, hard 7" single. As far as I remember, the main man behind it was Marc Riley. He started off as bassist in The Fall, before leaving same to form his own band The Creepers. He had a side line drawing for Oink! before sliding sideways into radio. He hosts two shows on BBC 6Music nowadays, but is probably best known as Mark Radcliffe's former partner Lard in various Radio 1 timeslots.

Web stuff about him at http://www.planetbods.org/markandlard/b ... /marcriley if you're interested.

grumpy old man

Post by grumpy old man »

Seeing the Thunderbird 3 Mini album got me searching and I?ve got a Captain Scarlet is Indestructible mini album from ?67. Does the redoubtable Shaqui or any other Anderson buff know how many of these Century 21 records were produced?