IPC Fleetway or DC Thomson?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

IPC/Fleetway or DC Thomson?

IPC/ Fleetway
48%
DC Thomson
24%
Fleetway for action/ DCT for comedy
20%
DCT for action/ Fleetway for comedy
8%

Total votes: 25

starscape

Re: IPC Fleetway or DC Thomson?

Post by starscape »

dishes wrote:I agree with you, Paw. Maybe most of us feel that way since there's only been fifteen votes in this poll that has been running nine years.
Try voting. It doesn't work. There was an issue with voting forms years ago.
STARSCAPE Comic
http://facebook.com/Starscape-Comic-108831387707862/
comics, cartoons, music & movies

dishes

Post by dishes »

starscape wrote:
dishes wrote:I agree with you, Paw. Maybe most of us feel that way since there's only been fifteen votes in this poll that has been running nine years.
As was revealed a while back when we were voting on a far more serious question, you can vote if you change your "theme" in the preferences to garish blue.

But really, my post was not serious. I only posted it as a lighthearted way of drawing attention to how few votes had been cast, in case anyone was taking the results too seriously.

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

As a youngster I preferred DCT titles but as hit got to about 12 and over it was the likes of Smash, Thunder, Jet that I enjoyed. I was a big fan of the Odhams titles too!
A Face unclouded by thought.

geoff42

Post by geoff42 »

IPC/Fleetway for me on both action and humour... action beat bullet hands down, battle beat warlord hands down... I always preferred the likes of buster, whoopee, jackpot as opposed to beano, dandy, beezer. But, at the end of the day, the beano is still going while the rest has died. Action wise, 2000 ad is still going while the rest has died. So, you could say, it's a tie!

SID

Post by SID »

dishes wrote:
starscape wrote:
As was revealed a while back when we were voting on a far more serious question, you can vote if you change your "theme" in the preferences to garish blue.
That worked for me. Thanks. :up:
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

I had to think about it, as I didn't vote at the time. I went for IPC/Fleetway, for the simple reason that I love digging through a local comic shop to find old Whoopees, Whizzer and Chips and Busters, but while I do the same for DCT comics, it's not quite as much.

Billythecat

Post by Billythecat »

Steel Claw, Adam Eterno, The Spider, Janus Stark, Kelly's Eye-the characters that fired an imagination.

IPC Fleetway all the way.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Billythecat wrote:Steel Claw, Adam Eterno, The Spider, Janus Stark, Kelly's Eye-the characters that fired an imagination.

What about your namesake? :wink:

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

'The Leopard of Lime Street' might have been more apt for your name, Billy!

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

Billy the Cat is one of my favourite superheroes, has been for many years. But so is The Leopard. As someone who prefers heroes and action to war and funnies, Billy, Iron Fish, Inky Top Imps, Wild Young Dirky, Johnny Jett, Jack Flash Flip McCoy are just great. But then again, so are Steel Claw, Adam Eterno, The Spider, Janus Stark, Kelly's Eye, Jack O Justice, Spring Heeled Jackson etc. And as for those funnies that I said I wasn't as keen on, there are exceptions - Bash St Kids, Jonah and those wonderful DD Watkins strips. Simply genius. I still can't come down on one side or the other and this goes back to story papers also, because there were amazing MMM's, detectives and adventurers in them. Blake, Dixon Hawke, Black Whip, Flaming Avenger, the guy with the throwing ball - masked, of course, Captain Justice. I don't really care which company produced the papers in which they appeared, I enjoy their adventures.
You'll have noticed that my listings are for old(er) characters as I don't know much about what's been in British weeklies over the last couple of decades. And those I have tried, for the most part leave me :snoring: Sorry. Still :?

Billythecat

Post by Billythecat »

Lew Stringer wrote:
Billythecat wrote:Steel Claw, Adam Eterno, The Spider, Janus Stark, Kelly's Eye-the characters that fired an imagination.

What about your namesake? :wink:
Excellent point Lew and ISPYSHHHGUY! While the aforementioned characters lit up my world they were indeed pre-dated by a certain Billy the Cat who deserved an honourable mention at the very least. I loved Billy and smashed quite a lot of vases and ornaments emulating his efforts as a child.

geoff42

Post by geoff42 »

My first comic was Beano while my younger brother's, a year younger, was Monster Fun. While I never admitted it at the time, I always looked forward to reading next week's issue of my sibling's choice. Again, a year later, my first action comic was Bullet while my brother chose Action and, again (bless him), he won out with the best decision. Fleetway always seemed to be more interesting in the late seventies. When Action merged with Battle, I tried out Warlord and was quickly dismissive of it. Due to paternal pressure, we put Victor on our weekly subscription but I never embraced it. However, I did embrace the likes of Buddy and Crunch. By this time, Fleetway were struggling outside of 2000 ad and Battle. The photo stories of the new Eagle was a complete turn off.

SID

Post by SID »

Never was a fan of photo strips so was glad when the new Eagle converted to standard artwork.
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).