Buster's Dad

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: AndyB, colcool007

Digifiend

Re: Buster's Dad

Post by Digifiend »

Is Ivy actually the middle name for one of them, or is one a great-aunt? Because parents don't give siblings the same name normally (unless you're Michael Jackson, whose youngest son Blanket really shares his older brother's name Prince). So your mother, and your father's sister, should be the limit. :?

And I see you posted that last message twice. The missing post bug strikes again.

Niblet

Post by Niblet »

I suspect the writer who produced that Auntie Flo script forgot that Buster's mum's name is Flo. I presume Flo was only ever referred to as Mum in the Buster strips.

dishes

Post by dishes »

Thank you Niblet for saying what I was about to say.

Besides, the "son of Andy Capp" stuff was dropped when Reg Smythe had something to say about it (or so I read). By the time Reg Parlett was drawing her, Buster's Mum bore no resemblance to Florrie from the Daily Mirror besides the hairstyle and headscarf. And so much the better for her! Can you imagine having to look after Buster and Andy Capp at the same time? So, in other words, there is no reason to think that her name WAS Flo at that point. (In the same way us disgruntled Dandy readers of the late '80s had to accept that Cuddles's original parents had been written out of history altogether.)

By those late Buster strips, where Buster's original paternity is acknowledged, enough water had run under the bridge, and I guess it didn't matter any more.

As to comic characters not having the same name, how about the Four Marys?
Is it weird to have no interest in keeping or collecting free gifts?

My artwork: http://www.iancockburn.co.uk

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Double post, dishes. In the case of the Four Marys it was a plot point, it's part of the reason why they became friends in the first place. They were usually identified by their surnames instead, which considering it's set in a boarding school wouldn't be unrealistic anyway.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I've no idea why but a few of my recent posts have just vanished. I think my dad married an Ivy and so did his brother and they possibly had a sister called Ivy as well. Oddly we had no idea our Uncle Ron had died earlier this year until we saw his face beaming out at us from the memorials page of our local paper. I recognised him straight away even though I hadn't seen him since about 1969.