Buster's Dad

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

stevezodiac

Re: Buster's Dad

Post by stevezodiac »

Singer Alan Price wrote a stage musical about Andy Capp back in the 70s and there was a TV series of Andy Capp in the late 80s or early 90s. James Bolam played Andy and it featured cartoon drawn backgrounds. I can't remember the actresse's name who played Flo but she is still acting in Emmerdale I think. I also grew up presuming Andy was a cockney as i grew up in London's docklands and all the dockers wore flat caps and smoked roll ups.

Steve Henderson

Post by Steve Henderson »

Was it Betty from Emmerdale? How do I know this? Why is all this useless crap in my head? Unfortunatly Andy didnt actually star in the simpsons he was only referenced, the Simpsons humour is not as sketchy as Family Guy thats prob why Andy appeared in it in person!

I wonder if the forum will censor 'crap' if not replace it with FITBIN (one for the hardcore Viz nutters there)

Steve Henderson

'Andy Crapp' by 'Reg Shite' actually appeared in the Viz, theres the link!

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Curiously enough the very American Playboy once featured a risqué version of Andy Capp in its comic section!

- Phil R.
Last edited by philcom55 on 09 Feb 2009, 18:30, edited 1 time in total.

bustercomic

Post by bustercomic »

On the whole origins thing I used to think that Buster Capp was from Essex purely because in the 1990s that was the address to send letters to........it didn't occur to me he'd be from anywhere else.......
http://www.bustercomic.co.uk - The World's Most Comprehensive Buster Website

You Voted For The Top 100 Strips......The Results Are Now In at Bustercomic.co.uk

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

Yes Steve, Flo in the Andy Capp TV series, which only had one series in 1988, was indeed played by 'Betty' from Emmerdale aka actress Paula Tilbrook. So at least the junk in your head is correct at least in this instance.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Not sure if I should be taking offence at that "Junk in your head" comment. Us Millwall supporters do have our sensitive side you know. Must go, its time for my pedicure. Nicely presented tootsies are a must round here.

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

I remember my Mum buying this for my Dad in the 1970's it was made for Avon full of talcum powder.

Last edited by steelclaw on 12 Feb 2009, 00:29, edited 1 time in total.

Steve Henderson

stevezodiac wrote:Not sure if I should be taking offence at that "Junk in your head" comment. Us Millwall supporters do have our sensitive side you know. Must go, its time for my pedicure. Nicely presented tootsies are a must round here.
I think he was talking about me mate, read my earlier comment. hope you enjoyed your pedicure!

Dizrythmia

Post by Dizrythmia »

I know I haven't updated my website for a LONG time, but the info is still all there. If it's Buster & Andy you want I have a few examples here:

http://www.bustercomic.com/comics/b/buster.html

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I realise this post has reached a natural conclusion but looking through some 1990s Busters the other night (still a very good comic at that time) I found these little nuggets of info:
Attachments
ebay nov. 2010 082.jpg
ebay nov. 2010 083.jpg

Niblet

Post by Niblet »

Either Buster's mum's sister is also called Flo, or maybe Auntie Flo is Andy's sister, or Flo is Buster's mum's aunt. If the scriptwriter at this time was aware that Buster's mum's name is Flo, why didn't he call her Auntie Ethel to avoid confusion?

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Maybe Andy Capp has a sister called Flo. So it's perfectly possible for Buster's Aunt and Mum to have the same name. But it certainly won't be Ma Flo's sister! :)

Niblet

Post by Niblet »

Digifiend wrote:Maybe Andy Capp has a sister called Flo. So it's perfectly possible for Buster's Aunt and Mum to have the same name.
Yes, that's what I said - "or maybe Auntie Flo is Andy's sister".

But why use an existing character's name?

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Not a clue. Comics usually have a One Steve Limit (i.e. no duplicate names - it's on TV Tropes), but obviously not in this case.