MOST `Nauseating` comic character of all time!

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

alanultron5

MOST `Nauseating` comic character of all time!

Post by alanultron5 »

Yes!! even in the best of comics there is a strip-or to be more precise, a character that one cannot abide in the least!

This thread gives anyone a chance to state which character really got on their wick and why!

Mine? Without any doubt, "Invisible Dick" who darkened the Sparky doorstep in issue 108 (11th Feb 1967). By 1969 this strip was OH SO!! monotenous in constantly re-treading it's one major storyline of Dick always `besting` some bully, or bullies!

What was worse was he utterly smug aside to the readers at the end of each story! By 1971 I had had enough! I wrote a very cheeky letter to the Sparky (my last to them) accusing them of `conning` readers with this strip. I expanded my theme by saying it was easy money for the `Throgmorton` of a writer to be regulary paid for just the same plot each week!

Then, I went rather over the top!! I said that I was sick of Dick's `pig-ugly` mush and would `kick-in` every one of my Sparky's with his fizzog grinning back at the readers! I would put the bits in a big envelope and post it to the editir! Of course I had no such intentions; but I wanted them to believe that I would actually do that!

I ended my letter with a rhyme "Invisible Dick, Makes Me F*****G Sick! I Want to Smash his Face and give his B******S One Hell of a Kick" (I self-censored those two naughty words for this forum) I was 15 then and was giving up comics anyway! I just wanted the Sparky staff to know what I thought of that particulary strip! Very OTT by me... but it is how I was back then!

Anyone else have an `Invisible Dick`
A Face unclouded by thought.

chrissmillie

Re: MOST `Nauseating` comic character of all time!

Post by chrissmillie »

Vernon Kay.

I know he's not strictly a comic character but I feel he must be mentioned when the subject of extreme nausea arises.

Aside from that, Wolverine. Talk about overused!
STARSCAPE
http://www.StarscapeComic.co.uk
Classic British reprints and all-new comics

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

I remember when i was growing out of comics it was Ivy The Terrible that finally made me switch off. She'd be "practising" for something all the time, causing chaos, and then would end with some limp punchline. I remember the last one well, she was practising for opening christmas / birthday presents. One part of this practice involved running over a can of beans with a steamroller, which splatted her dad as they were popped out. I suppose with hindsight it wasn't that bad :lol:

Nowadays, well i suppose with my comic preferences (1890's-1930's adventure story papers) the most annoying things to read are the stereotyped "comedy n****r" characters. It's not so much the terrible poltical incorrectness (this can actually make such things funny again, but in a completley different "people beleived this?" incredulous way) but because they are so predictable and all the same. A case in point being the one, i think he was called Pete, from the "Secret of the Wondergat" serial from the paper Boys of the Empire in 1900, who was constantly electrocuting himself, falling out of the submarine the story took place on, or being caught by the bizarre underworld people after blundering out and falling off the submarine again.

Captain Storm

Post by Captain Storm »

Dennis the Menace.Just could never understand how he was so popular.Then again,I was a Beezer and Topper fan.Pop,Dick and Harry,Ali's Baba,Ginger,..et al.

The Cap.

STARBOY

Post by STARBOY »

I didnt find any particual character a major problem/turn off - I think I just got bored with (mostly) DCTs comics art style in books like the Victor and Hornet, they seemed so drab and the art looked (mostly) rushed, on poor quality paper etc compared to the art in US comics by the likes of Barry Smith, Neal Adams, the Buscema brothers , Jim Aparo, Colan, Kirby etc at the time - now I look back and I see some real gems I missed in those books in the early - mid 70s.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

chrissmillie wrote:Aside from that, Wolverine. Talk about overused!
Of course he gets used a lot. He's very popular! He has his own title (published here as part of Wolverine and Deadpool), and also of course appears in the X-Men comic, and Avengers sometimes as well I think.

Even the Beano mentioned him this week, although that was to promote X-Men Origins.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

With me it would have to be the appalling Captain Hurricane: four and a half pages in the otherwise brilliant Valiant wasted every week on the same old story! Marvel's Bruce Banner used to say "you wouldn't like me when I'm angry" - as far as I was concerned the same thing applied to Hercules Hurricane...and he was always angry!!! :roll:

- Phil Rushton

grumpy old man

Post by grumpy old man »

Apart from the obvious Sgt Fury/Rock type war story, where a squad of men manage to defeat a previous all conquering army without collecting as much as a scratch between them, it has to be Lord Snooty!

OK it’s probably inverted snobbery on my part, but he always has and always will grate on my nerves aargh! The puns are clichéd and telegraphed, his grotesque friends were long past their sell by dates. Why did it last so long?

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

philcom55 wrote:With me it would have to be the appalling Captain Hurricane: four and a half pages in the otherwise brilliant Valiant wasted every week on the same old story!
Agreed. I used to skip those pages usually, but then I did that with most pre-Battle war strips. With All Our Yesterdays and The World at War on tv showing the grim horrors of WW2 the gung ho flippancy of the comic strips just didn't work for me.

Lew
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

Phil! I nearly plumped for Cap H! But `Dick` won out! Those stories in Valiant were RUBBISH!! One had the Captain, after getting into a `Ragin' Fury` blowing down one manhole with the result that previously hidden Jerries are blown out of other manholes nearby! Ever Superman would be hard pushed! I wrote a very cheeky letter to Valiant asking if the writer of Captain Hurricane was a Junkie! I just didn't care back then! It all but ruined Valiant and Smash for me, a load o' bilge!!
A Face unclouded by thought.

Robbie Moubert

Post by Robbie Moubert »

I'm another one who used to skip Captain Hurricane every week. After a quick appetiser with The Nutts it would be straight on to the main course of Kelly's Eye!

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

I am reading all my whizzer & chips at the moment and for me it is footsie the clown and i aint even up to watford gapp yet but that may change as i have about 1000 busters to get through yet.
big bad bri

wilsia

Post by wilsia »

I hated Capt Hurricane, storylines with the same old same old and yet he was always given so much coverage in annuals and specials usually hogging the colour pages. He must have been a favourite with readers, why I never know.

Also hated Safest hands in Soccer from Roy of the Rovers, Pouncy Gordon with his blow dry barnet it was like having David Van Day in goals.

I wonder whose idea was it to call him "Gordon". No offence to any Gordons out there but imagine calling a football hero "Gordon"

Robbie Moubert

Post by Robbie Moubert »

As an Everton fan I have to mention goalie Gordon West. Even more famous of course was England 'keeper Gordon Banks, especially for that save against Pele.

STARBOY

Post by STARBOY »

I forgot about Captain Hurricane - I have to add my voice behind that as well no a high spot ogf UK comics in many ways (nice art though) - although I have to say I loved Lord Snooty (Dudley Watkins version) very dated even in the 60s but he was a big part of my Beano days.