What comics did you buy today?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Adam Eterno

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Post by Adam Eterno »

koollectablz wrote:Ah it’s always the chase for me! I can be after something for years, finally get it, read it and then a week later move it on.

It’s enough for me to have ‘had’ it.
I'm the same as you both. The chase and acquisition is the fun for me. Once I have the set, I'll then move on to something else.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Kashgar wrote:
Adam Eterno wrote:Over Christmas I did a whole load of deals on Commando comics, picking up another 38 issues meaning that I only need 3 for the set now.
I'm sure you'll savour the moment Adam when that final issue pops through the letter box. It's a strange thing but I'm not sure, personally, that the final pleasure of having completed the collection of a big title ever matches up to that thrill of looking for the final few issues. But maybe that's just me.
Why do you think I am holding on to the 5 issues I have for him Ray? It's not out of badness, but from a sense of I want Adam to savour the moment when they arrive.

On a slightly related note, how many of the Football PSM do you have Ray? And if you have the full run, would you mind helping me with the credits?
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

[/quote]
On a slightly related note, how many of the Football PSM do you have Ray? And if you have the full run, would you mind helping me with the credits?[/quote]
Hi Col, I do have a lot of these which I bought as they were published. Not sure if I stayed with it till the end though. They are somewhere in the attic with a lot of other low priority i.e. less consulted titles. If you don't mind waiting I'll try to ferret them out.

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

Oh yes, the chase. That's the best bit. There is a nice, quiet satisfaction in finding and securing that elusive issue.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Kashgar wrote: On a slightly related note, how many of the Football PSM do you have Ray? And if you have the full run, would you mind helping me with the credits?

Hi Col, I do have a lot of these which I bought as they were published. Not sure if I stayed with it till the end though. They are somewhere in the attic with a lot of other low priority i.e. less consulted titles. If you don't mind waiting I'll try to ferret them out.
Oh I'll happily wait. I have got some of the credits sorted out but fancy having a proper dig at them now that the Commando index is complete!

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

colcool007 wrote: Why do you think I am holding on to the 5 issues I have for him Ray? It's not out of badness, but from a sense of I want Adam to savour the moment when they arrive.
Am I alone in thinking that this is all rather childish?

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

Phoenix wrote:
colcool007 wrote: Why do you think I am holding on to the 5 issues I have for him Ray? It's not out of badness, but from a sense of I want Adam to savour the moment when they arrive.
no you are not alone in your thinking Derek :lol:

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

Phoenix wrote:
I wouldn’t be so rude as to call it childish, I’d call it having fun or banter. It’s what friends do with one another. I was also taught that if I couldn’t say something nice then it was better to not say anything at all. Col has very kindly given me two of the remaining 3 comics I needed out of his own collection meaning I only need one now which I should hopefully acquire on Saturday.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Adam Eterno wrote:I wouldn’t be so rude as to call it childish
I wasn't being rude. I used the word childish because it is childish. By delaying his posting of the five issues to you, Adam, and the pleasure you will get when they do arrive, Col is just being silly. Why can't he just put them in the post straightaway and have done with it? We are all adults on this site when all's said and done. I have nothing further to add on this matter.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

I would rather be childish and child-like than lose my wonder at this world in which we live in. There is too much doom and gloom in this world so I will do my damnedest to keep hold of anything that brings a smile to my face, plus Adam and I will quite often chat on the phone regarding comics, collecting, family and to co-ordinate our comic bidding on Ebay.

On a lighter note, I had great pleasure in receiving a box of 21 kg of Commandos yesterday that had been cherry picked by a fellow Commando collector who did me a very good deal and the price of postage was literally 7 Commandos. The fact that they had been signed by Ian Kennedy might have helped! :lol:

And I continued to expand my collection of comics from around the world when a very nice Finn send me four copies of Korkeajännitys aka High Voltage. Now all I need is Starscape to find me a copy of one of the Middle East ones and then I have at least examples of each of the known licensed versions of Commando!

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

colcool007 wrote:
And I continued to expand my collection of comics from around the world when a very nice Finn send me four copies of Korkeajännitys aka High Voltage. Now all I need is Starscape to find me a copy of one of the Middle East ones and then I have at least examples of each of the known licensed versions of Commando!
What’s the name of the Middle Eastern version and do you know which country it’s licensed to? I only have School boy Arabic as I lived in Saudi as a kid but I also have quite a few friends in various countries out there. I owe you!

koollectablz

Post by koollectablz »

This is going to be quite the situation when you have the last remaining one!

To have a full a set of Commando is actually quite an achievement tbh. If you have the money it’s easy to get sets of many titles - American comics for instance are always available.

But British comics are a completely different story.

As soon as you get the last one we need a whole collection pic! I’m actually quite excited for you... :P

starscape

Post by starscape »

Adam Eterno wrote:
colcool007 wrote:
What’s the name of the Middle Eastern version and do you know which country it’s licensed to? I only have School boy Arabic as I lived in Saudi as a kid but I also have quite a few friends in various countries out there. I owe you!
All I can say is I bought the #1 issue in Egypt in the mid-late 2000s. Unfortunately, I don't seem to have it anymore. Wish I could remember more. I'll trawl through the comic boxes again in the vain hope...
STARSCAPE Comic
http://facebook.com/Starscape-Comic-108831387707862/
comics, cartoons, music & movies

Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

Going back well over 100 years to the very beginnings of British comics..............I was very pleased to find and buy 80 copies of 'Scraps' comic from 1883/84, which includes nos 1 to 6. Haven't got them yet, but very excited to get my hands on them. :)

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

Hawkeye wrote:Going back well over 100 years to the very beginnings of British comics..............I was very pleased to find and buy 80 copies of 'Scraps' comic from 1883/84, which includes nos 1 to 6. Haven't got them yet, but very excited to get my hands on them. :)
What a fantastic find! Please load pictures when they arrive