What comics did you buy today?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Chalky

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Post by Chalky »

Today I received the 'MY FAVOURITE SOCCER STARS' complete album with all cards inside. This was originally given away free with Buster between February 7th 1970 and February 28th 1970.

I already had a copy of the February 7th issue which the album was given away free with (and the other Feb issues also) and it was nice to pair them up after 53 years!

jim244

Post by jim244 »

Chalky wrote:
15 Aug 2023, 19:50
Today I received the 'MY FAVOURITE SOCCER STARS' complete album with all cards inside. This was originally given away free with Buster between February 7th 1970 and February 28th 1970.

I already had a copy of the February 7th issue which the album was given away free with (and the other Feb issues also) and it was nice to pair them up after 53 years!
Brilliant !!!!!

George Shiers

Post by George Shiers »

I have finally completed my set of Willy the Kid badges that I've been after for quite a while. My only question - what order did they come in?? :?:
Attachments
IMG_0046.jpg
Visit my blog all about British comics old and new! http://www.whackycomics.blogspot.com

abacus

Post by abacus »

Picked up the Tonto comic for £2.50 from the charity shop this morning and having seen the comic in the shop window for weeks am suprised it was still there.
Then went on to the market and got the Western roundup annual for £2.
Guess it's only the old timers that remember when westerns were popular :)

jim244

Post by jim244 »

abacus wrote:
16 Aug 2023, 14:24
Picked up the Tonto comic for £2.50 from the charity shop this morning and having seen the comic in the shop window for weeks am suprised it was still there.

“You mean you'd trade me for a horse?”
“It's up to Doc." — "The Outlaw”, 1943.

Great finds.

Into The Abyss

Post by Into The Abyss »

jim244 wrote:
19 Aug 2023, 14:34
abacus wrote:
16 Aug 2023, 14:24

“You mean you'd trade me for a horse?”
“It's up to Doc." — "The Outlaw”, 1943.

Great finds.
I second that jim244. Nice finds Abacus. :)
Well, hello there! :wave:

Chalky

Post by Chalky »

Today I received 21 Buster comics: 15 from 1970 and 6 from 1971

abacus

Post by abacus »

Seem to be bumping into cowboy comics lately, found the this one on the market during my weekly town visit .Paid £2.
Saw some superhero comics for a pound but they were newish and the type I am not really keen on.

Captain underpants

Post by Captain underpants »

I got this week from Amazon the UFO comic anthology volume one , a cracking read it’s the UFO comic strips from Countdown and TV Action , I will be ordering volume two shortly, I missed out on the Fireball Xl5 anthology as that’s sold out and someone is trying for £399 on Amazon for a copy. It’s a shame that DC Thompson don’t do these sort of books with their Adventure stories

Chalky

Post by Chalky »

Question for anyone who collects the Buster comic;

Last week I received 5 Buster comics in the post which on inspection looked like they were trimmed with a guillotine at home rather than at the original printers. The edges are very neat and sharp, i.e. no fraying at the edges and some have been trimmed very slightly crooked.

The affected dates are:

June 27th 1970
July 4th 1970
July 11th 1970
July 18th 1970
July 25th 1970

I have since seen the same dates for sale elsewhere with the exact same amount of trimming, i.e. the top, bottom and side has been trimmed off and the comic is smaller than usual as a consequence. See example here on Ebay (not mine, just used for ref.) https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203875799686 ... R6CxpZPGYg

My 20th June copy that I have is the correct size as is my copy of 1st August 1970. Has anybody else got a copy of any one of these dates and would they mind checking to see if they are smaller than their copies of the preceeding months (May/start of June) and following months (August/September).

Many thanks!

Chalky

Post by Chalky »

I've probably answered my own question here re. the 1970's trimmed Busters.

Phil Comics sold 2 from my dates listed above (27th June & 18th July) and both have the same trimming and have been photographed next to other Busters of the same era which are larger in comparison.

See here: http://www.phil-comics.com/Preview.php?16294@UA==

It's likely the printer strikes from this period meant they couldn't trim them using their regular machiney and for a 5 week period they were trimmed using a more primitive method.

Stevendoig

Post by Stevendoig »

Screenshot_20230826_140442_com.google.android.apps.photos~2.jpg
Someone dropped off 200 comics today. Mainly commandos, but these were the highlights for me.

Very pleased with the early Starblazer, and the Conflict libraries are new to me!! :)

Into The Abyss

Post by Into The Abyss »

Stevendoig wrote:
26 Aug 2023, 15:31
Screenshot_20230826_140442_com.google.android.apps.photos~2.jpg

Someone dropped off 200 comics today. Mainly commandos, but these were the highlights for me.

Very pleased with the early Starblazer, and the Conflict libraries are new to me!! :)
Nice find stevendoig. Well done! Had a. similar in the mid- 90s when me & my brother went to our local boot sale and found over 100 Commando comic libraries in near mint condition from the early 1960s for under a £10. Think they were numbered in the low teens to a hundred something? Can't really remember. Anyway, he later sold them to a collector from Pembrokeshire for about £300.

Stevendoig

Post by Stevendoig »

I've never comic across numbers that low nowadays. I suppose collectors hang on to the early ones

Into The Abyss

Post by Into The Abyss »

Stevendoig wrote:
28 Aug 2023, 19:53
I've never comic across numbers that low nowadays. I suppose collectors hang on to the early ones
Yeah, the early Commando's go for eye-watering sums when they turn up. 👀

Also, sourced today a Buster comic from the 16th December 1989 to marry another page of 'The Vampire Brats artwork that I bought ' direct from Lew Stringer himself.

Got recently a second page of Red Dwarf Smegazine Androids art direct from Kevin F Sutherland too.. Will upload both to the forum asap. 🙂👍