What comics did you buy today?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

ISPYSHHHGUY

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

philcom55 wrote:
ISPYSHHHGUY wrote:
stevezodiac wrote:...I wonder what Brucie is doing now?
wow!
Yeah!

MacNee and Rigg look pretty impressive too! :)

- Phil R.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

SID

Post by SID »

Through the post, I got this week's 2000AD and IDW Judge Dredd 4.
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

I have some London Region `TV World` mags from 1966 (29 Jan to 12 March 1966 and 29 October 28 November 1966; plus some from April to June 1968! I got these for their coverage of `Mystery and Imagination` and two 1966 ones have `M&I` covers! Wish I could fins a way of posting them on here! Tried J.Peg & PDF Compact with no results!
A Face unclouded by thought.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Funny you should mention Mystery and Imagination as I spent yesterday morning lying in bed watching Journey to the Unknown the complete series 1968-69. A strange series - filmed in Britain with loads of British character actors but with an American star each week and it was made by Twentieth Century Fox - William Self. Its not an official dvd release - one of those home made efforts from the comic fair but if it was officially released I'd buy it. Adrienne Posta was in one episode - I really liked her - wonder what happened to her?

suebutcher

Post by suebutcher »

"Ever since the dawn of time, nothing can match 'The Terror Of Tim Boo Ba!'" In other words, "Amazing Adult Fantasy" #9, just about the first American comic I ever saw. The bathetic ending of the title tale is unforgettable. Actually, once you get past the monster, some of this is quite good.

blaing

Post by blaing »

Received in the mail from eBay today was No. 1 of BeanoMAX and I bought today No. 3665 of the Beano (I haven't been able to buy this until today as they didn't seem to have the issue on Friday (probably a late delivery), and the rotten weather we had yesterday.)

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

I am adding this very unusual item on behalf of Alanultron-----2 more similar items to come [some probs capturing the images on my hard-drive, but I will Percy Veer:]

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

more Sparky press-kit material:

Oh, to Hell with it, here's the first one resized for clarity:

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

Many, Many thanks Rab! I just could not get these on myself- but Rab so kindly agreed to try for me - cheers! :cheers: :cheers:

I have phoned DC Thomson archives and spoken to Leena Mitford, their archivist! It seems that Thomsons do not have any other `Sparky` related `Solicitations/Ads` Hence I sent to them P.Copies of what rab has so kindly now put on this site!

Seems these `solicications` that were sent to newsagents are extraordinarily rare! To get these I had to but a `package` of a Specimin copy of Sparky No1 (Superb condition) along with free gift (Flying Snorter) to get these cards/leaflets!

This was `NOT` via E.Bay- it was a private transaction! I paid £405.00 which to some may be high-but at least I now have two Sparky No1s with gifts-and! these advert cards! Once again, many thanks to Rab! :) :) :)

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

suebutcher wrote:"Ever since the dawn of time, nothing can match 'The Terror Of Tim Boo Ba!'" In other words, "Amazing Adult Fantasy" #9, just about the first American comic I ever saw. The bathetic ending of the title tale is unforgettable. Actually, once you get past the monster, some of this is quite good.
Oh wow! I'd dearly love a copy of that (though I do have the omnibus edition of AAF that Marvel put out a couple of years ago). Some of those pre-Marvel Monsters had names that initially left your brain unsure whether to be awed or mortally embarrassed - until something clicked and the balance slowly but surely tilted towards 'awe'! (anybody remember Fin Fang Foom?). Of course, in the case of Shagg the Unstoppable, embarrassment was inevitable!

Hmmm, it's only just occurred to me but, bearing in mind 'Tim's' ultimate fate, I wonder if Stan Lee could have deliberately named him after Tiny Tim? :?

Incidentally I think Stan must have really liked Tim Boo Ba as well since he subsequently got Howard Purcell to redraw the same story as a 'Tale from the Watcher' in Silver Surfer no.4.

- phil R.
Last edited by philcom55 on 27 Feb 2013, 10:56, edited 1 time in total.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

alanultron5 wrote:Many, Many thanks Rab! I just could not get these on myself- but Rab so kindly agreed to try for me - cheers! :cheers: :cheers:

I have phoned DC Thomson archives and spoken to Leena Mitford, their archivist! It seems that Thomsons do not have any other `Sparky` related `Solicitations/Ads` Hence I sent to them P.Copies of what rab has so kindly now put on this site!

Seems these `solicications` that were sent to newsagents are extraordinarily rare! To get these I had to but a `package` of a Specimin copy of Sparky No1 (Superb condition) along with free gift (Flying Snorter) to get these cards/leaflets!

This was `NOT` via E.Bay- it was a private transaction! I paid £405.00 which to some may be high-but at least I now have two Sparky No1s with gifts-and! these advert cards! Once again, many thanks to Rab! :) :) :)

you're welcome, Alan----that's a considerable premium you paid for this rare material---was it the original paste-up stuff? That is: put together with cut-out original artwork and lettering, seen in 'raised' form, and not a flat photocopy?

You used to see this sort of thing at Thomsons' all the time in the 80s---although like almost everything in commerce, that sort of thing is likely all computerized these days....

EDIT: I've just read that circulatory letter above: did some newsagents really take 46 dozen of a single comic back in 1965?! I know it was a 'free gift' bonanza etc, ---in this case---but sure enough, I do remember seeing piles of comics stacked up high in [the 60s and early 70s] lying flat on the newsagents' table.

Surely it was 46?!

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

Yes Rab! Its 46 dozen all right! You asked about the format of the cards. I think it is the latter-but I may be wrong as I don't have your expertise Rab on these thins - anyhow, it is certainly a rare item!

I asked Leena at Thomsons Archives if there might be any Dandy/Beano such related items! I know Phil Shrimpton of `Phil Comics` would be interested!

The only other such items I have seen were in the `Peterice` site. This had a Newsagents card for the Sept 1965 Sparky overhaul with gifts and two sets of `Solicitations` for the March 1966 and 1972 Sparky promotions/gifts! Sadly, Peter has either lost or mislaid these (I do hope its the latter) I do have photos of the two 1960s offers from his site, but clarity; especially on the 1966 ones not too great!

But! It proves these things were sent to retailers when comics underwent free gift-promotions! Oh yes! Peter also had a 1969-70? Beezer related promotion card which too, is now missing from his stock!

I am also involved in trying to track down any surviving Telly ads for comics when they launched or gave free gifts in promotions/overhauls. I have got one for `Diana` comic when it gave away the `Mermaid Ring` I think that `Diana` was a Fleetway comic!

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

alanultron5 wrote: I think that `Diana` was a Fleetway comic!
Alan, it was a DC Thomson comic, as I mentioned yesterday when you brought this up on the girls comics thread.

I also linked to an ad from Diana, which may interest you as a Sparky fan:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_448y6kVhntg/T ... ianaad.jpg

The actual free gift can be seen on this post, although I think you already have 'Target Tiddlywinks':
http://lewstringer.blogspot.co.uk/2010/ ... art-1.html

Hope that helps.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Diana was a photogravure comic published by DC Thomson (I suspect you've missed some posts to that effect Alan). Though the initial launch of Sparky wasn't advertised there some later free gift issues were. I'll see if I can track down the 'mermaid ring' you mention.

- Phil Rushton

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

Thank you Phil! So far, its the only `telly` Ad I have re a comic! My `El Dorado` would be those 1965 Ads for the launch of `Sparky` as well as their other ads when they did all those nine `overhauls/free gift` promotions 1965 to 74! but! by chance, if I get any other comic ads - providing I `Can` track any down - I will let folks know! I know Phil Shrimpton would be most interested in Dandy/Beano ones!

I had thought about opening a thread about the Newsagent Soliciataion cards, but as these are so phenomanally rare I chose to put it on this thread-with most kind assisstance from Rab (ISpysssshguy!) Smith :) :)