What comics did you buy today?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Raven

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Post by Raven »

I received a Buster and Cor!! from 7th September 1974.

Feeling very much a companion paper to Valiant, with quite a packed feel, the combined comic has a really good line-up at this point, including Faceache, Pete's Pocket Army, Marney the Fox, Rent-a-Ghost, Ski-Board Squad, Clever Dick, Fishboy and others. Great artist line-up, including: Joe Colquhoun, Francisco Solano López, Reg Parlett, plenty of Leo Baxendale, and Ken Reid doesn't seem especially tamed for Faceache.
Attachments
Faceache from Buster and Cor 7th September 1974.jpg

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Raven wrote:I received a Buster and Cor!! from 7th September 1974.

Feeling very much a companion paper to Valiant, with quite a packed feel, the combined comic has a really good line-up at this point, including Faceache, Pete's Pocket Army, Marney the Fox, Rent-a-Ghost, Ski-Board Squad, Clever Dick, Fishboy and others. Great artist line-up, including: Joe Colquhoun, Francisco Solano López, Reg Parlett, plenty of Leo Baxendale, and Ken Reid doesn't seem especially tamed for Faceache.

Excellent stuff. That dialogue sounds like Ken wrote that one himself. (Or at least perhaps was given free reign to rewrite it.) It was later, when he was taken off writing his own material, when his work lost some of its sparkle. Also of course, by that time (the 1980s) he was getting older, and nearing his untimely end, which would have perhaps been reflected in his drawing style. But any Ken Reid page has its moments of brilliance.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

Today I got the Viz Summer Autumn Winter Spring Holiday Special, from 1988. I'd never heard of it before, and I don't know if some parts are reprints, or if it's all original. The Finbarr Saunders story must be, though, it's a whole 12 pages! (which by Viz standards is War and Peace!). The Sid the Sexist story in it was one of the ones made into an animation, where he starts to think everybody foreign is German.

Yesterday I got an American book reprinting 100 "Tijuana Bibles" (don't google it at work!), with commentary and essays. Incredible to think this stuff (very nearly wrote 'stiff' by accident :lol: ) was being produced at the same time as The Magnet... but I suppose people of every generation are the same underneath!

Mr McScotty

Post by Mr McScotty »

I picked the latest "Captain America" issue 10 and IDWs "Judge Dredd Classics" issue 2 which was really good with Bolland, Dillon etc art although the pages are in a strange format to cope with the UK to US format changes I also picked up the the last issue of "CLiNT" -Also picke dup up a bunch of 50p comics from Glasgow's City Centre comics (all US) most pretty awful but some nice ones like a couple of Sergio Marvel/Epic Aragones "Groos" (74 and 82), Eclipse "Rio at bay" (excellent Bill Wildey art) Plastic MAN 20 21 (Kyle Barkers excellent series) and a Dark Horse "Conan the Cimmerian\" issue 14 (Joe Kubert, Tim Trueman)

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

I went to the carboot sale this morning, I've never seen so many comics for sale.
About 75 Busters from 1979-84.
Piles of
Whizzer and chips
Warlord
Eagle
Battle
Beano's.
Jack and jill
I ended up buying
3 Scream comics which included the final issue
Krazy holiday special
Dandy holiday special
Buster holiday special
Eagle holiday special
and 3 Jack and Jill comics 1959/1961/1962
Total price £3.

starscape

Post by starscape »

Wow, fabulous! Where was that?
STARSCAPE Comic
http://facebook.com/Starscape-Comic-108831387707862/
comics, cartoons, music & movies

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

It was in Worthing

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy »

felneymike wrote:Today I got the Viz Summer Autumn Winter Spring Holiday Special, from 1988. I'd never heard of it before, and I don't know if some parts are reprints, or if it's all original. The Finbarr Saunders story must be, though, it's a whole 12 pages! (which by Viz standards is War and Peace!). The Sid the Sexist story in it was one of the ones made into an animation, where he starts to think everybody foreign is German.

Yesterday I got an American book reprinting 100 "Tijuana Bibles" (don't google it at work!), with commentary and essays. Incredible to think this stuff (very nearly wrote 'stiff' by accident :lol: ) was being produced at the same time as The Magnet... but I suppose people of every generation are the same underneath!

That Viz special's terrific, have you read the Pathetic Sharks Summer Special? It's Viz for kids!
Been thinking about getting that Tijuana Bibles book too...

Yesterday there was a toy fair about a five minute walk from my place, so I went along. £5 got me:

-Beano Summer Special 1971
-Shiver & Shake (15/12/73)
-Whoopee & Wow! (6/8/83)
-Sparky (No.619, 27/11/76)
-Smash! (13/9/69)

Never read any Smash! outside of the annuals, so was pleased to find that one...
http://twoheadedthingies.blogspot.co.uk/ - My comics blog, mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 1980s and 1990s

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Well today I received the 1968 Oor Wullie and the 1975 The Broons book. More than happy to have Oor Wullie's that I have not read before or in some cases for a long time.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

r3tr0_gam3r

Post by r3tr0_gam3r »

Today I received 6 Hoot Comics, issue numbers 1, 4, 5, 6, 7, and 16, from 'Tin Can Tommy' from here on ComicsUK. Thanks for the nice smooth transaction :)

Marionette

Post by Marionette »

Thirty five issues of Spellbound. That's made a big dent in my wants list. Also my bank account.
The Tammy Project: Documenting the classic British girls' comic, one serial at a time.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Bought this week's Beano, and the Beano and Dandy annuals, which are to be put away until Christmas (it's tradition!). The annuals were £3.99 from McColls. Can't see them being any cheaper than that until Boxing Day.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

We missed the Comic Mart at Glasgow, so I thought nothing would be bought. But saw an advert in the local free press and picked up 500 plus Commandos for a very reasonable price. They vary from issue 593 to 4622, so a wide ranging collection at a knockdown price.

I must admit that I was going to not buy them but herself persuaded me to buy them...

Turned out the seller's cousin had worked at DCT as one of the printers and he has a very nice selection of bits for sale. He will be letting me know when he has some items for sale. And I, in turn, will let you guys know.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Mr McScotty

Post by Mr McScotty »

I picked up a few comics over the weekend , was at the Panopticon comic mart in Glasgow on Saturday had the option of Beezer 1968 annual for £2 but didn't pick it up as was over my limit by time I saw it (trying to slim down my collection!) but got;
Savage Sword of Conan 4 (Neal Adams, Gil Kane art) and issue 31,
Vampire tales 2 (not a great copy but good price) with some great art in it including John Romita.
Seduction of the Innocent issues 2=6 with lots of Alex Toth art for 50p each (another stall had them for £3 each so got a good deal)
House of Secrets issues 101, 112
Witching Hour 30, 66

Plus some others inc Zatanna Special ( Gray Morrow art) Lobo Annual 2 (Aragones art - not his best 3 pages) Pacific comics Twisted Tales (1 and 6) kONG 3 (and a couple of others from the £1-50p bins)

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

i got 30 issues of Buster fortnightly inc after years & years of trying the very last issue :D :D :D .Was the whole issue reprint apart from last page or were the actual buster strips still new as well?