What comics did you buy today?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Lew Stringer

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Post by Lew Stringer »

bigd-ek wrote:I bought the Sparky 1973 annual off e-bay; admittedly it wasn't cheap (£6 + £3 P&P) but I wanted a mint copy and it looks almost as good as my original copy when I received it from Santa ;-) on Christmas morning, 1972.
£6 for a near-mint book that's over 40 years old? Sounds like a bargain to me! :up:

bigd-ek

Post by bigd-ek »

£6 for a near-mint book that's over 40 years old? Sounds like a bargain to me! :up:[/quote]

I agree with your sentiments Lew - I used the "buy it now" option on e-bay from worldofrarebooks - recommended

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Lew Stringer wrote:£6 for a near-mint book that's over 40 years old? Sounds like a bargain to me!
I totally agree. How much less were you expecting to pay? It should be possible to get more or less any comic annual for £5 or less. The Beano is likely to be an exception, but you can always look in charity shops or car boot sales. There is usually no need to spend even £5 on eBay if you are patient. It isn't as if any of these annuals are rare. I've just checked eBay for you, bigd-ek. Beano 71 Buy It Now £6.99 Fair/Good : Beano 72 99p start, 3 days to go : Beano 73 £5 no bids 6 days to go : Topper 72 £3.99 1 hour left : Beezer 73 £5.99 B.I.N. with free postage : Valiant 73 £2 start or £2.99 start, the B.I.Ns are unlikely to sell in my opinion : Victor 72 £2.50 no bids 5 hours to go : Victor 73 £2.50 no bids, 5 hours to go : Star Trek 73 several at £3.99. These would be my picks but there are plenty more on offer at the moment. Of course, the inevitable p&p charges have to be added when raiding your money box, but just think of the money you are saving in bus fares or petrol.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Phoenix wrote:It should be possible to get more or less any comic annual for £5 or less.
I won the Chips Annual 1941 on eBay the other day for just £2.99. Corners a little bashed but otherwise in very nice condition; complete spine, no foxing, pages hardly any different from their original off-white colour, no loose pages or rips. There were no other bidders! Just goes to show how interest in the pre-war and wartime comics has waned (or for many modern collectors, the interest was never there to begin with, sadly).
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Phoenix wrote:There is usually no need to spend even £5 on eBay if you are patient.
And talking of patience, I have tonight won on eBay Fighting Rebels Of The Desert by Edward R Home-Gall in the Boy's Favourite Library series. It is number 1 in a series of 20, published by Panmure Publications between 1948 and 1950. I already have the other nineteen, which I've picked up here and there at various times since 1985, but in all that time I have never even seen a copy of the number 1 until today. I got it for £1.99 plus £1 p&p, the only other bidder simply offering the starting price. Curiously, the title also appears as number 2 in the second series of 7, then just called Boys' Favourite, as does The Railway Rovers at number 1. The only one in this second series that I'm still searching for is number 4, The Ice Rink Terror. Hope springs eternal, but as I don't really want to wait that long, I've got an eBay search for it in place.

SID

Post by SID »

I got Red Dagger issues 1 (x2), 3, 4, 5 & 7.

I also got the first of the all-new Dennis the Menace and Gnasher's Epic! Magazine. As other people have said, very Xtreme-like. I must admit I preferred the Megazine but did like the D&G strips.

Just one question: Is Epic! technically a new comic? In the same way the Megazine was new when it took over from BeanoMAX?

Oh, another thing: my local Sainsburys is finally no longer calling it BeanoMAX on the check-out any more. It is now simply called "Dennis and Gnasher".
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

SID wrote:
Just one question: Is Epic! technically a new comic? In the same way the Megazine was new when it took over from BeanoMAX?
It's still continuing the BeanoMax numbering on the barcode, for retail purposes, but it is basically a new mag.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

SID

Post by SID »

Lew Stringer wrote:
SID wrote:
It's still continuing the BeanoMax numbering on the barcode, for retail purposes, but it is basically a new mag.
As I thought. So bought two copies: one for my standard comic collection and the other to be added to my number ones.
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Picked up this annual in Deptford Flea Market for a pound. 96 pages of strips and text stories with illustrations. Ron Embleton art on nearly every page! I've sent a scan to the loading bay.

Here are a couple of pages:

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Great stuff! Ron illustrated a number of highly-collectible books based on then-current TV series during the late 50s/early 60s. Other titles included Hawkeye, Sir Lancelot and three Robin Hood Annuals, while his brother Gerry produced a nice William Tell book.

- Phil Rushton

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy »

All that talk of Floyd Gottfredson's Mickey books the other day spurned me on to buying these two, which arrived this morning:

The one on the left is the same as the one I used to get out from the library all the time in the old days, so it'll be nice to read those stories again. Over 200 pages! The landscape one'll be all "new" to me.

http://twoheadedthingies.blogspot.co.uk/ - My comics blog, mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 1980s and 1990s

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

Roy of the rovers Complete years 1976,77 & 78 i was shocked The comics are like new & free gifts came with iss 2 & 3,very happy,i think i'm gonna start reading these as i never had rotr as a kid until billys boots transfered from eagle.

SID

Post by SID »

big bad bri wrote:I think i'm gonna start reading these as i never had rotr as a kid until billys boots transfered from eagle.
I take it Billy's Boots moved over in 1991 straight after Eagle's demise?

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

big bad bri wrote:i never had rotr as a kid until billys boots transfered from eagle.
Billy's Boots was in Tiger at least as early as 1977. He was also in the Tiger Holiday Special for 1978. I'm not sure whether there ever was a point when he crossed over to Roy Of The Rovers.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

I think Billy started out in Scorcher in 1970 before transferring to Tiger in 1974.

- Phil Rushton