What comics did you buy today?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Hawkeye

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Post by Hawkeye »

At last I've managed to get Wizard 1185 from 1948, completing the 17 part William Wilson story 'The Black Olympic Games'.
Also, a few weeks ago I got the 'Remarkable Scientific Novelty' free gift from Modern Boy comic no 315 (1934), which was the 'Direction Finder and Time Indicator'. Got the comic it came with today. Back together again after 87 years !!

SID

Post by SID »

big bad bri wrote:final issue of weekly roy of the rovers i needed :D so technically finished but i have 1 issue with the centre poster missing so gonna try get it in 30th century on thursday as i know they have at least 1 in stock according to web site.

edit : so i already had that issue that will teach me to update lists or be able to read my my own writing im annoyed oi wasted that money which could have went towards a comic i needed.
Know the feeling so I am currently listing all my comics under Microsoft Access.
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

SID wrote:
big bad bri wrote:final issue of weekly roy of the rovers i needed :D so technically finished but i have 1 issue with the centre poster missing so gonna try get it in 30th century on thursday as i know they have at least 1 in stock according to web site.

edit : so i already had that issue that will teach me to update lists or be able to read my my own writing im annoyed oi wasted that money which could have went towards a comic i needed.
Know the feeling so I am currently listing all my comics under Microsoft Access.
i wouldn't even know how to do that lol and i do need some sort of database.

SID

Post by SID »

big bad bri wrote:
SID wrote:

i wouldn't even know how to do that lol and i do need some sort of database.
You could put them on a spreadsheet(s) if that is something you could do.
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

blaing

Post by blaing »

'Tis Beano Thursday in Australia once again, and I bought today No. 3896

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Went to the local market and found a nice supply of Commandos. Picked up 9 that were gap fillers and 3 that were obvious upgrades to my current issues. I will be visiting that market again!
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Picked up a handful of 1950s copies of the Manchester Evening News from a local market stall, including some unreprinted episodes of Ken Reid's legendary Fudge strip. Interesting to see that they also carried the American 'Space Cadet' strip for a time.

Richard S.

Post by Richard S. »

lists not updated every day at 30th century - so, worth dropping them an e-mail if you're making a special trip to see them
my blog: http://boysadventurecomics.blogspot.co.uk/
facebook: Richard Sheaf
facebook group: Boys adventure comic blog
Twitter: @richardandsheaf
Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/BoysAdventureComics/

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

Latest Viz and ordered the final 3 volumes of charley's war had to at only £4.99 each so gonna read vols 1 -10 after Marney the Fox.does anyone know how many episodes of charley's war was left after vol 10 and why titan didn't reprint the rest and did the new eagle reprint them or did they stop where vol 10 ends too.i was never into war stories but did enjoy charley's war when Eagle merged with Battle.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

big bad bri wrote:Latest Viz and ordered the final 3 volumes of charley's war had to at only £4.99 each so gonna read vols 1 -10 after Marney the Fox.does anyone know how many episodes of charley's war was left after vol 10 and why titan didn't reprint the rest and did the new eagle reprint them or did they stop where vol 10 ends too.i was never into war stories but did enjoy charley's war when Eagle merged with Battle.
I wasn't aware they hadn't completed Charley. (I only bought the first couple of books as I had the rest I'd cut out from Battle.) I believe Titan still have the license to reprint Battle strips at present so they could complete it. Perhaps the previous books didn't sell well enough?
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

Lew Stringer wrote:
big bad bri wrote:Latest Viz and ordered the final 3 volumes of charley's war had to at only £4.99 each so gonna read vols 1 -10 after Marney the Fox.does anyone know how many episodes of charley's war was left after vol 10 and why titan didn't reprint the rest and did the new eagle reprint them or did they stop where vol 10 ends too.i was never into war stories but did enjoy charley's war when Eagle merged with Battle.
I wasn't aware they hadn't completed Charley. (I only bought the first couple of books as I had the rest I'd cut out from Battle.) ?

nooooooooooo :lol: cutting out comics is sacrilege i have to buy comic again if a coupon is missing.id read somewhere they stopped reprinting charley's war after pat mills the writer or artist left but they continued it in battle with someone else taking over but could be wrong. the books are all £4.99 at the moment on forbidden planets website.even the omnibus reprinting vols 1-3.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

big bad bri wrote:
Lew Stringer wrote:
I wasn't aware they hadn't completed Charley. (I only bought the first couple of books as I had the rest I'd cut out from Battle.) ?

nooooooooooo :lol: cutting out comics is sacrilege i have to buy comic again if a coupon is missing.
It's ok. No one would get the chance to buy my mutilated copies. I used the remnants to light the fire. :lol:
big bad bri wrote:id read somewhere they stopped reprinting charley's war after pat mills the writer or artist left but they continued it in battle with someone else taking over but could be wrong. the books are all £4.99 at the moment on forbidden planets website.even the omnibus reprinting vols 1-3.
Pat Mills concluded Charley's adventures in WW1, then Scott Goodall took over to write the sequel, set in WW2. Pat would have written it, but IPC wouldn't give him the budget he needed to research it properly so he quit.

Sadly, due to Joe Colquhoun's increasing frail health, the WW2 series never concluded properly and went into flashback (shown as reprints of the first series). Unfortunately, Joe died so the story never returned to the new stories. It wouldn't have been the same with a different artist, so kudos to the editor for respecting that and not replacing Joe.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

big bad bri wrote:Latest Viz.
I'm in that as a supporting character in The Broon Windsors. :lol:
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Went to Deptford market this morning. There was an empty police van outside Manzes pie and mash shop and, inside, were four uniformed cops enjoying our local delicacy. In the market I picked up a Temple Houston Annual from 1965 and a Laramie Annual from 1963 with strips and text stories - all illustrated by John Burns. The text stories have an illustration on every page, superb. Its is in very good condition except the edge of the cover is rubbed. I also got a Charles Buchan's Soccer Gift Book 1967/68. All three were a pound each. My best buy was a Styx Weekend Fun Book no. 7. 84 pages of gag cartoons by Styx reprinted from Weekend magazine. That was a pound and I got a VHS tape of four 1962 Coronation Street episodes for 50p. I have a vhs player so no problem. I almost forgot I also got a very nice copy of She women's magazine from June 1967 for a pound.

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

Scream/ Misty special arrived.its a great comic and i for one would love it to be weekly as it looks like exciting things ahead according to some of the stories.