What comics did you buy today?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

blaing

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Post by blaing »

Just pre-ordered, the recently announced "the Best of Tom Paterson " book.

Shiner

Post by Shiner »

I’m stacking up on hardbacks for my new comic library. Just picked up a book on Frank Bellamy’s Doctor Who work in Radio Times. Also the newly published Steel Claw collection.

SID

Post by SID »

Bought a near complete year of Hotspurs (1980) which helps fill in my mini collection.

I also got the latest issues of:

Brawler
The77
SHIFT
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

Tales of Dread a Comic Album by G. T. Limited from 1959.
Does anyone know anything about G.T. please as I can't seem to find much info on them on the web. GCD says they only issued 15 different titles and all Comic Albums. Looking at the titles, I have most of them so I'm interested in the history of the publisher.

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

Shiner wrote:
20 Feb 2021, 20:40
I’m stacking up on hardbacks for my new comic library. Just picked up a book on Frank Bellamy’s Doctor Who work in Radio Times. Also the newly published Steel Claw collection.
I must get that Steel Claw collection. Did you get the hardback in that? I'm not 100% on the covers for either of them to be honest.

Shiner

Post by Shiner »

I always go for the website exclusive hardback covers but they are a bit of a mixed bunch compared to the mainstream ones.

Into The Abyss

Post by Into The Abyss »

Today bought myself a nice Dandy comic No.372 from March 1948. 8)
Well, hello there! :wave:

Shiner

Post by Shiner »

Young Romance 1 -13 : the whole set of this difficult to find Marvel UK digest series from 1981.

Into The Abyss

Post by Into The Abyss »

Bought myself a Dandy comic No' 347 from the 5th July 1947. 🙂

Last edited by Into The Abyss on 20 Mar 2021, 15:20, edited 2 times in total.

Shiner

Post by Shiner »

Bonanza No.1 by World Adventure Library

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

Shiner wrote:
16 Mar 2021, 11:51
Bonanza No.1 by World Adventure Library
I saw that. Good buy. I’ve only seen it on sale once before in the last 10 years or so!

Into The Abyss

Post by Into The Abyss »

Bought myself another nice Dandy comic issue No' 352 from the 13th September 1947. 8)

blaing

Post by blaing »

I have had a busy couple of weeks.

I had picked up a near mint copy of the 1982 Shiver and Shake annual, a few issues of Big Comic Fortnightly, plus the 1992 holiday special, and the first issue of the Funny Fortnightly.

I should get the final special from the 2020 specials bundle in the next week or so (the Evil Genius 2 special)

I also recently upgraded the Beano: 80 years of fun bookazine to the deluxe edition

old paw broon

Post by old paw broon »

Adam Eterno wrote, "Tales of Dread a Comic Album by G. T. Limited from 1959. "
I haven't heard of that one and you're right, there is very little info on G T Ltd. George Turton was the publisher but as far as I know, GT published albums of American reprints in b&w. CB+and DCM have Super Thrill album from 1959. The album is very similar in appearance to the TV Boardman/Popular Press annuals - the ones with all the tasty McLoughlin art. To the extent that Super Thrill uses the back cover of Adventure for it's back and front covers.

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

old paw broon wrote:
13 Apr 2021, 16:05
Adam Eterno wrote, "Tales of Dread a Comic Album by G. T. Limited from 1959. "
I haven't heard of that one and you're right, there is very little info on G T Ltd. George Turton was the publisher but as far as I know, GT published albums of American reprints in b&w. CB+and DCM have Super Thrill album from 1959. The album is very similar in appearance to the TV Boardman/Popular Press annuals - the ones with all the tasty McLoughlin art. To the extent that Super Thrill uses the back cover of Adventure for it's back and front covers.
Thanks Paw

I think I’ll try and get the albums I don’t have when I get time to research them. I do like to complete sets and runs!