What comics did you buy today?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

stevezodiac

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Post by stevezodiac »

I picked up the issues 1 to 4 of Speedball by Steve Ditko that I passed up last week. Also got issue 1 of Purple Hood a British Alan Class type comic. All at a pound each.

Nagorama

Post by Nagorama »

I found Denis Gifford's 'Happy Days - One Hundred Years of Comics' at a jumble sale last Saturday :)

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

Just received the 1974 Dan Dare annual, which I found on ebay. Great book, it reprints The Red Moon Mystery and Safari in Space!

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

stevezodiac wrote:I picked up the issues 1 to 4 of Speedball by Steve Ditko that I passed up last week. Also got issue 1 of Purple Hood a British Alan Class type comic. All at a pound each.
Purple Hood is crudely drawn but good, daft fun. They only did two issues. If you like that, look out for Mark Tyme as well, by the same creators. Again, a two issue wonder.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Just bought 5 Commandos from Ebay. One pre-decimal and the others just post-decimalisation so another few off the list.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

After missing out on quite a few lots so far this week, I finally won one and am looking forward to receiving the first 10 issues of Warlord

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Lew Stringer wrote:
stevezodiac wrote:I picked up the issues 1 to 4 of Speedball by Steve Ditko that I passed up last week. Also got issue 1 of Purple Hood a British Alan Class type comic. All at a pound each.
Purple Hood is crudely drawn but good, daft fun. They only did two issues. If you like that, look out for Mark Tyme as well, by the same creators. Again, a two issue wonder.
I have one issue of Mark Tyme. Probably number 1.

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

i managed to get the last 47 issues of Buddy as i didn't realize i had the first 46 in a box already so now i just need the middle issues :lol:
Does anyone one know who the artist on jonah was and were they reprints from anywhere?

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

Hiya Bri

The BUDDY issues I have were all reprints of original back-page [in colour first time around] BEANO strips by Ken Reid [late 50s-early 60s?] but I have yet to see every single issue.

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

ISPYSHHHGUY wrote:Hiya Bri

The BUDDY issues I have were all reprints of original back-page [in colour first time around] BEANO strips by Ken Reid [late 50s-early 60s?] but I have yet to see every single issue.
some of them don't look like Ken Reid but i may be wrong as im rubbish at identifying artists

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

The best 'clone' of Mr Reid at that time was Frank Mc Diarmid so if another artist is in use over this period the chances are it's likely Frank.

If it was him, his efforts weren't bad at all.

abacus

Post by abacus »

Was going to visit local carboot when son and his girlfriend rang to see if I also wanted to go to another carboot as well so visited two.
got-----

The Classic comic colouring book £1
The Hillbillies annual 1965( needed this to replace one I already had with page missing) £2
Bugs Bunny annual 1964 £1

Also got two books which could be indirectly cartoon character related----

The Disney Studio story 50p
DK CINEMA YEAR BY YEAR 1894-2004 50p ( this was my favourite buy 1016 page book with hundreds of photos and great coloured photos of movie posters) which of course includes animated movie posters.

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

A successful end to the weekend picking up Disney's Now I Know #1, 2 and 3 with free gifts along with Victor #625 (with stickers) and Warlord #1 and #2 with folder and the two sheets of medals. Total of just over £60 including postage but I'm happy with that, especially the medals from Warlord #2 as I've been after them for a while! Even better was that I sold 2 x Ultimate Spiderman #1s for £70 that I bought last year for £21 so positively, that lot cost me £21!

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

I have been buying collections of 1969 & 1970 `Sparky` comics on E.Bay. Yes! I already have all of Sparky 1965-77 - but! These are the finest 1969-70 editions I have ever seen and well worth cost for upgrade! Just a pity No 229 not among them - reason is I could have sent my old 229 to Rab Smith who has a damaged edition of 229. Sorry Rab!
A Face unclouded by thought.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

ISPYSHHHGUY wrote:Hiya Bri

1958 to 1963.