What comics did you buy today?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Post by steelclaw »

philcom55 wrote:It started in the first issue of Ranger (18/9/65) then transferred to Look & Learn with the first combined issue in June of the following year (no.232). Oddly enough the story began on present-day Earth following the sensational discovery of a crashed spacecraft, by which time the Empire had long since 'fallen'. Presumably experts are still deciphering the historical records it contained as, to date, we've yet to learn how it met its end. To my mind that first episode still stands as one of the most memorable sequences ever to appear in a British comic strip.

- Phil R.
Oh good I'm pleased about that, because I had an opportunity to buy the first 60+ copies of Look & Learn and now I know it wasn't in it I don't feel to bad about not buying them for £10.

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

I picked up a Victor 1981 Summer Special for 50p, and 3 other Victors 50p each.I could have bought another 20-30 Victors from 1979-1983 but didn't have the money.

I didn't know Slave of the ring appeared in Victor in 1979 as it was orginally in the first Issue's of Wizard's from 1970.

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

The Judge Dredd megazine has moved it's reprint out of the mag and into a bundled book (replacing 2000AD Extreme Edition), which means the meg itself now contains all-new stuff with no reduction in pages. However it's gone back up to £4.99... Though somehow i bought that and 2000AD in Smith's and was only charged about £3.40 or something, wasn't complaining...

However the terrible film reviews and gushing about crap TV as if it's the greatest thing in the universe is still in there. If you ask me i'd much rather be spending my 4.99 on the Meg of 2004-2006 which was 100 pages of comic, interesting articles (like British Icons... there's so many more things they could have covered... and it's what introduced me to Sexton Blake and started me off on this comic/storypaper collecting path), Charley's war and no terrible "matey" film reviews.
The 2004-2006 Meg wasn't perfect though, Life On Mars, the best British sci-fi show in a long time (well if you ignore Doctor Who obviously, but that's like a monolithic titan all of it's own seperate from 'lesser' TV) comes along, so what does the Meg gush about? Lost. :headbash:
Matter o fact, the Doctor Who revival itself got only a cursory mention, tacked on the end of a "hey weren't special effects in 70's TV horrible?" "hilarious" article.

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

Picked up these 2 books sunday at the carboot sale.

This one cost £1 cheaper then when it came out in 1967 which was 25/-

A hard back from 1987.

ROY ROGERS

Post by ROY ROGERS »

picked a new copy of the school days beano and dandy hardback £3. :)
THE NOLAN SISTERS ARE MINE

Sidnny

Post by Sidnny »

Oh that's easy. The Dandy Extreme.
Reading comics since 1969. My comics are: The Dandy Xtreme (since 1969), 2000AD (since 1977), Judge Dredd Megazine (since 1990) and Spaceship Away (since 2003).

Steve Henderson

Post by Steve Henderson »

I picked up a copy of the 'Billy the Fish football yearbook' from 1990 in Barnsley market eeh bah gum! I would have got it at the time but I was 6!

Spencer

Post by Spencer »

Trying to buy the new Classics Illustrated but not in WHSMiths at Liverpool Street ... anyone seen it anywhere in London / Essex ?

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Just got today my second copy of Victor Summer Special 1971 (which will be sold!) and issues 2 to 4 of Spellbound. The Supercats centre-spreads are fantastic art.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Spencer wrote:Trying to buy the new Classics Illustrated but not in WHSMiths at Liverpool Street ... anyone seen it anywhere in London / Essex ?
Can't help you re that area but WH Smith in Birmingham have plenty. I wouldn't worry about missing it though. It appears to have been recoloured and it's on horrible glossy paper that does the simplistic art no favours. I didn't buy it.

And the ones in Brum were all damaged, as though some careless warehouseman had run a fork lift truck into the spines.

Classical Comics at http://www.classicalcomics.com/ look much better value for money, in my opinion.

Lew

Spencer

Post by Spencer »

Having bought the first issue of Classics Illustrated I can only TOTALLY agree with Lew's view on the colouring. I think it has totally spoilt the linework of the art and the new lettering also makes it feel more 'amateur'.

Here's a picture of the original and a picture of the new version (courtesy of Down The Tubes website) ...

What does everyone else prefer ?

Original version:- http://www.downthetubes.net/images/comi ... inalfp.jpg

Restored version:- http://www.downthetubes.net/images/comi ... oredfp.jpg

LauraH

Post by LauraH »

Oh dear oh dear. We may be in the middle of a global economic crisis, but someone should tell them the world's sans-serif font market is still thriving...

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

The colours are so garish....didn't buy it either..and that text :P

I'm really into The Beezer 1961.....love the centre pages Heroes of paradise road

from my new Beezer I got.....what a great exciting page layout.the fairground is out of control!!!!

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

LauraH wrote:Oh dear oh dear. We may be in the middle of a global economic crisis, but someone should tell them the world's sans-serif font market is still thriving...
Ah, but they've done "tests" Laura, so it must be right. :roll:

"We have also taken the liberty of adding a different font style (Garamond Bold) for the lettering on the Junior series, so as to provide easier reading to our young readers. The original series were printed in upper case. Tests have shown that the early readers can process text easier and faster in both upper and lower case styles." - Jeff Brooks, publisher

Read the full interview with him here:
http://www.downthetubes.net/features/i ... 81008.html

Lew

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

"Big promotion"?

"Front-of-store"?

Aside from here and there i havent heard a thing about these! I'd be interested in buying the War Of The Worlds one (missed the boat by now?) just to compare it with D'israeli's version published to fit in with Scarlet Traces. Maybe some other ones too if they look interesting, but i doubt i'll begin collecting the whole series.

(But then i said that when i started getting 2000AD again in 2004)
((and Commando in 2006))