What comics did you buy today?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

DavidKW

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Post by DavidKW »

Thanks for info on Wham!, Lew. Still they were good & amusing in 1967 anyway.

I went to Leeds Comic Fair as I'd been informed there were a lot of stalls selling British ones there. When I went there were hardly any and fair was smaller than Sheffield's. Must've all been on holiday. (and I'd delayed buying some DVDs at HMV until after fair in case I spent a lot. When I returned DVDs on my radar had gone. C'est la vie! Fortunately there were plenty more I wanted in there).

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

I have to save money, so practiced quite amazing charity shop restraint and only bought The Phoenix!
Oxfam did have a comic-filled annual of western stories from the 50's, though. I may have to see it it's still there next time!

blaing

Post by blaing »

I bought another comic that's currently not on the comicsUK gallery, the Bash Street Kids 2001 Summer Special.

As soon as it arrives in the mail, I'll send a scan to Al to add to the gallery.

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

Today I got the four latest Commandos, and also the comic-filled western annual I mentioned before. It's published "by arrangement with" some company in the USA, and is slightly smaller than normal annuals, so is probably reprinted American comics. They're coloured with the "four colour technique" too... though far better than the Z Cars annuals!
I also got a "Kung Fu Official Annual" from 1975. It's got a few short text stories at either end, but most of the middle is filled with well-drawn, full colour comic strips. They're all about a Chinese guy called Kain living in the wild west. Possibly based on a TV show?

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

David Carradine of Kill Bill fame was the star of Kung Fu. There was a strip in Look-In which I think was drawn by Martin Asbury? The series is available on dvd. Never missed it when it was on tv.

Raven

Post by Raven »

stevezodiac wrote:There was a strip in Look-In which I think was drawn by Martin Asbury?
Yes, a really striking, high quality strip at its peak, in full colour.

http://martinasbury.com/sc_kung6.html

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

...Ah yes, grasshopper, I remember it well. :) There were even six memorable episodes drawn by the great Mike Noble.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

I have just won issue 37 of Bunty, and the rare, metal Bunty club badge in phil-comics auctions. I've seen a handful of the badges before in various Antiques Fairs, but they've all been manky. This one looks mint. I did bid for the flyer but I knew I was on a loser in advance because mon-ell had already bid. I've only ever won two ebay items when he has bid.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Picked up Adventure and Wizard dated 4 April 1964 from The Junk Shop in Greenwich along with 34 wartime copies of Punch all for a pound each - minus discount. Just before that I sold a bag full of LPs to the Music & Video exchange and got £25 in cash. As I walked out of the shop holding the money I suddenly felt like Peter Parker selling his lab equipment in a story from the 60s. Am I correct? I think he sold his microscope to get money for medicine for Aunt May?

Kid Robson

Post by Kid Robson »

stevezodiac wrote:Picked up Adventure and Wizard dated 4 April 1964 from The Junk Shop in Greenwich along with 34 wartime copies of Punch all for a pound each - minus discount. Just before that I sold a bag full of LPs to the Music & Video exchange and got £25 in cash. As I walked out of the shop holding the money I suddenly felt like Peter Parker selling his lab equipment in a story from the 60s. Am I correct? I think he sold his microscope to get money for medicine for Aunt May?
I believe you are correct, Steve, although he later got it back again. In a story from the early '90s, I seem to remember him giving his microscope to a pupil (in the class he taught) because the pupil reminded him of his younger self.

starscape

Post by starscape »

Rings a bell somewhere. I more remember (was it #100?) Peter leaving his microscope by Uncle Ben's tombstone, only for an older man (maybe he worked at the graveyard?) to see it and take it for his own son. Kinda got the feeling Peter might have approved.
STARSCAPE Comic
http://facebook.com/Starscape-Comic-108831387707862/
comics, cartoons, music & movies

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I think issue 100 was the one where he grew four extra arms. "Not like this! NOT LIKE THIS!" (correct me if i'm wrong).

starscape

Post by starscape »

ah, it was #181 but I remember it from Super Spider-Man #300.
STARSCAPE Comic
http://facebook.com/Starscape-Comic-108831387707862/
comics, cartoons, music & movies

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Well, on Saturday, I picked up two of Garth Ennis' War Story. Just like Commando, but a bit more sweary. I also picked up issue 1 of Rising Stars because Gary Frank's art is reminiscent of Steve Dillon's style. Yet to read, but I am sure I will update you when I do.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

I got 50 issues of sparky from 1976 to kick start my sparky collection.