What comics did you buy today?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Shiner

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Post by Shiner »

Some Dracula Lives from 1975 including Werewolf by Night meeting Moon Knight.

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

Shiner wrote:
15 Apr 2021, 17:17
Some Dracula Lives from 1975 including Werewolf by Night meeting Moon Knight.
It didn’t really appeal to me at the time but I bought the set a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it.

Shiner

Post by Shiner »

The final ever Whizzer and Chips (sob!). The passing of a comic giant - and the last appearance of Shiner (double sob !) At least he managed to get through it unscathed.

Into The Abyss

Post by Into The Abyss »

Bought myself two comics. A Beano #290 from 1946 and a Dandy #368 from 1948. Both are in not bad shape. :)

Image Image
Last edited by Into The Abyss on 24 Apr 2021, 21:26, edited 2 times in total.
Well, hello there! :wave:

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Not comics but three copies of Sporting News newspaper from 1863/4 in Deptford flea market for £1 apiece. They haven't been cut so fold out into one eight page sheet which can double as a bedsheet.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Yesterday at Kempton Park antiques fair I picked up 230 copies of the Hotspur dated from 1933-1945 for £200.00. And a 1945 Picture Stories from the Bible 25¢ Life of Christ edition for £10.00. I also got a 1984 Bugs Bunny Holiday Special for £1 just to index onto Grand Comics Database which I did this morning. I also saw two 1937 Mickey Mouse Weeklies which I was willing to pay a fiver each for but the dealer wanted £25 each or, generously, £40 the pair. I declined.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Those issues of The Hotspur are a real bargain, Steve. Well done! They are as rare as hens' teeth.

Into The Abyss

Post by Into The Abyss »

stevezodiac wrote:
28 Apr 2021, 16:56
Yesterday at Kempton Park antiques fair I picked up 230 copies of the Hotspur dated from 1933-1945 for £200.00. And a 1945 Picture Stories from the Bible 25¢ Life of Christ edition for £10.00. I also got a 1984 Bugs Bunny Holiday Special for £1 just to index onto Grand Comics Database which I did this morning. I also saw two 1937 Mickey Mouse Weeklies which I was willing to pay a fiver each for but the dealer wanted £25 each or, generously, £40 the pair. I declined.
Hey, well done stevezodiac. Yeah, its a drag when you offer someone a price and they won't budge an inch. Bet he never paid £25 for those Mickey Mouse Weeklies. :headbash:

I a few years ago picked up over a 100 issues of the Hammer Halls of Horror Magazine at a boot sale for 30p each. The seller said they were ex-shop stock and were found in a Birmingham warehouse. I sold some rare issues too. One that comes to mind was an issue called, Death in Space, Moon Zero Two. It had a short run compared to other issues and featured an Astronaut on with his eye sticking out as the front cover art. Sold that issue and another for £40 each, and the rest for £10 each on ebay about 10yrs ago. Must have made £500 or more. Still got loads of issue No1s mint on board up in the attic. :)

Richard S.

Post by Richard S. »

I've got about half of those 'Hammer Halls of Horror' magazines - I really should work harder to complete the set. If you want a 'wants list' I could let you have one? Thanks!
my blog: http://boysadventurecomics.blogspot.co.uk/
facebook: Richard Sheaf
facebook group: Boys adventure comic blog
Twitter: @richardandsheaf
Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/BoysAdventureComics/

Shiner

Post by Shiner »

It’s a great title and the Hammer strips are now collected by Dez

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Phoenix wrote:
28 Apr 2021, 19:17
Those issues of The Hotspur are a real bargain, Steve. Well done! They are as rare as hens' teeth.
The seller said he had twice that many earlier but had sold quite a few. I hope they weren't copies with Beano and Dandy #1 fliers inside. Mind you it was hard enough on the knees carrying the ones I got. Together with a jar of Barton's piccalilli (best piccalilli ever - from Iceland shops)

Into The Abyss

Post by Into The Abyss »

Richard S. wrote:
29 Apr 2021, 06:46
I've got about half of those 'Hammer Halls of Horror' magazines - I really should work harder to complete the set. If you want a 'wants list' I could let you have one? Thanks!
Hey, cheers for that Richard S. Too kind. Funnily enough, when I bought those mags all those years ago, forgot how superb they were. I suppose this was the reason why I kept back some issues for myself, perhaps subconsciously intending one day to complete the set. I've got mags 1 to 12 , it's the latter issues yet to source. If I decide to complete the set will let you know. 🙂👍

One of my favourite issues was the holiday special #24 from 1982. What I can recall was it featured a montage of classic Hammer monsters on the front cover. There was Christopher Lee as Dracula , the Mummy and some other character? Also, were images of the Snake woman from the film, The Reptile , plus a Werewolf too. Not sure if it was Oliver Reed in Curse of the Werewolf though?

Anyway. As a kid that particular issue freaked me out ,especially the story that included an old man with his brain sticking out of his skull after being bludgeoned with s hammer. Yeah, the stories were certainly not for the fainthearted, lol. 😳

To my shame, I later foolishly chucked it on my coal fire after having row with my mother for not doing my homework and
have regretted it ever since. 🙄

Shiner

Post by Shiner »

I’m a Marvel UK diehard fan but even I’d never heard of their 1982 comic Not the World Cup which includes an early Alan Moore story. Now purchased and on its way.

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

Shiner wrote:
30 Apr 2021, 12:54
I’m a Marvel UK diehard fan but even I’d never heard of their 1982 comic Not the World Cup which includes an early Alan Moore story. Now purchased and on its way.
Erm.... never heard of it! Pictures please when it arrives.

Captain underpants

Post by Captain underpants »

Just looked this comic up on down the tubes it looks like a Mickey take on World Cup football