What comics did you buy today?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

blaing

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Post by blaing »

Just crossed off another of my want list, winning the Dandy No. 1000 from eBay.

There were two auctions of No. 1000 today, but I won the first one.

Into The Abyss

Post by Into The Abyss »

blaing wrote:
19 Sep 2021, 19:55

Think I seen that one. Hey, well done blaing! 👋😎
Well, hello there! :wave:

George Shiers

Post by George Shiers »

blaing wrote:
19 Sep 2021, 19:55

Interesting that The Beano seemed to celebrate these big numbers much more than The Dandy - Beano #1000 is a beauty to this day but I had to google Dandy #1000 and it doesn't look like much! I wonder why. Still a cool one to get though - is there anything that celebrates the milestone inside?
Visit my blog all about British comics old and new! http://www.whackycomics.blogspot.com

Into The Abyss

Post by Into The Abyss »

Bought myself a Beano comic No. 285 from the 1st June 1946. 😎

Into The Abyss

Post by Into The Abyss »

Today bought myself a Christmas Dandy comic No.108 from the 23rd of December 1939. Pics to follow a.s.a.p. 🙂

Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

Into The Abyss wrote:
26 Sep 2021, 22:34
Today bought myself a Christmas Dandy comic No.108 from the 23rd of December 1939. Pics to follow a.s.a.p. 🙂

What's the earliest Dandy/Beano comic you have?

Into The Abyss

Post by Into The Abyss »

Hawkeye wrote:
28 Sep 2021, 10:55
Into The Abyss wrote:
26 Sep 2021, 22:34

What's the earliest Dandy/Beano comic you have?
Hi Hawkeye. At the moment the earliest Dandy No.108 from 1939. And I also have two Beano issues No.67 from March 11th 1939 and the Beano issue No.43 from the 20th May 1939. Both in good nick too. :)

Last edited by Into The Abyss on 24 Feb 2022, 20:53, edited 1 time in total.

Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

They both look very nice indeed, well done.

Into The Abyss

Post by Into The Abyss »

Hawkeye wrote:
28 Sep 2021, 20:36
They both look very nice indeed, well done.
Thanks Hawkeye. I think any comic that can survive the ravages of WW2 & paper rationing gets my respect.

Used to collect comics as a kid years ago. Coincedentally got most of them still in my grandfather's WW1 army trunk with my brother's. Bit worse for wear being well-read but keepsakes of childhood memories gone by.

I've been trying to buy as many 1940s & 1930s Beano & Dandy comics as humanly possible. The earlier the better. Got over 100+ at the moment, but the only downside with buying early ones, is the cost gets bigger. I know early Xmas comics are sought after, that's why I'm so fortunate to buy the one recently from 1939. Can't wait to receive it. Will upload a.s.a.p as said. 🙂

Into The Abyss

Post by Into The Abyss »

Well here it is. Just had delivery of my Christmas Dandy comic No.108 from the 23rd December 1939. Happy is an understatement. :)

Captain underpants

Post by Captain underpants »

My favourite Dandy and Beano comics where the fireworks issues so un PC now what the strips showed then would have People now campaigning to have the comics banned.
It was a much simpler life then dangerous but simple :lol: :lol:

Into The Abyss

Post by Into The Abyss »

Captain underpants wrote:
29 Sep 2021, 15:10
My favourite Dandy and Beano comics where the fireworks issues so un PC now what the strips showed then would have People now campaigning to have the comics banned.
It was a much simpler life then dangerous but simple :lol: :lol:
Yeah, know what you mean. Sometimes it's PC for the sake of being PC. Harmless fun. And I think uploaded here recently a nice Fireworks Dandy comic from 1946. It's somewhere down the thread? Superb cover too.

Also, just realised that Korky has become a cannibal after eating the Tiger who ate the Turkey, lol. Don't say I'm not observant. 😁

Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

I must admit, for quite a few years all I bought were Beano and Dandy annuals and comics, but it got to the stage where all the ones I wanted cost far too much. Luckily I discovered the delights of 'The Big Five', which were much more reasonably priced.

Into The Abyss

Post by Into The Abyss »

Hawkeye wrote:
30 Sep 2021, 16:35
I must admit, for quite a few years all I bought were Beano and Dandy annuals and comics, but it got to the stage where all the ones I wanted cost far too much. Luckily I discovered the delights of 'The Big Five', which were much more reasonably priced.
Been there myself. Me and by brother bought hundreds of annuals & comics in our time. Bought so many in the early nineties that at one point they continued up the stairs and filled two bedrooms. We feared an avalanche, lol. Got bit out of hand to be honest.

So one day both made the hard decision to sell them all. And invest the money elsewhere. It was fun collecting them at the time though. The thrill of the search so to speak. And from there, went from collective annuals & comics to obtaining the comic art itself. And the upside was I could collect loads of pages of art and all would fit conveniently in one artist folder. Happy days.

I suppose this sparked by interest to collect comics again. And instead of buying comics from my childhood, this time decided to source the earlier the better. And as mentioned, that opens up another can of worms regarding cost. Earlier means bigger bucks, although saying that have had some bargains. Most I've ever paid for Beano comic was £150. 🙂💸

Into The Abyss

Post by Into The Abyss »

Today bought myself a Beano comic No.304 from the 22nd February 1947. Pic to follow a.s.a.p. 🙂

Update 06/10/2021: Here it is. 8)

Last edited by Into The Abyss on 07 Oct 2021, 12:48, edited 3 times in total.