What comics did you buy today?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

TwoHeadedBoy

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Post by TwoHeadedBoy »

colcool007 wrote:The looks I got for swapping a carrier bag for money at the side of the road were a sight to behold!
:lol: :lol:

Had a similar thing a few years ago, for a near-complete run of Zap Comix. Sat outside the Adelphi Hotel for half an hour waiting for the guy, he gets off a bus, hands me the comics in a bag, I give him the cash and off he goes :D
http://twoheadedthingies.blogspot.co.uk/ - My comics blog, mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 1980s and 1990s

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

Just got a nice selection of 1965-67 Sparky's (E.Bay)which I went for as they were such great condition. Thanks to Laing (Bruce!) for very magnanimously `standing` aside on some bidding so as we wouldn't `cut` each other up!

For this great gesture- I have posted my old copies of Nos 12 & 68 to Bruce -copies he hadn't got in his collection yet. not that much grading difference between them and new one's I `upgraded` with- so i'm sure Bruce will find them fine! (Hope!)

The best of that E.Bay batch was issue No 2 it was almost `mint` and No 3 not far behind! Real nice set of comics!
A Face unclouded by thought.

blaing

Post by blaing »

I will :D

On top of the comics I'm due to receive from Alan, I have picked up in the last week or two, two Frankie Stein Holiday Specials, a Beezer Summer Special (1988), the first Big Comic Holiday Special, as well as the first and last issues of Nipper.
Last edited by blaing on 22 Aug 2015, 14:13, edited 1 time in total.

Bethanys grandad

Post by Bethanys grandad »

:lol: I picked up the first issue of the new DC partworks ,1st issue Hush , looks a good read for £2.99 will only get the other issues if I see them cheap at a bootie or market stall, always been a sucker for a good superman or batman yarn also picked up two new and sealed Marvel essentials black and white reprints of the Hulk vol2 and Spider-Man vol5 for £4 the pair at the bootsale, still got to finish hulk vol 1 yet and I have not even started on the Spider-Man vol 1. Picked up a hand full of commando comics or as my granddaughter calls them little boy books :lol:

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

I spent more than I intended to at Braehead Film and Comic Convention, but with the company I kept, I think that overspend can be ignored for a week or two. It was great to eventually meet Mike Conroy and annoy all the artists again! :-)

But my purchases were the Garth Ennis and Gary Erskine's Dan Dare, Gilgamesh by Jim Starlin, The Art of The Trigan Empire, MORAV by Fonco, APP-1 and Savant from Planet Jimbot, Saltire: Invasion The Deluxe Edition, 3 issues of Doom Patrol, Minutemen issue 5, Squadron Supreme, War Heroes, Drawing of The Three issue 3, Star Trek: Khan issue 4 and Cheyenne Kid issue 82 from Jan 1971.

So I had a pretty good comic shopping day. I wished that there had been more Brit stuff there, but the little there was of it was just a little too pricey for my pocket.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

alanultron5 wrote:Just got a nice selection of 1965-67 Sparky's (E.Bay)which I went for as they were such great condition. Thanks to Laing (Bruce!) for very magnanimously `standing` aside on some bidding so as we wouldn't `cut` each other up!

For this great gesture- I have posted my old copies of Nos 12 & 68 to Bruce -copies he hadn't got in his collection yet. not that much grading difference between them and new one's I `upgraded` with- so i'm sure Bruce will find them fine! (Hope!)

The best of that E.Bay batch was issue No 2 it was almost `mint` and No 3 not far behind! Real nice set of comics!

Aaaaah, you were the one who won them. I wish I'd known and then I would have stepped away too. Sorry, I won the #1 and was the one who went for the your batch too with the second bid. Glad you're happy though, they looked in great condition!

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

No comics at the boot sale this morning but I did pick up a copy of Lewis Carroll's Phantasmagoria, beautifully illustrated by the early comic artist Arthur B Frost. I'm ashamed to say I'd never even heard of this before today!
Attachments
p13b.jpg

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

Unlike Colin I underspent at the Braehead con. Not only that but I only found a few American comics to tickle my fancy and they were mostly Archie issues - few British ones, not a single pocket library to be seen. Colin got to the Cheyenne Kid issue first, so he gets to enjoy some Sanho Kim art. As he says, the company was good - and the chat. A good day out.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

I stayed nearer to home yesterday at the Birmingham Mart where I spent far too much on British artwork and early Marvel Westerns
Attachments
60451.jpg

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

That's OK `Adam` I only put a small bid on No1 as I was curious to see what it would go for and you can only find out by bidding on item. I do have two No1s in superb condition and only put small bid on that one to see what it would go for! You got a bargain there!!
A Face unclouded by thought.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Nice to see fellow fans of Western comics - I have quite a collection of Marvel and Charlton Western comics - those 100 page Charlton issues were superb and with lots of Al Williamson artwork in some. Outlaws of the West I remember contained some nice PAM artowrk too.

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

alanultron5 wrote:That's OK `Adam` I only put a small bid on No1 as I was curious to see what it would go for and you can only find out by bidding on item. I do have two No1s in superb condition and only put small bid on that one to see what it would go for! You got a bargain there!!
Cheers. The highest bid on your lot was £28 other than my bid. It looks as if the Sparky fans were not out in force that week. Lucky us!

PS
Use the advanced button, top right on Ebay and click on sold items and you can see what things have sold for over the past couple of months.

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

As both Phil and stevezodiac have mentioned westerns, I want to admit to a liking for them also. Some of the PAM work on some Charlton titles is really worth looking at.
My particular guilty pleasure is Dell westerns, in particular Gene Autry and the Kinstler drawn stories of Silvertip and Western Marshall. But there is art to be enjoyed by quality artists in many of the titles.
Perhaps this should be a sub section in world comics.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy »

philcom55 wrote:No comics at the boot sale this morning but I did pick up a copy of Lewis Carroll's Phantasmagoria, beautifully illustrated by the early comic artist Arthur B Frost. I'm ashamed to say I'd never even heard of this before today!
I like the look of that... Any more scans?

I had a day out in Manchester on Saturday, and went to the always-wonderful Empire Exchange. Walked out of there with:

-Cold-Blooded Chameleon Commandos No.3 (US Ninja Turtle cash-in, got a love for these sort of things)
-Rip Off Press Inc. Presents Underground Classics - Dealer McDope No.2
-Knockabout Comics: Philbert Desanex' 100,000th Dream
-Russell: The Saga of a Peaceful Man Part 2 by Pete Loveday
-The Best of the Beezer No.28
-Zit No.51

That lot should've been about £45, but a bit of haggling's always encouraged in that shop... Ended up taking the lot for £20 :D
http://twoheadedthingies.blogspot.co.uk/ - My comics blog, mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 1980s and 1990s

dishes

Post by dishes »

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:
philcom55 wrote:No comics at the boot sale this morning but I did pick up a copy of Lewis Carroll's Phantasmagoria, beautifully illustrated by the early comic artist Arthur B Frost. I'm ashamed to say I'd never even heard of this before today!
I like the look of that... Any more scans?
Just do a google image search for "Arthur Frost phantasmagoria".

I really like the illustrations but Carroll was unsatisfied with them and alienated Frost with his complaints and suggestions. A recurring situation with most of his illustrators.
I also like a lot of the poems, none of which are that famous.
Is it weird to have no interest in keeping or collecting free gifts?

My artwork: http://www.iancockburn.co.uk