Free comics in The Guardian

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Peter Gray

Re: Free comics in The Guardian

Post by Peter Gray »

In the case of the letter writer, it just seems to prove Oscar Wilde's observation that it's 'every woman's tragedy' to grow up to be their mother!

good one made me laugh... :lol:

Steve Henderson

Post by Steve Henderson »

Whats the significance of todays Dandy? We got the 2000th Beano, a Valentines Jackie, Roy of the Rovers when Roy race was shot (landmark issue to the fans) Bunty Summer Special. So whats the significance of the Dandy? Its not Dimples first strip is it?

Also were the heck is my free Cola flavoured Bubble Gum?

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Despite the ads inside not saying so, it's the last issue with Korky on the cover.

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

Digifiend wrote:Despite the ads inside not saying so, it's the last issue with Korky on the cover.
Name a comic that's ever done that in the past?

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Beano 1948 when Biffo replaced Big Eggo. Mentioned on Eggo's last cover. :P

PaulTwist

Post by PaulTwist »

steelclaw wrote:I'm going to email The Guardian and ask them to produce one comic a week.
Surely it doesn't cost much for them to do it.
Until recently the Guardian did give away one comic per week - it was imaginatively-titled "The Comic", and ran some of the same strips as The DFC (pre-dating it by a few months if i remember correctly). Sadly it stopped a while back - the paper has been slimming down of late - so a weekly comic would be unlikely. Great idea, though.

Am enjoying this week of free comics immensely - if nothing else, it makes a change from endless wallcharts... :)

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Striker finishes at the end of the week if I'm not mistaken, so The Sun will have a gap for a new story of some sort. They've raided DCT's archive in the past (Desperate Dan, during the 1997 publicity stunt) so perhaps they could use the space to reprint something? I reckon they'll just fill the gap with an advert though.

PaulTwist

Post by PaulTwist »

They'll probably stick in a new football story, won't they? Isn't that what they did when Striker left for its own comic? I hope they do fill it with a new strip of some description. (Not that I ever buy The Sun, but new strips appearing anywhere is a good thing. Obv.)

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

The Premier absolutely bombed. I don't think Striker will get a like-for-like replacement this time.

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

Digifiend wrote:Beano 1948 when Biffo replaced Big Eggo. Mentioned on Eggo's last cover. :P
Well found Digi :up:

Just got the Free Tammy.

In most of the stories half the people would get arrested for assult, with men smacking girls aroung the head.

Steve Henderson

Post by Steve Henderson »

Did anyone else get a shock when they read Euan Kerrs obituary in todays Guardian?

It wasn't ex Beano editor Euan Kerr (Mr Ed on here) but seeing his name on there made me jump a bit, probrably made him jump too if he was reading it! Sad story though for the poor Euan Kerr who drowned though.

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

Don't like Tammy far to bleak not a lot of fun..

wheres the sci-fi...silly stories..magic fun stories..

anyway a great way to finally read one....I really hope the Guardian do this again...

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

I think we'd all agree with that last sentence, it would be good if the Guardian repeated this promotion. What comics would you guys like to see featured if they did?

Suggestion:
Beezer
Topper (these two are logical choices as companions to Beano and Dandy)
Buster (same reason but for Whizzer and Chips)
Victor (boy's comics were under-represented this time)
Misty (completely different to the comics used this time)
Mandy (Bunty's stablemate, an obvious next in line)
Wizard (70s, same reason as Victor)

Note that the above list contains two girls, two boys and three aimed at both sexes, a better mix than the 3:1:3 ratio used this time. I've also avoided duplicates.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Digifiend wrote:I think we'd all agree with that last sentence, it would be good if the Guardian repeated this promotion. What comics would you guys like to see featured if they did?

Suggestion:
Beezer
Topper (these two are logical choices as companions to Beano and Dandy)
Buster (same reason but for Whizzer and Chips)
Victor (boy's comics were under-represented this time)
Misty (completely different to the comics used this time)
Mandy (Bunty's stablemate, an obvious next in line)
Wizard (70s, same reason as Victor)

Note that the above list contains two girls, two boys and three aimed at both sexes, a better mix than the 3:1:3 ratio used this time. I've also avoided duplicates.
I'd like to see a bunch of Sixties comics reprinted, just to show how great that era was, - but I think The Guardian is unlikely to see 50 somethings as its main target audience now.

So if we have to stick with the Seventies / Eighties, I would suggest:

Action (one of the pre-watered down issues. A definite must.)
Tiger (a very popular IPC comic)
Oink! (to show today's kids that "gross humour" ain't new).

and agreeing with Digi's choices for:
Mandy
Victor
Topper
Buster

My favourite of this weeks selection has to be today's Tammy No.1. Well written, nicely drawn, gripping stuff. Shame that we're 38 years too late to buy issue 2. :lol:

Lew
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Peter Gray wrote:Don't like Tammy far to bleak not a lot of fun..

wheres the sci-fi...silly stories..magic fun stories..
That was the point of Tammy, Peter. It was a bit more contemporary and realistic than some other girls' comics. According to Pat Mills it had a bit more of an edge than other girls comics of the day, and set the scene for harder hitting boys comics such as Action and 2000AD. I think Tammy became more diluted later though, from the few issues I've seen.

Lew
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/