Walthamstow Avenue FC in the comics?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

The Avenue

Walthamstow Avenue FC in the comics?

Post by The Avenue »

Hi All,

I'm a long time reader of this forum, but haven't posted until now.

I run a blog devoted to the history of a now defunct, but at one time famous, amateur football club Walthamstow Avenue.

I recently picked up a 1961/62 copy of the 'Topical Times' annual (which whilst not strictly a comic, was published by D.C. Thompson) which had a team shot of the A's.

This got me wondering whether 'The Avenue' may have appeared in other comic publications over the years.

They were quite a famous team at one time (particularly in the 50s or 60s), so it's not ouside the realms of possibility that they may have appeared in true-life features in the comics. Perhaps they were profiled in 'Eagle' or maybe they even played Roy Race's Melchester Rovers at one time?

Anyway, I know it's a slightly left-field request, but if anyone has seen the team in any old comics, I'd love to know.

Thanks,

Walt.
http://walthamstowavenue.wordpress.com

ogtec

Re: Walthamstow Avenue FC in the comics?

Post by ogtec »

I can't help with the particular query I'm afraid, but I do recall that there was an article about Wathamstow Ave (etc.) in When Saturday Comes a while back - maybe ten years? It was titled something along the lines of The Team that Ate East London and focused on the complicated history of mergers that involved the club(s).

Actually, I think the piece appeared before the Redbridge and Dagenham join as I recall thinking the article needed updating...!

George

Digifiend

Re: Walthamstow Avenue FC in the comics?

Post by Digifiend »

ROTR didn't feature real clubs as opponents, so there was never an Avenue vs Melchester match.