FBI takes down illegal comics website

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Lew Stringer

Re: FBI takes down illegal comics website

Post by Lew Stringer »

Phoenix wrote:
ISPYSHHHGUY wrote:what a cheek they had, demanding free copies of every comic ever published by anyone!
It is still the law, Rab, based on the Legal Deposit Libraries Act. In fact, it also relates to books. The publisher, or author if self-publishing, is obliged to send a copy of every book, newspaper, magazine, comic, pamphlet etc that they produce to six different libraries. These are the British Library, Oxford University Library (the Bodleian), Cambridge University Library, the National Library of Wales, the National Library of Scotland and the Library of Trinity College, Dublin. They have one year in which to comply.
I'm sure most small press publishers don't bother though.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

alanultron5 wrote:The Euston Library holds `Music Now` from No1 to the double Xmas/New Year 1970/71 edition; but it doesn't have the final few which ended dated 27th Feb 1971! .... I knows-coz' I has `em!
I hope that's not because you nicked them, Alan. :D

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Lew Stringer wrote: I'm sure most small press publishers don't bother though.
Perhaps some feel able to risk breaking the law if their publications don't have an ISBN number. I can really only speak confidently from personal experience, Lew. I ignored the first two demands, but they were persistent so I complied. I did eventually get an acknowledgement accompanied by some statement or other about how grateful future generations will be for the knowledge I had deposited with them. I am, inevitably, still waiting though for a cheque for £180 plus £20 p&p. :lol: