2011 Annual Covers

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: AndyB, colcool007

rossmac

2011 Annual Covers

Post by rossmac »

Hi all,

Yes, it's May but the 2011 Dandy & Beano Annual Covers are on amazon! Check Amazon to be able to zoom in & see detail.

I'm not a huge Beano fan so won't comment on that, but the 'Classic Ken Dan' on the Dandy cover is lovely- I'm assuming that was Ken HH that drew the cover? Interesting to see Korky & even Brassneck there- are they even in the comic these days?

Looks like the 'classic' book is an 80s themed one continuing on from the 40s 50s 60s & 70s books we had a few years back. I guess 80s seems classic enough these days! Looking forward to it! Have to say I'm a little disappointed at the uneven title proportion given to the Beano. I know that the Beano is the (much) more popular comic today, but it's almost insulting to the Dandy the size it's title is given. Perhaps the back cover is in reverse (ie: Dandy given main title), but I doubt it! I hope this isn't a reflection on the content.

What are everyone's thoughts!?

Ross
Image Image

jakob1978

Re: 2011 Annual Covers

Post by jakob1978 »

The Beano one is a standard sort of cover, not bad but nothing outstanding. I like the Classic cover. Glad they've reverted to something like the original design after last years departure.

The Oor Wullie and Broons/Oor Wullie covers are up too.

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

The Dandy cover is brilliant..

The Beano cover is not that good.too much space left....they should have got David Sutherland to draw it.. :wink:

The Beano and Dandy annual is called Heroes..does that mean it will cover more than just the 80's...
as a guess Ashes to ashes may of inspired this topic..
lots of great Calamity James hopefully..

NP

Post by NP »

rossmac wrote:...the Dandy... I'm assuming that was Ken HH that drew the cover?
I'm guessing you didn't zoom in too close or you'd have spotted the initials in the lower right hand corner!

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

The cover of that Beano & Dandy Classics Book looks as though it might be intended to tie in with the current range of sticking plasters, journals, water bottles, etc. available in some bookshops:

http://www.shinyshack.com/product.php?p ... o-Plasters

- Phil Rushton

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

:shock: That's early. I wonder if they're being released early, instead of releasing them in September for the Christmas market? After all, we already saw the Iron Man cover too, and that one's apparently out for summer.

The Beano & Dandy Heroes one says 80s in small print, so it's a resumption of the decades theme - next year's will probably be a 90s theme then.

Dennis cover.
Beano Calendar (note: it's called Heroes too!).

Bash Street Kids 2011 wasn't listed.

jakob1978

Post by jakob1978 »

Digifiend wrote::shock: That's early. I wonder if they're being released early, instead of releasing them in September for the Christmas market? After all, we already saw the Iron Man cover too, and that one's apparently out for summer.
They all have a release date listed as 16th August

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

Did you notice the Dandy has been reduced to 112 pages this year as against 144 three years ago?

PaulTwist

Post by PaulTwist »

Lovely, I'll be getting the Beano & Dandy Heroes book. The 80s is my era. Hoping for a nice big Calamity James section...

Not impressed with the cover of the Beano annual. The Dandy one's nice - seems from the old-style Dan and the "since 1937" strapline they have at least one eye on the "retro" market...
Last edited by PaulTwist on 24 May 2010, 00:28, edited 1 time in total.

rossmac

Post by rossmac »

NP wrote:
rossmac wrote:...the Dandy... I'm assuming that was Ken HH that drew the cover?
I'm guessing you didn't zoom in too close or you'd have spotted the initials in the lower right hand corner!
Oh my, I'm so sorry! And here was I thinking I was good at recognising artists- even when ghosting other styles. I did recognise last year as yours- and that was without an 'NP' in the corner :-)

Anyway- great work, I love the cover and all the characters look brilliant! I like that a whole host of Dandy characters star, rather than just Dan, like it's been for the last few years. Out of curiosity, who comes up with the idea for the cover- do you submit some ideas or do DCT just tell you what they're after?

Looking forward to picking this up when I'm in the UK in October this year! It'll be odd for me to actually see these books on bookshop shelves!

...and sorry again- but you just did such a good job, especially on Dan, that I thought it was Ken's drawing of him!

Ross

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

AndyB wrote:Did you notice the Dandy has been reduced to 112 pages this year as against 144 three years ago?
Same goes for Beano. :(
jakob1978 wrote:
Digifiend wrote: :shock: That's early. I wonder if they're being released early, instead of releasing them in September for the Christmas market? After all, we already saw the Iron Man cover too, and that one's apparently out for summer.
They all have a release date listed as 16th August
That's two weeks early at least.

NP

Post by NP »

rossmac wrote:...who comes up with the idea for the cover- do you submit some ideas or do DCT just tell you what they're after?
It depends- but usually DCT know exactly what and who they want on the covers and my recollection of this one (drawn last August I think) is that they wanted Dan as big as possible, in the 'classic' Ken H Harrison style, with the other stipulated characters in the same Wild West theme, so that's what I gave them!

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

do I need to say anymore..

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

The design of the new BEANO annual is good, but the depictiion of the characters is the most-removed from the spirit of DCT I have encountered yet, thanks to the decision to absorb 'TV animation'-style graphics. It will probably sell well, however.

The 2009 BEANO calendar is good, but I have to skip past some of the illustrations: on the kitchen wall where I placed it, the eye-level of the extreme close-ups of MINNIE and DENNIS' 'life-sized' faces had a startling, disorientating effect on me when I walked into the kitchen, and I had to stop keeping these pages displayed during their respective months.....the other closeups are fine.

Strange, but true!

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

PaulTwist wrote:Lovely, I'll be getting the Beano & Dandy Heroes book. The 80s is my era. Hoping for a nice big Calamity James section...
With the exception of the Ken H Desperate Dan panel, all the background images from the Heroes book are from the 1950s/60s, which contradicts the 1980s strapline. Maybe it's a dummy cover subject to change?