Whizzer and Chips 1976 annual without the year on the cover

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

skidbum1

Whizzer and Chips 1976 annual without the year on the cover

Post by skidbum1 »

I picked up the 1976 Whizzer and Chips annual at a car boot sale today which had the year missing from the cover and spine. The annual in the comics uk gallery has the year printed on the cover. Has anyone else come across any Fleetway annuals like this?

Raven

Re: Whizzer and Chips 1976 annual without the year on the cover

Post by Raven »

Yes, my copy of the Valiant Annual 1975 has the date missing from its cover and spine.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Printing errors? Seems odd that some copies would have the year and others not. :?

DJDogfart

Post by DJDogfart »

I have a few annuals like this, seems to be confined to the Fleetway titles, although I do have a Beezer that is the same. It seems to be that also, the ones with no date on the cover also have no price in the clipping corner on the inside front page, worth checking yours. I wonder if they are pre production copies that have slipped through the net. Not sure if they are rare or not. it would seem unlikely they are that rare as I have 3 or 4 like this.
Scccrrruunnge

jakob1978

Post by jakob1978 »

DJDogfart wrote:I have a few annuals like this, seems to be confined to the Fleetway titles, although I do have a Beezer that is the same. It seems to be that also, the ones with no date on the cover also have no price in the clipping corner on the inside front page, worth checking yours. I wonder if they are pre production copies that have slipped through the net. Not sure if they are rare or not. it would seem unlikely they are that rare as I have 3 or 4 like this.
I read somewhere that these annuals were printed for release in Australia/New Zealand.

Ah, yes...here it is (halfway down the page)

http://www.tonystrading.co.uk/info/iden ... nnuals.htm

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Good find, knew about that site, but somehow not that page. Thanks.

karl

Post by karl »

'lion' annual 1978 had some copies published with no year printed on cover.

Probably not many around as it was a year when the softcover version was produced.

moose

Post by moose »

Action Annual 1977 is the same, I have versions with and without the date.

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

i have 2 copies of monster fun annual 1977 one has a yellow spine and 1 has a red spine