Comics on TV

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

stevezodiac

Re: Comics on TV

Post by stevezodiac »

Last week on Dickinson's Real Deal a woman brought in 1100 silver age Marvel comics. Her uncle had died and they found them in a cupboard. The expert offered her £1650.00 but she declined and took them to auction where they were sold in five lots and she took home just over £3100.00 after deductions.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Today on local TV London Live station they showed Operation Third Form made by the Children's Film Foundation in 1966. Roberta Tovey of Doctor Who fame was in it. One scene had two boys looking at an Avengers (Marvel) comic outside a newsagents and later another boy was sat on a park bench reading a Victor comic. London Live is showing CFF films every weekend. Next Saturday it is Go Kart Go starring Dennis Waterman. There is an image of the boy reading the Victor on Google if anyone wants to try and identify the issue.

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

The Victor comic in question was No 245 (30/10/65).
This was at the time I was reading Victor regularly as a boy and it was perhaps my
favourite boy's title back then.
The contents of the issue in question were as follows with artists responsible appended
Daredevil Douglas (cover story) - Tony Coleman
The Team That Jack Built - Bert Vandeput
Rebel of the Iron Road - Josep Marti
Sohrab the Warrior - Leo Rawlings
The Lincolnshire Poacher - (text story) - Jerry Butchart
In the Cannon's Mouth - Harry Farrugia
The Tough of the Track - Pete Sutherland
The Last Six Hundred - Yvan Marie
Stephen Strongarm - Master Armourer - Ted Rawlings

Happy days!

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Perhaps you should join grand comics database and fill in some missing artist details. I put Tiger no. 1 on last week but couldn't name any artists. It's still awaiting approval so won't be visible yet.

jakob1978

Post by jakob1978 »

Just been watching Rentaghost on Britbox. In the final episode, Mr Claypole can be seen reading a comic called "Phantom Phunnies", which is clearly a copy of the Beano with a new title pasted over, Dennis the Menace is unmistakable. This episode was Broadcast on 6th November 1984.

Rentaghost.jpg
Rentaghost2.jpg

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Watching a Budgie episode on Talking Pictures TV a couple of weeks ago and Adam Faith was reading the Hornet or Hotspur.

jakob1978

Post by jakob1978 »

jakob1978 wrote:
29 Jan 2021, 01:47
Just been watching Rentaghost on Britbox. In the final episode, Mr Claypole can be seen reading a comic called "Phantom Phunnies", which is clearly a copy of the Beano with a new title pasted over, Dennis the Menace is unmistakable. This episode was Broadcast on 6th November 1984.

Rentaghost.jpg
Rentaghost2.jpg
After a bit of searching, I think it’s issue 2186, dated 9th june 1984
5D95820C-DB13-491C-9BE1-A9866DBBD70F.jpeg

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

One of my guilty pleasures is watching Wheel of Fortune on Challenge TV. This morning the bloke who presents the prizes was sitting in an armchair reading the Beano. A 1988 episode.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Watched an episode of Chips on Forces tv last night and it was a comic based episode. Elvira was in it as a comic shop owner and there were lots of American comic covers visible on spinner racks. The villain was Stanley Woods (played by Rich Little) who was the creator of Sea Thing (a Swamp Thing type creature) . Actually the creator was a woman who he had imprisoned in his castle and was putting out the comic in his own name. That's the first episode of Chips I've ever watched.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Watching On The Buses this morning on ITV3 (or 4). In the Butler home Olive had a pile of papers and magazines on the dinner table among which was a copy of Buzz.

blaing

Post by blaing »

During the opening titles of the first episode of Spike Milligan's Q6 series during the salaries gag, a copy of Lindy is placed on the counter.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Minnie the Minx and her artist Laura Howell are on BBC Two's Secrets of the Museum, which started five minutes ago!
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland- ... l-61015810
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0016f01

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

In the early 1970s series "Billy Liar" (Starring Jeff Rawle) Billy reads an issue of `Sparky` in his office!
A Face unclouded by thought.

Into The Abyss

Post by Into The Abyss »

I loved watching those TV adverts back in 1982 promoting the newly rebooted Eagle comic. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHWK6nThxdQ
Well, hello there! :wave:

Tin Can Tommy

Post by Tin Can Tommy »

I wonder what the comic he's fed up with is. :D