Comics on TV

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Dunder Ed

Re: Comics on TV

Post by Dunder Ed »

I think a Dennis and Gnasher poster appeared in Tracy Beaker on Cbbc.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Which episode?

Dunder Ed

Post by Dunder Ed »

Not sure, but if you know the programme look out for it in Lol's room

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

That narrows it down to any episode between series 2 and series 5! When did you see it? With that info, I should be able to find and identify the episode on iPlayer.

blaing

Post by blaing »

here is another one.

This time, I found references in the 1970's series "Open All Hours"

both references are from the first series.

On the opening titles of series one (I am not sure if it appears in all six episodes of series one, as I have only seen the episodes "Beware of the Dog" and "Well Catered Funeral") as Arkwright (Ronnie Barker) and Granville (David Jason) come out of the front entrance of their shop, there are magazine racks on both sides. on their left (our right (from the point of view of the camera) there was a "Look-In", and on the left hand side. was an issue of "Warlord"

here are some screencaps

Later in the episode "Well Catered Funeral", Arkwright was waiting for the arrival of the bakery's delivery boy, and it seems he was reading "The Beezer". In the screenshot below, Granville has the Beezer.

Update: I have now watched all six episode of Series one, and Arkwright expanded his comics in the series finale "Apples and Self Service". In one scene, he comes out of his shop, and along with the other comics mentioned, he also had Battle, and Bunty to the comics he had on sale...

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Looks like a Debbie above the Look-In. The union jack cover suggests it might be a silver jubilee issue but it would have been a year early.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

That 100 on the Battle comic I think is for a competition to celebrate the 100th issue. And that looks like a Tommy Atkins War cover on the Warlord. Now if I remember rightly then the Battle should be from circa Dec '76/Jan '77. But the Tommy Atkins war story that I am thinking of is from Summer '75 so that can't be right. But then again, a prop is a prop!
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Al
Sir!

Post by Al »

The Battle Picture Weekly dates from 13th December 1975. This title was the one that got me started in the world of comics.
Attachments
Battle #41 - 13th December 1975
Battle #41 - 13th December 1975

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

colcool007 wrote:Now if I remember rightly then the Battle should be from circa Dec '76/Jan '77.
That would've been impossible, as Open All Hours' first series aired in 1976, before that was published.

December 1975 eh? I wonder if all the comics were bought at the same time, and therefore were out on the same week?

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

I bought the new Magical Mystery Tour 7" single + dvd/blu ray
box set at the beginning Ringo goes and buys his ticket in a newsagent.

Showing 2 Judy Picture Story Libraries?
Filmed 11 September and finishing on 25 September 1967.

JUDY Picture Story Library For Girls no.52 1967

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

Good one Steel Claw...I can see private eye at the top..

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

From the sitcom "How not to live your life"

This episode is from 2007.

Niblet

Post by Niblet »

This 1982 episode from from the Ronnie Corbett sitcom, Sorry! (episode title The Big Sleep), gives another outing to that oft-used plotline whereby the lead character mistakenly believes he has only a short time to live. Timothy Lumsden therefore determines to dispose of all his worldly goods, including his Eagle collection.

Niblet

Post by Niblet »

From current cinema release, Ginger & Rosa, set at the time of the Cuban Missile Crisis (October 1962). This pic is from the trailer on YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XD_pJgNRj9s - but I saw a longer clip of this scene on TV and if I remember correctly, the comic nearest the camera in this shot is a Bunty.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Here's a picture of Jimmy Edwards as TVs Whacko (himself a comic character) reading the Rover. The picture is from my TV Times booklet of TV Unforgettables which you would cut out from the magazine each week and fold into a football programme sized booklet. And here's the copy of Rover he's reading.