Comics on TV

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: AndyB, colcool007

User avatar
Peter Gray
Posts: 4222
Joined: 28 Feb 2006, 00:07
Location: Surrey Guildford
Contact:

Re: Comics on TV

Post by Peter Gray »

The comic was 27th June 1970 Valiant

Maybe this topic would make a good story for Commando..showing the black african army lead by the British in fighting the Japanesse.

User avatar
stevezodiac
Posts: 4806
Joined: 23 May 2006, 20:43
Location: space city

Re: Comics on TV

Post by stevezodiac »

Next Tuesday at 12.35 (lunchtime) BBC2 is showing Hue and Cry mentioned earlier by me in this topic (page 17). A really enjoyable film where a Boy's paper takes centre stage. One of my favourite films as it mirrors my own childhood in blitz ravaged Rotherhithe in the 60s.

steelclaw
DC Skelton
Posts: 1868
Joined: 01 Mar 2006, 19:24

Re: Comics on TV

Post by steelclaw »

Taken from the kids 1968 series the Tyrant King.

Image

January Number 75.

Image

The girls reading a Superman comic.
Image

User avatar
philcom55
Posts: 5170
Joined: 14 Jun 2006, 11:56

Re: Comics on TV

Post by philcom55 »

Great stuff! :)

The scary thing is that I recognized the Superman cover without even having to look it up! :?

Image

(Now if I could just remember to feed the cat...if I had a cat!)

- Phil R.

Phoenix
Guru
Posts: 5354
Joined: 27 Mar 2008, 21:15

Re: Comics on TV

Post by Phoenix »

steelclaw wrote:The girls reading a Superman comic.
Are you sure, steelclaw? I think she's fast asleep.

Raven
Posts: 2829
Joined: 16 Aug 2007, 22:58
Location: Highboro'

Re: Comics on TV

Post by Raven »

steelclaw wrote:Taken from the kids 1968 series the Tyrant King.
Been taking advantage of the 40% off Network sale, there, Steely?!

steelclaw
DC Skelton
Posts: 1868
Joined: 01 Mar 2006, 19:24

Re: Comics on TV

Post by steelclaw »

Phoenix wrote:
steelclaw wrote:The girls reading a Superman comic.
Are you sure, steelclaw? I think she's fast asleep.
:D It does look like she's a sleep Phoenix, I pressed the Print Screen button at the wrong time.

Raven wrote:
steelclaw wrote:Taken from the kids 1968 series the Tyrant King.
Been taking advantage of the 40% off Network sale, there, Steely?!
Yes Raven,
I Obviously bought the Tyrant King Armchair Theatre Vol 1, and And Mother makes five just for nostalgia.
I've only watched one episode of each so far but The Tyrant King is looking very good.
philcom55 wrote:Great stuff! :)

The scary thing is that I recognized the Superman cover without even having to look it up! :?

Image

(Now if I could just remember to feed the cat...if I had a cat!)

- Phil R.
How on earth did you get that phil?
Last edited by steelclaw on 02 Aug 2013, 22:02, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
stevezodiac
Posts: 4806
Joined: 23 May 2006, 20:43
Location: space city

Re: Comics on TV

Post by stevezodiac »

The boy - a comic fan - is holding the comic flat whereas the girl - no appreciation of comics - has folded it back. :)

How do we know you've put the correct Superman cover up? There is absolutely nothing to go on. :wink:
Last edited by stevezodiac on 02 Aug 2013, 22:04, edited 1 time in total.

Raven
Posts: 2829
Joined: 16 Aug 2007, 22:58
Location: Highboro'

Re: Comics on TV

Post by Raven »

steelclaw wrote: Yes Raven,
I Obviously bought the Tyrant King Armchair Theatre Vol 1, and And Mother makes five just for nostalgia..
You managed to resist the comic-packed complete Paper Lads?

The Tyrant King is very groovy. I want one of those BBC West of England Light Orchestra Fan Club t-shirts like Peter's!

steelclaw
DC Skelton
Posts: 1868
Joined: 01 Mar 2006, 19:24

Re: Comics on TV

Post by steelclaw »

Raven wrote:
steelclaw wrote: Yes Raven,
I Obviously bought the Tyrant King Armchair Theatre Vol 1, and And Mother makes five just for nostalgia..
You managed to resist the comic-packed complete Paper Lads?

The Tyrant King is very groovy. I want one of those BBC West of England Light Orchestra Fan Club t-shirts like Peter's!
I haven't seen that T.Shirt yet I will look out for it.
Groovy music from Pink Floyd and The Moody Blues I think.

I thought 3 DVDs was enough until the next sale after Christmas usually isn't it?, and will probably buy The Paper Lads,Beasts which looks quite good I don't remember it first time round though, The Kids from 47a and quite a few others.

Have you bought any in the sale Raven?

Raven
Posts: 2829
Joined: 16 Aug 2007, 22:58
Location: Highboro'

Re: Comics on TV

Post by Raven »

steelclaw wrote: I thought 3 DVDs was enough until the next sale after Christmas usually isn't it?, and will probably buy The Paper Lads,Beasts which looks quite good I don't remember it first time round though, The Kids from 47a and quite a few others.

Have you bought any in the sale Raven?
I restrained myself and stuck to just some Ealing Rarities and Whodunnit (the Jon Pertwee-hosted ones are great fun, full of old Thames sitcom stars on the panel).

Beasts, The Paper Lads and The Kids From 47a (16 episodes, I think the first series is) sound like a great choice for your next purchase. These sales aren't at regular times, though, I don't think, so you can't accurately say when there'll definitely be another, or what the percentage off will be. I'd be surprised if there's another big one that soon.

jakob1978
Posts: 166
Joined: 23 May 2010, 16:58

Re: Comics on TV

Post by jakob1978 »

This is from "Rumpole of the Bailey", series 05 ep 05 "Rumpole and Portia", broadcast 21st December 1988. Can't get clear screenshots, but i think the boy passing through shot is reading a Beano. Looks a bit like a Dennis strip on the back page.

Image
Image

User avatar
Digifiend
Posts: 7289
Joined: 15 Aug 2007, 11:43
Location: Hull, UK

Re: Comics on TV

Post by Digifiend »

A question on Take On The Twisters a minute ago asked "In which comic did the Bash Street Kids appear in?" The contestant didn't know that it was The Beano. At least they didn't get it wrong though, they only passed (would've been embarrassing if they'd said Whizzer and Chips for example). But they're 59 years old, you'd think it'd be common knowledge that they're Beano stars.

Lew Stringer
Posts: 7041
Joined: 01 Mar 2006, 00:59
Contact:

Re: Comics on TV

Post by Lew Stringer »

Digifiend wrote:A question on Take On The Twisters a minute ago asked "In which comic did the Bash Street Kids appear in?" The contestant didn't know that it was The Beano. At least they didn't get it wrong though, they only passed (would've been embarrassing if they'd said Whizzer and Chips for example). But they're 59 years old, you'd think it'd be common knowledge that they're Beano stars.
To be fair, the fact that they're 59 is all the more reason they'd have forgotten after all these years. For many people, comics were only ever a tiny part of their lives and most stop reading them before they hit their teens.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

User avatar
r3tr0_gam3r
Posts: 164
Joined: 08 Jan 2010, 21:56
Location: Hertfordshire, UK

Re: Comics on TV

Post by r3tr0_gam3r »

Digifiend wrote:A question on Take On The Twisters a minute ago asked "In which comic did the Bash Street Kids appear in?" The contestant didn't know that it was The Beano. At least they didn't get it wrong though, they only passed (would've been embarrassing if they'd said Whizzer and Chips for example). But they're 59 years old, you'd think it'd be common knowledge that they're Beano stars.
I was watching that, she said 'Batman', I remember laughing at it.

Post Reply