Comics on TV

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Raven

Re: Comics on TV

Post by Raven »

DavidKW wrote: I was watching the gritty Hammer Horror from early 70s "Straight On Till Morning" and in an early scene the villain Peter (real name Clive) goes into a Newsagents - a Playhour & Robin is in full view, complete with Magic Roundabout cover; can also see ttitle head of a Pippin comic and top end of what may be a boys' comics (Warlord perhaps?).

It was almost three years pre-Warlord. It would have been filmed around November 1971. This Hammer thriller did used to turn up on terrestrial TV, but I don't think it has for quite some time.

Raven

Post by Raven »

Niblet wrote:Another old British film, this time Too Many Crooks, 1959. As is often the case in the media, the dim character (played in this case by Bernard Bresslaw) is the one reading comics.

I've just seen a good example of this in Alun Owen's 1960 play 'Lena, O My Lena' from Network's 'Armchair Theatre, Volume Three' collection. It's set in a warehouse where the worker of very low intelligence ... is a comic reader! For nearly injuring a workmate, the foreman makes him hand over his comic as punishment, and, from then, his catchphrase becomes: "Can I have me comic?"

Hard to tell what the comic is - it's kept crumpled up in trouser pockets, the workers obviously having no idea that a pristine copy might be worth a few quid fifty-four years later.

George Shiers

Post by George Shiers »

In the most recent episode of Top Gear, the second part of the Burma Special, Jeremy Clarkson can be seen shaving with a Beano toiletries bag on the table.
shaving.jpg
Visit my blog all about British comics old and new! http://www.whackycomics.blogspot.com

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

A question on BBC Two's Two Tribes just asked in which city the Beano and Dandy comics originate from. The contestants all gave wrong answers, the correct answer of course being Dundee.

Michael Anden

Post by Michael Anden »

I know there was an episode of Minder where Terry had to look after the kid who 'might' have been his son. The boy was reading a comic in Terry's flat, can anyone remember which ep this was (and even better- what the comic was)?

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

Michael Anden wrote:I know there was an episode of Minder where Terry had to look after the kid who 'might' have been his son. The boy was reading a comic in Terry's flat, can anyone remember which ep this was (and even better- what the comic was)?
arrgh! i watched this last year when i had the dvd box set & i also recall this ii may have been,
Season 2, Episode 5
Not a Bad Lad, Dad
but i cant check the comic as i no longer have the dvds but i may download the series but i have to get another media player as mine are all full :(

japandroid

Post by japandroid »

I've had a quick look through this thread and would like to mention Tristan on George & Mildred reading X-Men at the breakfast table, possibly #98. Also a Misty appearance on a newagent shelf in Minder. Oh, yeah, Radar reading an Avengers on Mash 10 years before it was published.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

In the bbc series Holiday Of My Lifetime which is currently being shown on weekday afternoons the opening montage shows Len Goodman sitting with Eamon Holmes reading 1960s Dandys. That episode is on this week but not today. I expect someone will be able to identify the actual issue.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

My mate Steve got this from philcomics:

Dear Collector,

How do you fancy talking about your collection of comics on camera and appear on the BBC2 Collectaholics show?!

We've been approached by RDF Television who are looking for budding collectors who can talk enthusiastically about their collection of comics or annuals and be interviewed by Mark Hill, the antiques expert regularly seen on television.

Here's what Georgia from RDF TV had to say:

I work for an independent television production company called RDF Television and we make a number of high profile shows for all the major channels. We are currently producing the second series of Collectaholics for BBC2, a primetime show presented by antiques expert Mark Hill which explores people’s passion for collecting.

We start filming this autumn and are very keen to speak to enthusiastic collectors. We aren’t asking anyone to commit at this stage, we’d just like to speak to people about the programme. If this is something that interests you, or if you know of any societies or groups that we should speak to, it would be good to have a chat about this.

If you would prefer to call me, you can contact me on (I have edited out the contact details as I am not sure they would want them in the public domain - steve zodiac) Otherwise it would be great if you could let me know of a convenient time for me to speak to you, along with your telephone number.

Feel free to contact Georgia direct if this is something that interests you - it would be great for the British comics arena that we immerse ourselves in if somebody could represent British comics. I'm half tempted myself as it happens!!

Best wishes,
Phil Shrimpton

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

I got the same email from phil comics but my collection is only a few thousand & i'm sure we will get to see some of the members on here who has complete runs of most DCT.fleetway stuff etc ,hopefully show off their collection.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

big bad bri wrote:I got the same email from phil comics but my collection is only a few thousand & i'm sure we will get to see some of the members on here who has complete runs of most DCT.fleetway stuff etc ,hopefully show off their collection.

It was passed on to me too but it's not something I'd be remotely interested in doing. I think the fact they're calling it 'Collectaholics' tells you the tone the programme will take. It'll be edited to portray people as the "obsessive" freak of the week so the media can poke fun, like they did in regards to the last series:
http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-enter ... 88234.html

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I've mentioned this forum to the lady doing the programme. She might be a bit miffed at your words Lew. I've never seen Collectorholics so don't know what stance they take. My mate Steve was interviewed for the original Kate Bush live shows in 1979 and says he came across so badly he is never likely to repeat the experience.

Just looked at your link and do not understand why they say beer tinnies - whats wrong with beer cans? I've always found Australian slang to be very backward. Its funny but I see collecting comics as a totally rational thing to do but collecting something like beer cans seems absurd. Maybe i'm biased.

Raven

Post by Raven »

Lew Stringer wrote: It was passed on to me too but it's not something I'd be remotely interested in doing. I think the fact they're calling it 'Collectaholics' tells you the tone the programme will take. It'll be edited to portray people as the "obsessive" freak of the week so the media can poke fun, like they did in regards to the last series:
http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-enter ... 88234.html
Yes, this series is sold to potential participants as one celebrating collecting and collectors, but to the viewing public as being about "collectors in crisis", and aims to help them get their stuff to a storage centre, logged and evaluated, and, possibly, sold, while filming how the participant deals with all that, the cameras following their every reaction.

"Every collector, or anyone who knows one, will know what can happen when their obsession with their collection goes one step too far – every Collectaholic featured in the show had an issue that Mel and I helped them solve... What drives someone to collect what they do and why is there so much of it? Are there hidden tears and tribulations behind it all?"
http://www.markhillpublishing.com/collectaholics/

Do you want these people to "help you solve" your "problems" for the sake of "reality" TV?
Last edited by Raven on 28 Oct 2014, 14:36, edited 1 time in total.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

stevezodiac wrote:I've mentioned this forum to the lady doing the programme. She might be a bit miffed at your words Lew. I've never seen Collectorholics so don't know what stance they take.
The article I linked to is where I got that impression from Steve. Seems that Raven agrees with me, and that quote he's posted from the production company itself backs me up.

Here's how the BBC describe it on their own site:
"Mel Giedroyc and antiques expert Mark Hill help collectors in crisis as they comfort, catalogue, curate, clear out and showcase precious items. In doing so, we get a vivid insight into the lives, loves and dilemmas of the owners and discover what drives them to collect on such enormous scales."
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03ybzg1

Raven

Post by Raven »

TV researchers are nearly always very nice - they have to be - but the programmes have their own agendas, and you can expect that the only people who'll be chosen will be those whose collections would appear "freakish" to the outsider, who ideally have families who feel it's impacting on them for added drama, and who will be emotionally connected to their collection in such a way that the cameras can pick up all their anxiety when following their every move on their "journey" as they're helped with their "problem."