Comics on TV

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Lew Stringer

Re: Comics on TV

Post by Lew Stringer »

Peter Gray wrote:i love seeing original comic art as well...see latest blog post

http://www.petergraycartoonsandcomics.b ... l-art.html

Reg Parlett's creepy Comix..theres cut out bits..tippex..and drawn in two halves...4x as big..

it will join my Cliff Hanger by Jack and Lew Stringer's Tom Thug original..;0)

I'm proud that my work is amongst such distinguished company Peter. The work of Reg and Jack was always a joy to behold. I wonder how many pages Reg drew over his long career? Must have been thousands, and all top quality stuff.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

DavidKW

Post by DavidKW »

Whilst not a direct sighting of a comic, but with a comic connection:

I watched last Wednesday's "The Apprentice" about creating & selling a new flavour beer - and one team went to a "Kent" beer festival held in Putney - held at "The Bricklaters Arms" which is just round the corner, a few yards down to road of the 30th Century Comics shop no less.

It's a pub I visited after my last visit there - armed with a big bag of comics; they had all-Yorkshire beers on the bar as a theme.

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

I'm going to the 30th Century shop on Thursday hopefully...can't wait.. :D

blaing

Post by blaing »

On my blog a few years back, I posted a screencap from the Benny Hill Show showing Benny reading an issue of the Dandy. I noted on the blog that I saw a sketch featuring two kids (one reading a Beano) from late in the show's run.

Finally, I have located the sketch, which originally aired on 5/4/89. Now for a test, can anyone identify which Beano the girl was reading.

jakob1978

Post by jakob1978 »

blaing wrote:On my blog a few years back, I posted a screencap from the Benny Hill Show showing Benny reading an issue of the Dandy. I noted on the blog that I saw a sketch featuring two kids (one reading a Beano) from late in the show's run.

Finally, I have located the sketch, which originally aired on 5/4/89. Now for a test, can anyone identify which Beano the girl was reading.

It's the issue dated September 3rd 1988

jakob1978

Post by jakob1978 »

big bad bri wrote:Just watching v for vendetta on blu ray & 27.13 mins in there us 2 beanos & 2 hotspurs on the wall. I dont know if its been mentioned so apologies if it has.
bit late, but here's the best i can cap, hard to see the covers (I don't have the film on blu-ray so it's not the best screenshot). The Beano masthead, with the curved logo over the blue segment, looks like a mid 60's maybe?

jakob1978

Post by jakob1978 »

Ah..bit of detective work shows that the Hotspur comic 2nd from left is the 1st January 1971 issue, with Red Star Robinson on the cover

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

jakob1978 wrote:the Hotspur comic 2nd from left is the 1st January 1971 issue
Not quite, jakob. The issue shown is 637, dated January 1 1972. The first issue in 1971 was 585, dated January 2.

Raven

Post by Raven »

A woman on this afternoon's Four Rooms (C4) was trying to sell an original, signed illustration of Minnie the Minx by Jim Petrie, hoping one of the four dealers would offer her (a rather unrealistic) £1-2,000 for it. The dealers seem to be have been led to believe that the illustration is "by its creator."

It's repeated on 4Seven at 5pm and will presumably turn up on the 4OD website soon enough.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Huh, the average man on the street wouldn't know the difference between Jim Petrie and Leo Baxendale. Neither are household names. That art was worth hundreds at best, not thousands. Maybe not even that considering it's not a rarity.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Digifiend wrote:That art was worth hundreds at best, not thousands. Maybe not even that considering it's not a rarity.
You may well be right, Digi, with your rather wide valuation range, but it is always worth remembering that any item is worth what someone is prepared to pay for it. However, I must disagree with your point that the sketch isn't a rarity. Given its provenance, the exact opposite must be true.
Last edited by Phoenix on 22 May 2013, 22:08, edited 1 time in total.

Raven

Post by Raven »

Digifiend wrote:Huh, the average man on the street wouldn't know the difference between Jim Petrie and Leo Baxendale.

The dealers in the programme will sell to their clients, though, who'll be collectors.

jakob1978

Post by jakob1978 »

here's some pictures of the sketch. The writing underneath says "Drawn by Jim for Sue, 1998 Dundee".

She sold it for £450 in the end

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

That's a lot of money!

8)

love to own an original Jim Petrie sketch...But that is too much for me..£30 maybe.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I bought two original Kayhole kate strips by Alan Morley for £75 and £80 so I can consider tham a bargain. Phil Clarke still has some for £100 each.