Keyhole Kate

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Lew Stringer

Keyhole Kate

Post by Lew Stringer »

Does anyone know if Keyhole Kate appeared in any other publication than The Dandy in the 1930s-50s? Weekly News? Red Letter? etc.

Digifiend

Re: Keyhole Kate

Post by Digifiend »

No idea, but does anyone have access to all 26 issues of The Dandy from 1945?
http://www.comicvine.com/keyhole-kate/29-16938/
Comic Vine wrote:She even managed to oust Korky the Cat on the cover for one issue in 1945.
That just doesn't ring true to me.

Jay

Post by Jay »

Yeah, that was me who wrote that. I got that 'fact' from The Dandy's wikipedia entry. Which is foolish thinking there are actually any facts at all on wikipedia.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Digifiend wrote:Comic Vine wrote:
She even managed to oust Korky the Cat on the cover for one issue in 1945.
Digifiend wrote:That just doesn't ring true to me.
According to Ray Moore's The Dandy Monster Index, Keyhole Kate appeared as The Dandy cover strip on issue 294 (Jun. 9 1945).

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

So it's true? I wonder why they did that? I'd have thought that if Korky's artist James Crichton wasn't available, they'd just have somebody ghost it, rather than put another character on the cover.

DaveWhit.

Post by DaveWhit. »

I've got this copy of the Dandy with the Keyhole Kate cover...but I'm blowed to know where I've filed it, which is a bit of a worry as it isn't where it should be!
I'm working long night shifts until Monday morning, so won't be able to make a thorough search for it until then, but I will post it IF I can find the damn thing.

However, in the meantime I'm kind of of hoping that Kashgar will be able to post a picture of his copy.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Digifiend wrote:So it's true? I wonder why they did that?
Because she was popular? Just a try-out to see if it affected sales?

Anyway; does anyone know if Keyhole Kate featured in any other publication apart from The Dandy in the 1930s/40s/50s? My Mum has always said that her Mum liked Keyhole Kate way back when but my late Grandma would have been about 47 when The Dandy was launched so I doubt she'd have read that. (Although she may have, as my Grandad was partial to the occasional comic, having grown up on Illustrated Chips etc.)

Just wanted to put a lifelong mystery to rest and know if my Grandma read The Dandy or whether the strip was also in Red Letter or somesuch publication. :)

Kashgar, you're needed! :)
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

Keyhole Kate was in Sparky..

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

Sparky was a little more recent than The Dandy, though!

Could she have been in short strips in The Weekly News? Also was The People's Friend aimed at a more general audience in that era? (i'm assuming 1900's here if she would have been in her 40's when The Dandy came out). Those are the only DCT publications i can think of that go back that far!

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

She returned to the Dandy, drawn by Sid Burgon, in the late 80s/early 90s. I don't have anything like exact years.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

While we are all waiting for the celebrated Keyhole Kate DANDY cover [I've heard of this: I'd love to see this myself!] here's something related [a bit!]: a cameo from our Kate on a korking KORKY kover.

Pretty unusual---at one time, dunno about today----- for other DANDY characters to appear on the cover even in a guest capacity .

Sorry it's a wee bit small, this was culled and converted from e-bay.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I have a fair collection of Thomsons Women's magazines from various eras including Red Star Weekly, Secrets and Red Letter and have never seen Keyhole Kate therein. I have a 1933 copy of the Wizard that has a comic strip centre spread with two or three Alan Morley strips but I don't think KK was one of them. Nero and Zero were there.

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

ISPYSHHHGUY wrote:While we are all waiting for the celebrated Keyhole Kate DANDY cover [/img]
First person to post it is a super star. :)

DaveWhit.

Post by DaveWhit. »

Have managed to find issue 295 of Dandy with the Keyhole Kate cover.

Will post the back cover featuring the demoted Korky in a few minutes.

DaveWhit.

Post by DaveWhit. »

Here's the cover. Sorry it is so small, but when I scan it at anything higher than 50dpi it exceeds the max file size and won't submit. Any tips on how to get around this problem?
Attachments
kkate.jpg