What did you get for Christmas?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

SID

What did you get for Christmas?

Post by SID »

Comic based I mean?

First of all, Merry Christmas everyone.

For me, I got:

The Dandy Annual 2011
Dan Dare Space Annual 1963
Beano and Dandy Heroes
The Dandy Collection
(from M&S - thanks to Lew)
A volume from the Trigan Empire collection
Our Wullie Book
The Broons/Our Wullie Book

Now sitting down for a great read with a tin of chocolate.

Heaven! :up:
Last edited by SID on 28 Dec 2010, 13:32, edited 6 times in total.
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

STARBOY

Re: What did you get for Christmas?

Post by STARBOY »

Nice selection (especially the Trigan Empire got a few collections of that with Don Lawrence art - lovely stuff) I got Fantastic Four Adventure no 12 that's all decided I need to cut back on the comics / books I get my lofts packed need to weed them out before I buy any more stuff - enjoy your books

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

Merry Christmas everyone.
I didn't get any this year :(

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

The Beano Annual (strange that Dave Eastbury could draw Ivy the Terrible but not the two strips he normally draws, Ball Boy and Freddy Fear!)
The Dandy Annual (goodbye to most of the characters in that, probably)
The Dennis and Gnasher Annual (mostly drawn by Tom Paterson, he's certainly been busy)
Beano and Dandy Heroes (Korky, a forgotten hero? Guess the decision to bring him back was late in the day)

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

The Beano and Dandy annuals, i loved the various "alphabet" background gags in the Dandy one: "A is for A grape, B is for Blue cheese" etc

I also got a "Can You Remember?" nostalgia book covering 100 years from the 1890's to 1990's. Of course the first four chapters are the ones i'm most interested in!

SID

Post by SID »

Oh I forget, Dan Dare Space Annual 1963 (added to my original list).

Regarding the Dandy annual, I do wonder if the comic revamp will continue to the next book including having the regular artists draw their characters (e.g. Jamie for Desperate Dan).

I have never heard of Can You Remember? books. Who did them and are they any good?
Last edited by SID on 28 Dec 2010, 13:29, edited 1 time in total.
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

It's A book (actually) called "Remember When" and it doesn't just cover comics, which are represented only by a scattering of cover scans. But it's published by Bounty Books.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

SID wrote:Regarding the Dandy annual, I do wonder if the comic revamp will continue to the next book including having the regular artists draw their characters (e.g. Jamie for Desperate Dan).
I suspect 2012 will be a mix of old and new (i.e. Postman Prat and George vs Dragon might show up, but don't be surprised if Jak and Todd or Cuddles and Dimples are there too), and 2013 will be 100% new look Dandy. That's considering what the 2006 and 2009 editions were like (after the 2004 and 2007 revamps). The use of "wrong" artists isn't likely to change though. Sometimes the regular artists aren't available, or are too busy. That was certainly the case with Jamie Smart this year.

Asger

Post by Asger »

In Denmark we've got the great strip of the Norse Gods: Valhalla by Peter Madsen, which has just ended after 30 years. It has been reprinted in 5 deluxe albums with loads of extra-material:
http://comicwiki.dk/wiki/Valhalla_-_Den_samlede_saga_1 .
And those I got for X-mas from my girlfriend and my daughter.
"Don't take life seriously. It ain't nohow permanent."
Pogo
www.willy-centret.dk

Richard S.

Post by Richard S. »

Dan Dare biography
my blog: http://boysadventurecomics.blogspot.co.uk/
facebook: Richard Sheaf
facebook group: Boys adventure comic blog
Twitter: @richardandsheaf
Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/BoysAdventureComics/

steve3po

Post by steve3po »

Bit late with this I guess but I got...

Complete Steranko, Nick Fury Agent of Shield. Which is great fun. I love 60's Marvel comics.

Self Made Hero's adaptation of ' A Study in Scarlet'. Not read it yet but it looks fantastic so looking forward to getting stuck into that one.

I bought the Dennis and Gnasher annual for my son which is really very good.

SID

Post by SID »

I hope you are all enjoying your Christmas.

This Christmas, Santa got me the following:

The Dandy Annual 2015
Classic Beano & Dandy - The Comics That Won the War!
The Golden Age of DC Comics
The Silver Age of DC Comics
Marvel Comics the Untold Story
Roy - The Official Autobiography of Roy of the Rovers
Daily Dredds

Just reading The Dandy Annual. What a brilliant book. I love Lew's strips. And it's great to see Cuddles and Dimples' mum again (she doesn't age does she?). But the star of the book must be Amadeus.
Last edited by SID on 27 Dec 2014, 17:05, edited 2 times in total.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Well, my prediction was wide of the mark, wasn't it? Most of the post-2010 characters never made it to the annual and the last two have been full on nostalgia mode.

SID

Post by SID »

Digifiend wrote:Well, my prediction was wide of the mark, wasn't it? Most of the post-2010 characters never made it to the annual and the last two have been full on nostalgia mode.
But it is still going and IMO better than ever. Interesting to see that there are no Bananaman strip though he appears in the inside front covers. I guess he has fully embraced the dark side that is The Beano.

Hmm! I see the Dan has a new girlfriend (Daisy). Not sure what Little Bear would say.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

SID wrote: Just reading The Dandy Annual. What a brilliant book. I love Lew's strips. And it's great to see Cuddles and Dimples' mum again (she doesn't age does she?). But the star of the book must be Amadeus.

Thanks Sid! I plotted that Cuddles and Dimples story by the way, with their mum in her fur swimsuit. :)