What did you get for Christmas?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

tony ingram

Re: What did you get for Christmas?

Post by tony ingram »

The only comics related gift I got this year was the Doctor Who Annual. I'll probably pick up the Beano and Dandy annuals in the New Year.

SID

Post by SID »

Lew Stringer wrote:
SID wrote: Just reading The Dandy Annual. What a brilliant book. I love Lew's strips. And it's great to see Cuddles and Dimples' mum again (she doesn't age does she?). But the star of the book must be Amadeus.

Thanks Sid! I plotted that Cuddles and Dimples story by the way, with their mum in her fur swimsuit. :)
Good call, Lew. :up: How did you get involved in that? And did you script your own strips.
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

SID wrote:
Lew Stringer wrote:
SID wrote: Just reading The Dandy Annual. What a brilliant book. I love Lew's strips. And it's great to see Cuddles and Dimples' mum again (she doesn't age does she?). But the star of the book must be Amadeus.

Thanks Sid! I plotted that Cuddles and Dimples story by the way, with their mum in her fur swimsuit. :)
Good call, Lew. :up: How did you get involved in that? And did you script your own strips.
Just helpng out on C&D. Yes, I wrote all my own material on the strips I drew for the book. The only things of mine I don't write these days are the Ivy the Terrible strips for the weekly Beano.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

babington

Post by babington »

bought my nephew a subscription to Phoenix for xmas - just been reading issue 150 and it's very good fun, especially the one with the penguin and polar bear :-)

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I got a Dennis the Menace mug and an Andy Capp yearbook/diary.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy »

Comic-related stuff, yes?

I got:

-Box of 100 Beano postcards
-Beano 2015 Calendar
-Where's Dennis? (Masterpiece, this is - like Where's Wally only with Dennis, drawn by Wilbur Dawbarn. Tons of cameos to spot as well, it even has Shiner in it!)
-You Are Here (compilation of Kevin Woodcock cartoons)
-Amazingly Stupid MAD
-Hunt Emerson - Dante's Inferno
-Hunt Emerson - Rime of the Ancient Mariner
-The Penguin Book of Private Eye Cartoons
-The Complete Milt Gross
-Viz - The Dutch Oven
-The Best of Milligan & McCarthy
-Two issues of a weird looking American comic called Trailer Trash
-The first issue of Marvel's Brand Echh
-The Xmas issue of Marvel's The Ren & Stimpy Show

Got a £20 WHSmith voucher as well, with which I intend on getting the Beano and Dandy annuals, and the Viz Big Book of Adventure.

Did well there!
http://twoheadedthingies.blogspot.co.uk/ - My comics blog, mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 1980s and 1990s

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Even before Christmas you'd have had change from that £20 - The annuals were buy one get another for £1, and Beano and Dandy books therefore work out £9 for the two. The Viz book is RRP £10.99. That's 2p change, which isn't a lot - but I bet they're reduced now (if they're not, you may as well wait). Even if the Viz book is still full price (as it might be in the humour section and not annuals), you'll probably still have a fiver left over (based on the DCT annuals being down to £2). Anything else you might fancy?
stevezodiac wrote:I got a Dennis the Menace mug.
Would that be the same one I got, with the 70s Beano logo on one side, Dennis and Gnasher on the other, and a sachet of hot chocolate with it?
SID wrote:
Digifiend wrote:Well, my prediction was wide of the mark, wasn't it? Most of the post-2010 characters never made it to the annual and the last two have been full on nostalgia mode.
But it is still going and IMO better than ever. Interesting to see that there are no Bananaman strip though he appears in the inside front covers. I guess he has fully embraced the dark side that is The Beano.
Hey, I wasn't complaining, just laughing at my own bad predictions. But then, we didn't know at the time that the comic was about to be axed. And yeah, I guess Ken Harrison drew those endpapers before they decided to only use Bananaman in the Beano annual, and drew the covers after that decision was made.

SID

Post by SID »

Nor did I think you were complaining, Digi. :).

Just reading Marvel Comics The Untold Story written by Sean Howe. An interesting book.
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy »

Digifiend wrote:Even before Christmas you'd have had change from that £20 - The annuals were buy one get another for £1, and Beano and Dandy books therefore work out £9 for the two. The Viz book is RRP £10.99. That's 2p change, which isn't a lot - but I bet they're reduced now (if they're not, you may as well wait). Even if the Viz book is still full price (as it might be in the humour section and not annuals), you'll probably still have a fiver left over (based on the DCT annuals being down to £2). Anything else you might fancy?
Awesome, good to know :D

Well, probably that Dandy/Beano compilation thing, or the Broons? Maybe even the Daily Mash book.
http://twoheadedthingies.blogspot.co.uk/ - My comics blog, mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 1980s and 1990s

Stingray

Post by Stingray »

Comic based things found under the tree:

Woodwork:Art of Wallace Wood 1927-1981
Art of Herge (1950-1983)
History of 2000AD - Thrill-power Overload (a compact little book)
and a friend bought me some Dandy assorted fudge. Crikey, that's a sugar hit and a half!

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy »

Stingray wrote:Comic based things found under the tree:

Woodwork:Art of Wallace Wood 1927-1981
Sounds good, I'll be on the lookout for that one :D

Richard S.

Post by Richard S. »

Grandville - Noel. By Bryan Talbot
Thrud the barbarian collected comics (from Titan)

Quite different books then but enjoying them both very much.
my blog: http://boysadventurecomics.blogspot.co.uk/
facebook: Richard Sheaf
facebook group: Boys adventure comic blog
Twitter: @richardandsheaf
Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/BoysAdventureComics/

SID

Post by SID »

Late Christmas present.

The Adventures of Tintin - Explorers of the Moon.

starscape

Post by starscape »

Hotspur, Battle, Beezer and Whizzer & Chips annuals for me, plus a mug full of classic Marvel scenes.
STARSCAPE Comic
http://facebook.com/Starscape-Comic-108831387707862/
comics, cartoons, music & movies

SID

Post by SID »

Merry Christmas, Everyone! :cheers:

I got the following for Christmas:

Fleetway Picture Library Classics - Jet-Ace Logan (Didn't realise that it was a Treasury of British Comics title)
The Beano and The Dandy - 1937-1988 Classic Comic Covers
The Incredible Adventures of Janus Stark
Classic Beano & The Dandy - Chortle with Chums!

...plus Amazon vouchers for future Rebellion purchases.

Brilliant. :D