Index of Hotspur/ Rover/ Champion annuals/books?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

patpending

Index of Hotspur/ Rover/ Champion annuals/books?

Post by patpending »

I am drawing up an index of which DC Thomson and AP "annuals" my dad has - Hotspur/ Wizard/ Rover and Champion / Adventure Land etc.

I recall a 1970s index by Robert Adley and Bill Lofts describing the covers, as these books tend not to have a date.

In these days of pretty photos I found this:

http://www.stellabooks.com/informations ... onhome.php

Any further ideas?

I also think my dad has most of the novels by Percy F Westerman and am guessing that the wikipedia list is fairly accurate...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Percy_F._W ... bliography

Any pointers?

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Re: Index of Hotspur/ Rover/ Champion annuals/books?

Post by steelclaw »

Have a look in the Annual/Book section that our mighty leader Al. has set up over the years.
http://www.comicsuk.co.uk/Annuals/AnnualWhole.asp

patpending

Post by patpending »

steelclaw wrote:Have a look in the Annual/Book section that our mighty leader Al. has set up over the years.
http://www.comicsuk.co.uk/Annuals/AnnualWhole.asp
Thanks. I did do a search first but didn't find that.

I've now catalogued 65 different Westermans but I'm not halfway through, which suggests most of the novels are here - I then have to look up John F.C. Westerman!

patpending

Post by patpending »

Well I have all the Percy F Westermans except for about ten.

What a link - I was getting ready to look up

"Adventure Land" boy in red shirt on desert island by signal fire

and

"Adventure Land" boy in red shirt with wolf in front of setting sun

and the magic of the interrent tells me 1924 and 1925 by photo means!

So much easier than the Lofts/Adley route! THANKS!

EDIT is this the right place to ask about the year of the annual? I note there is one year missing in the set of Adventure Lands (as in one year no annual was issued)

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

patpending wrote:What a link - I was getting ready to look up "Adventure Land" boy in red shirt on desert island by signal fire and "Adventure Land" boy in red shirt with wolf in front of setting sun and the magic of the interrent tells me 1924 and 1925 by photo means! So much easier than the Lofts/Adley route! THANKS!
Although Bill Lofts and Derek Adley didn't provide any photographs or scans in their 1975 Identification Guide to the D.C. Thomson and John Leng Children's Annuals 1921-1965, nor in their Revised Edition, published in 1986 by Yesterday's Paper, and there were not even very many b/w photocopies in the 1990 reprint produced by A & B Whitworth under their own CJ Publications banner, the authors' descriptions of the covers are sufficiently informative to allow us to date the annuals accurately. Although the AdventureLand page on this site's Annuals Section provides some cover scans, some of the accompanying information is wrong. The one marked 1927 is actually 1926, the one labelled 1928 is actually 1927, and the one given as 1936 is actually the 1934 annual. This is not Al's fault, of course, as he relies on those members who submit the covers to provide him with accurate information about them. There were 18 AdventureLand annuals in all, produced at the rate of one per year between 1924 and 1941, which means that there are 8 covers still to be displayed.

patpending

Post by patpending »

Phoenix wrote:
patpending wrote:What a link - I was getting ready to look up "Adventure Land" boy in red shirt on desert island by signal fire and "Adventure Land" boy in red shirt with wolf in front of setting sun and the magic of the interrent tells me 1924 and 1925 by photo means! So much easier than the Lofts/Adley route! THANKS!
Although Bill Lofts and Derek Adley didn't provide any photographs or scans in their 1975 Identification Guide to the D.C. Thomson and John Leng Children's Annuals 1921-1965, nor in their Revised Edition, published in 1986 by Yesterday's Paper, and there were not even very many b/w photocopies in the 1990 reprint produced by A & B Whitworth under their own CJ Publications banner, the authors' descriptions of the covers are sufficiently informative to allow us to date the annuals accurately. Although the AdventureLand page on this site's Annuals Section provides some cover scans, some of the accompanying information is wrong. The one marked 1927 is actually 1926, the one labelled 1928 is actually 1927, and the one given as 1936 is actually the 1934 annual. This is not Al's fault, of course, as he relies on those members who submit the covers to provide him with accurate information about them. There were 18 AdventureLand annuals in all, produced at the rate of one per year between 1924 and 1941, which means that there are 8 covers still to be displayed.
Thank you very, very much. Re-reading what I wrote sounds as though dating these annuals would be possible without the sterling work of Lofts and Adley, which is not what I meant, I know my dad speaks very warmly of the time he met Bill Lofts. What I meant was seeing the covers in colour! I have only seen the 1975 book which my dad was overjoyed to get, but I remember how hard it was to date the 1959 Rover annual without a picture...

Now I know why the copy of the Adventure Land you have as "1927" is marked 1926 inside, and the "1928" one 1927...

Thank you. I'll let you know if I find any you don't have...

EDIT I have 20 including duplicates so I have just found the first cover you don't have...

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

patpending wrote:Now I know why the copy of the Adventure Land you have as "1927" is marked 1926 inside, and the "1928" one 1927...

Thank you. I'll let you know if I find any you don't have...

EDIT I have 20 including duplicates so I have just found the first cover you don't have...
Can I correct an assumption you appear to be making here, PP. I am personally in no way responsible for or connected with any of the displays in the pictorial library section of the forum. If in the future you want to contribute any of the missing annual covers, you should first contact Al, the guy who set up the forum and who runs it on a day to day basis, and he will no doubt explain to you exactly how to go about it.

The real reason any undated Thomson annual might have the previous year's date inside it, perhaps an indication that it was a Christmas present from Auntie Freda for example, is simply because it was published during that previous year, usually around September time. The reason these annuals were undated in the first place was to give them a much longer shelf life in the shops.

patpending

Post by patpending »

Phoenix wrote:Can I correct an assumption you appear to be making here, PP. I am personally in no way responsible for or connected with any of the displays in the pictorial library section of the forum. If in the future you want to contribute any of the missing annual covers, you should first contact Al, the guy who set up the forum and who runs it on a day to day basis, and he will no doubt explain to you exactly how to go about it.
Thanks Phoenix, I am saying thank you for directing me to Al's work, not giving you credit for doing it lol! I am in contact with Al having spent all day scanning Thomson covers - a colour scanner might be made for it!
The real reason any undated Thomson annual might have the previous year's date inside it, perhaps an indication that it was a Christmas present from Auntie Freda for example, is simply because it was published during that previous year, usually around September time. The reason these annuals were undated in the first place was to give them a much longer shelf life in the shops.
Agreed. how thankful I am to little Frederick for putting his name in the book!

See also your PMs...