Broons/Oor Wullie 75 next week.

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

stevezodiac

Broons/Oor Wullie 75 next week.

Post by stevezodiac »

Today's Sunday Post has an article on the Broons and Oor Wullie's 75th Birthday 16 page special given away with next Sunday's issue.

Digifiend

Re: Broons/Oor Wullie 75 next week.

Post by Digifiend »

A banned strip? I wonder why?

The Nazi hit list thing is old news.

Struggled to continue? I can imagine how hard it must've been to find new artists for all of Dudley Watkins' strips after he died. Besides The Broons and Oor Wullie, he was also drawing Biffo the Bear, Desperate Dan, Ginger, and Mickey the Monkey. Dan ended up as reprints, which shows how hard Watkins was to replace.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Digifiend wrote:A banned strip? I wonder why?

Struggled to continue? I can imagine how hard it must've been to find new artists for all of Dudley Watkins' strips after he died. Besides The Broons and Oor Wullie, he was also drawing Biffo the Bear, Desperate Dan, Ginger, and Mickey the Monkey. Dan ended up as reprints, which shows how hard Watkins was to replace.
The Broons and Oor Wullie were also reprinted for quite some time too.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I bought the latest Oor Wullie book from ebay last week. For the first year since I started buying the books in 1974 I couldn't find a copy in London (Although Smiths did have the 2011 archive volume).

STARBOY

Post by STARBOY »

Sounds an interesting article must remember to pick it up - The Nazi thing is only old news to folk that are into comics & I only heard that on this site - Oor Wullie & the Broons have legions of fans that are only into the paper strips so it will be new to them.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

stevezodiac wrote:I bought the latest Oor Wullie book from ebay last week. For the first year since I started buying the books in 1974 I couldn't find a copy in London (Although Smiths did have the 2011 archive volume).
Did they think there was no demand that far south or what?

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

Lew Stringer wrote:
Digifiend wrote:A banned strip? I wonder why?

The Broons and Oor Wullie were also reprinted for quite some time too.
Oor Wullie and the Broons were reprinted from Sept 1969 to Sept 1974 when Tom Lavery took over both. Other artists who followed were John Polland, Robert Nixon (Wullie), Ken Harrison and Peter Davidson. Of all the strips that Watkins drew his output on Wullie and the Broons was given top priority and work on all of his other strips was considered secondary to their production each week.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

According to the Met Office Scotland is due for heavy snow and gales from tomorrow until the weekend - I hope the Sunday Post doesn't have its distribution to London affected this week of all weeks.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

I'm sure you can order it as a back issue if you can't find it in the shops.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I e-mailed the Sunday Post distribution section and was informed the the paper is also printed in London so no problems. I'll pick up three or four copies as it is a one off special. My mate Steve wants a copy too but he lives in the sticks so i'll pick one up for him.

steven

Post by steven »

stevezodiac wrote:According to the Met Office Scotland is due for heavy snow and gales from tomorrow until the weekend - I hope the Sunday Post doesn't have its distribution to London affected this week of all weeks.
or if the Queen died on the Saturday? :shock:

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

:shhh: If that happened, God forbid, they'd probably still run the Broons/Oor Wullie feature, but about half of the news pages would be devoted to Elizabeth II.

STARBOY

Post by STARBOY »

I wouldn't worry about the weather, it's awful but West Central Scotland (Glasgow area) isn't that bad (baltic though) nothing like earlier in the year when Motorways, rail, air travel etc were off.

STARBOY

Post by STARBOY »

Typical just heard there may be 10 inches of snow at the weekend!! so maybe the "Post" won't get through - never known weather like this.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

As Sreve said, it's printed in London as well. Weather shouldn't stop it getting through.