Should auld acquaintance be forgot

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

philcom55

Should auld acquaintance be forgot

Post by philcom55 »

Bearing in mind the SNP's remarkable victory yesterday I was just wondering if we'll still be able to discuss Dandy and Beano here on Comics UK after Scotland becomes independant? :roll:

- Phil Rushton

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Re: Should auld acquaintance be forgot

Post by felneymike »

We'll have to pay import taxes! And they might start writing it in Scottish :lol:

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

The Broons and Oor Wullie were written in Scottish [well, Scottish slang, anyway, and apparantly they done quite well!]

The first I knew of the result was seeing it on telly in the pub today......as a Scot, it means roughly the same as the day when I became a house-owner: I woke up one morning after a 'big change' but basically everything seems much the same as it did yesterday.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Well, the BBC might need a new name (and so might this site!)... Britain (and the UK) will no longer exist if Scotland goes independent. Seriously though, I doubt the media will be affected in any way. Both the BBC and ITV have plenty of opt-out programmes in Scotland anyway, and the newspapers have Scottish editions. For Beano and Dandy, business as usual. Except for an extra cover price if Scotland gets its own currency or joins the Euro.

grumpy old man

Post by grumpy old man »

Why will Britain & the UK not exist? Scotland is just one part of it.

STARBOY

Post by STARBOY »

I'm an SNP voter and I can assure you most Scots (sadly imho) do not want Independence but rather want more devolved government - Independence may happen one day but not for a few years yet - most Scots (myself included ) are proud to be Scots AND British (in that order mostly) I wouldn't worry (unless you want us gone asap that is LOL) - The Scots are very canny tactical voters (as can be seen here and when Thatcher was in power) this vote is for the devolved government its nothing to do with the UK vote, (at the National UK election I imagine Labour will be top dog here ) Labour in Scotland took the UK and Scots gov votes for granted and that coupled with the SNP doing a really good job balancing the books at Holyrood and having by far the best ministers there was always going to be a massive sea change - The Dandy , Beano etc will always be available no matter what happens and as stated the UK is not just England and Scotland. Was fun to hear Kelvin McKenzies anti Scottish outburst on TV (poor soul with such a Scottish name as well lol) was really good entertainment I think that shows how things have changed up here, 10 years ago there would have been outrage here on that, now it was a laugh and "who is that numpty" comments - Anyway Oor Wullie for First minister

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

Is the Scottish parliament still "no' paid fer yet", as was suggested in a Young Middenface strip a while back? XD

Jon

Post by Jon »

STARBOY wrote:Anyway Oor Wullie for First minister
:up:

Captain Storm

Post by Captain Storm »

Wow , this certainly is news! For what it's worth , I've always considered Scotland a country in its own right. A rich heritage coupled with a distinctive culture and language , I wish them all the best in attaining independence and joining the world as a separate political entity. Looks like Mel Gibson's dream is gonna come true! Sean Connery for president , anyone?!!

sincerely,

The Cap.

p.s. The "British" tag always jarred with me. A made up term to encompass 4 different countries and cultures. You can't be one and the other at the same time. Freedom for all , I say. Now back to our scheduled programme.... :settee:

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

grumpy old man wrote:Why will Britain & the UK not exist? Scotland is just one part of it.
Read your history books. Great Britain didn't exist until 1707, when the Scottish and English monarchies merged (they'd had the same monarch for over 100 years at that point). No Scotland = No Britain. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingdom_of_Great_Britain

swirlythingy

Post by swirlythingy »

Captain Storm wrote:p.s. The "British" tag always jarred with me. A made up term to encompass 4 different countries and cultures. You can't be one and the other at the same time. Freedom for all , I say.
Speak for yourself. Personally, I don't relish the prospect of having to show a passport and have my baggage searched every time I board an East Coast train. Has any given any serious thought to just how awkward and expensive closing off the entire border after 300 years of development would be for everyone? David Cameron is no Emperor Hadrian...
Help! Help! We're being held prisoner in a signature factory!

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

I think you'll all find that, although a majority up here voted SNP, there is no real appetite for independence. It's just that the SNP did a no' bad job at running things for 4 years and Labour ran a useless, negative, unimaginative campaign.
As for showing passsports, etc., independence in Europe, should it ever come to pass, wont make all that stuff necessary and passport controls and the like wont come about. You don't have to show your passport going from France to Italy, Netherlands to Belgium, Spain to France (well, unless the basques are on the warpath).
Scotland is a different country, not only in culture and heritage but we have a different legal system, education system and our health service is controlled locally.
For anyone who's interested, I consider myself Scottish, then British, then European. (Taking into account, but not solely because of, Scotland's long historical relationship with France)
Obviously, I can't be English, anymore than I could be Spanish. Let's all get on with it and see what happens, that's what democracy is about - and try to avoid the mad rantings of the likes of Kelvin McKenzie.
Michty me, yes, Oor Wullie for P.M.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

No appetite for independence? Luckily, I think a referendum will decide that once and for all, just like we had this week for AV, which got turned down 2 to 1.

chrissmillie

Post by chrissmillie »

The SNP have done an excellent job of running Scotland. As a number of people have said, it was a vote for the Scottish Parliament, not independence. If there's a referendum on independence or not, then it'll be a close run thing. If there's a further question about more devolved powers but within the Union, no contest. Easily the most popular route.
STARSCAPE
http://www.StarscapeComic.co.uk
Classic British reprints and all-new comics

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

Bang on!