Lets give Lew a better send off...leave your kind words here

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Peter Gray

Lets give Lew a better send off...leave your kind words here

Post by Peter Gray »

Lew Stringer thank you first for your blog and its free! I love the many different eras you cover making us all remember The Dandy didn't start it..
I also love your thoughts on your era as a kid of the 60's..its seems another world away to me But brought wonderfully to life by you..

With Specky Hector in Buster you always wanted to share comic history..your blog would make a amazing volumes if printed..

I would also like to thank you for your time in sharing on here and on your blog..

I love the imagination in Tom Thug..e.g love the Thunderbullies (thunderbirds)episode of 1992
I often look at my original of Tom Thug and admire your careful drawing and paint work and how neat you are:)

Hopefully one day I'll get to Bristol and meet you and shake you by the hand..
:cheers: and have a Guiness..

Keep reading here...
I'll look out for you on your blog and in The Beano and The Dandy..

Jonny Whizz

Re: Lets give Lew a better send off...leave your kind words

Post by Jonny Whizz »

Thanks Lew for your excellent blog, you have put up a lot of very interesting stuff on there including pencil drawings of your own strips and information about some of the revamps the Beano has gone through.

I've really enjoyed seeing your artwork as well, particularly Super School in the Beano, but I also liked your takes on Fred's Bed and Ivy, plus I have been fortunate enough to see probably your best creation, Tom Thug, via this forum and other websites.

I remember in the first thread I started on here there was a mix up where I said that Barrie Appleby drew Billy Whizz in the 70th birthday issue of the Beano, but someone else said it was you, before you confirmed that you didn't draw him in that issue. Thinking back to that brings me fond memories of when I first joined this great forum.

Thank you Lew, it was a priviledge to be able to interact with you on here.
'Michael Owen isn't the tallest of players, but his height more than makes up for it' - Mark Lawrenson

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

thanks lew for your very informative blog,replying to loads of my questions/topics.& for one of my favourite stories as a kid in tom thug.hope to see you on here again soon after a well earned break :cheers:

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

I have got to say thank you to Lew for his informative and lucid posts. Lew has contributed much to the forum over many years and his love and knowledge of comics shines through.

I think it is an indication of how good this site can be when we have professionals involved in the production of comics coming on and giving us the benefit of their time working behind the scenes and giving us a glimpse into the backroom.

I hope Lew doesn't make his departure permanent, but as life changes, we all change. So I will say thanks for all of his input but not goodbye. :xfingers:
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

STARBOY

Post by STARBOY »

Lew is a cool guy (short and to the point lol) Im sure he will be back if not I'll be reading his excellent Blog.

Niblet

Post by Niblet »

Thanks for answering the various questions I posted here, Lew. :up:

dishes

Post by dishes »

Lew is an excellent person, debater, cartoonist, and knowledgeable source. He has enhanced this forum incalculably. Life's too short to require anyone's participation in any particular internet site, when we have our life's work to achieve, but I heartily echo what everyone else has said already.
Is it weird to have no interest in keeping or collecting free gifts?

My artwork: http://www.iancockburn.co.uk

wilsia

Post by wilsia »

Firstly Nice touch Peter to think of doing this.

Lew it was great having you on board for your knowledge, experience and insight.

The forum is not the same without you so come back soon.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

In the words of Goofy "Gawsh!" :) :oops:

Thanks folks. That's kind and very much appreciated. I may still drop by occasionally if there's anything I think might be useful to add to a topic. (After all, why should I let a few bitter people drive me off?)
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

wilsia

Post by wilsia »

Thats the spirit Lew and keep up the good work on the blog, its always a great read.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Lew Stringer wrote:In the words of Goofy "Gawsh!" :) :oops:
That's only one word. :D Welcome back, nevertheless. As we have become well aware recently, Lew, there are some members that this forum can do without. You are quite clearly not one of them, and while you are perfectly entitled to walk away, please let it only be because of pressures of work, or family issues needing your attention. I am far from the only one who would miss your informed and perceptive input. I also want steelclaw back. I really can't imagine why he got his knickers in a twist. I miss his sarcasm and zany humour. Come on, steelclaw, bring your bat, ball and wickets back, and let's get on with the game.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

...In the words of Mickey Mouse "That sure is swell!" :)

- Phil Rushton

toxteth o'grady

Post by toxteth o'grady »

Lew Stringer wrote:After all, why should I let a few bitter people drive me off?
Exactly, Lew - nice to have you back.
I am a fan and was dead chuffed when you commented on my 'Buzz' comic site with the words "Great website!" Coming from someone who works in the biz, that was a great compliment. Keep up the good work - you're a legend.

Now, if we could only entice Kashgar to grace these pages again ...

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

In the short time I've been a member here, I've been entertained and educated by Lew, both here and on his blog. I'll miss his input.

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

Oh Boy has Mickey would say...Oh Boy..

:D