Free Dandy in The Sunday Post

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Lew Stringer

Free Dandy in The Sunday Post

Post by Lew Stringer »

I hear that tomorrow's edition of The Sunday Post (17th July) will feature a free special edition of The Dandy! (All current material, - presumably compiled from pages from recent issues.)

This freebie only applies to readers in Scotland (unfortunately for those of us South of the border) but that's still a lot of readers, - and potential new readers to buy the Dandy in the future!
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Re: Free Dandy in The Sunday Post

Post by felneymike »

And it might remind people who read it as children that actually it still exists, and that they can get it for their children! They ought to repeat it nationally if it works well enough.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

They picked a good week for this, since they won't be competing with the News of the World any more.
Last edited by Digifiend on 17 Jul 2011, 16:56, edited 2 times in total.

swirlythingy

Post by swirlythingy »

If somebody gets this, can they see if the barcode has been replaced with "promotional copy"?
Help! Help! We're being held prisoner in a signature factory!

STARBOY

Post by STARBOY »

Probably more importantly its a good week for this as its the Glasgow Fair holiday weekend so lots of folk out for the weekend kids to amuse etc,, might pick up a copy if I see it (neither a Dandy or a Sunday Post fan but could be a good read and it has one of my childhood favs in Oor Wullie in it also lol)

starscape

Post by starscape »

Got a copy and I'm in Nottingham, so it's not just good ol'Ecosse.
STARSCAPE Comic
http://facebook.com/Starscape-Comic-108831387707862/
comics, cartoons, music & movies

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

starscape wrote:Got a copy and I'm in Nottingham, so it's not just good ol'Ecosse.
Yes, I've just bought one too, so it must be across the UK! :up:
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

swirlythingy wrote:If somebody gets this, can they see if the barcode has been replaced with "promotional copy"?
It's not a random back issue, it's more of a "best of" selection (32 pages, so it's the same size as a standard issue). The cover actually uses the Facebook and Twitter version of the logo instead of the usual masthead, which is a good thing, since the cover illustration is the same as this week's regular issue!

Among the strips featured, last week's debut episode of Tiny's Temper gets it's third printing in less than two weeks!

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I got mine at Waterloo Station. Luckily there was a comic fair at Bloomsbury otherwise I wouldn't have gone to Waterloo which is on the way. I didn't buy any comics at the fair just some DVD box sets including first series of Car 54 Where Are You? Also got a "home made" dvd featuring hundreds of 60s and 70s UK tv ads so I'll look to see if there are any comic ads.

STARBOY

Post by STARBOY »

Is it just me or is the "Dandy mince not impressed and the 30 -40 editions spread over Glasgow central were not a good sign sorry - nice illos rotten humour - lets see how sales improve or stay static ( i reckon the altter zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz)

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

STARBOY wrote:Is it just me or is the "Dandy mince not impressed and the 30 -40 editions spread over Glasgow central were not a good sign sorry - nice illos rotten humour - lets see how sales improve or stay static ( i reckon the altter zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz)
Any chance of a translation into English of this post, Starboy? Don't rush, when you've sobered up will be soon enough. :D

PaulTwist

Post by PaulTwist »

I only noticed this because I popped into the newsagents' to see if they had the latest Mad (which they did - yay!) and they'd stacked the free copies of The Dandy next to it! This was late afternoon and there were clearly more copies of The Dandy left than Sunday Posts - and the reaction of the shopkeeper suggested that no-one else had picked their Dandy up. Shame.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Pfft, they should just stick a £1.50 price sticker on those extra copies and sell them separately. 40p more than the Sunday Post costs, but since a normal Dandy is that price and this issue has the usual page count... why were they on the counter anyway? My shop had them inside the paper, like the magazines you get with most of the other weekend newspapers.

...of course, truth is those excess copies will just go back to DCT and be made available as "If you didn't have it in today's paper, please call (telephone number) or email us at (email address) and we'll send it to you".

Of course, this assumes that those weren't just this week's regular issue you saw.

PaulTwist

Post by PaulTwist »

Nah, they don't stock the Dandy or Beano normally - they were definitely the free issues, and in the "adult comics" shelf that Mad and Poot occupy. Strangely, they stock few kids comics and don't seem to sell Viz, but they have a large range of other comics (all the Panini Marvel reprints, Titan DC reprints, Heavy Metal, Mad etc) and an impressive range of magazines, including US imports like Fangoria and AP.

STARBOY

Post by STARBOY »

LOL oh apologies for that I was out for a few drinks for the fair holiday - been on the wagon since January so over did it a wee bit - again please accept my apologies :oops: I meant to say in amongst my gibbering I noticed about 20 copies of the Dandy discarded in Glasgow central station it didn't seem to go down to well with some folk - I'm away to lie down !