Pop groups advertising comics.

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Digifiend

Re: Pop groups advertising comics.

Post by Digifiend »

Competitions are usually only open to UK residents anyway.

STARBOY

Post by STARBOY »

Concerning the overseas prices I always found it strange that Malta was on the list (for so long) all the others I understand as ex colonies and with massive UK expat populations (New Zealand etc). Older versions of Buster and others had even more countries noted (18 in this case) inc Denmark, Portugal Germany Spain and Suomi ( which is Finnish for Finland ) - I took this list from from a Feb 69 editions so not an obvious holiday editions for UK holiday makers - Newsagents overseas must have had great eyesight in the 60s as the print was tinyRe pop stars Im pretty sure almost every edition -. The early Odhams WHAM comic had a pop star (or TV/FILM star) in it as shown on previous posts on this thread

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Of course early issues of 2000AD were sold throughout the Solar System as well - at least until the bottom dropped out of the Galactic Groat when Saturn spectacularly defaulted on its massive debt to the Interplanetary Monetary Fund. Thank goodness Earth itself had the foresight to stay out of the Groat Zone! :)

- Phil Rushton

STARBOY

Post by STARBOY »

lol good one I forgot about 2000AD doing that

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

But surely even the first issues would still be travelling to Pluto now?

matrix

Post by matrix »

Sorry to revive such an old post, but the comic i have a question about was shown on here by Jon, being the Beano on the blues breakers album.

The comic is now on ebay with five bids, in poor condition, with about eight days to go, for 52 pounds :shock:

My question, is this comic rare? Has that price been paid before, and does that happen to other comics that are advertised in this way? Anyone. Thanks.

Jon

Post by Jon »

I've seen it go for quite a lot before. I think it appeals to Eric Clapton collectors more than it does to comic collectors. I think to most comic collectors, a Beano from 1966 in poor condition isn't worth £50, despite its musical connections. Whereas to Clapton collectors, the fact it's THE Beano featured on his album cover makes it worth more to them. Just my thoughts on the matter.

matrix

Post by matrix »

Thanks for the quick reply Jon, i didnt think of it that way round i was only thinking from a comics point of view, thats comic tunnel vision for you!

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

You have to be careful when you assert that it is THE Beano from the album cover as opposed to just being the same issue. Maybe the buyers think the former is the case.

Just checked and the auction states: "this is the copy of the Beano being held by the guitarist on the cover of the Blues Breakers album." so could indeed be misleading.

I could have a go myself "This is the same cigarette that Bogart smoked in the Maltese Falcon movie" Yes its a Marlboro.

matrix

Post by matrix »

stevezodiac wrote:You have to be careful when you assert that it is THE Beano from the album cover as opposed to just being the same issue. Maybe the buyers think the former is the case.

Just checked and the auction states: "this is the copy of the Beano being held by the guitarist on the cover of the Blues Breakers album." so could indeed be misleading.

I could have a go myself "This is the same cigarette that Bogart smoked in the Maltese Falcon movie" Yes its a Marlboro.
The point you raise Steve is a good one having just read it properly myself agree it could be misleading.

If i was bidding on what i thought was the original comic from the album myself, i would at least expect it to be framed and have a certificate of Authenticity, if so would expect the price to be a lot higher. It is also described as "one of several special issue 1960s Beano comics in our current auction" being in the same category in this case as the "Christmas issues" not a major special on its own.

Give it a go Steve, im sure someone would bid for the cigarette! :lol:

matrix

Post by matrix »

It's taken two years to answer Digi's question "were Mud reading about themselves", and the answer is NO they were not, not in that issue anyway.
Attachments
Tammy.jpg