Watchmen DVD?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Anorak783

Watchmen DVD?

Post by Anorak783 »

I know this is primarily a UK comics forum, but I saw the first half-hour or so of the Watchmen movie on Film 4 last night, which I enjoyed when it was released.

Was a UK DVD ever released which included the Director's cut AND The Tales of The Black Frieghter segments edited into it as one long narrative, or is that version still only available in the USA?

Digifiend

Re: Watchmen DVD?

Post by Digifiend »

Apparently the Ultimate Cut was only released in the US. The reason is that in America, WB are the distributor, but here, it's Paramount.

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

What was the total running time of that ultimate version? It must have been four hours or more!

Stuart V

Post by Stuart V »

215 minutes.

starscape

Post by starscape »

Stuart V as in Loki?
STARSCAPE Comic
http://facebook.com/Starscape-Comic-108831387707862/
comics, cartoons, music & movies

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

I should be possible to buy the ultimate version from US Amazon and so on. Customs ought not to hang on to it as it is a film that has been classified in this country (though in my horror collecting days a company slipped a totally uncut version of Cannibal Holocaust under the radar by putting it in a big box labelled "software" XD).

As for region-locking, well you'd be surprised how many things cheap DVD players can play. Region-locking stuff is apparently expensive, so they just leave it out to keep the costs down.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I bought a Bush TV/DVD combi at Christmas and it plays my region 1 dvds as well as region 2 - happy with that. Picked up seasons 1 and 2 of Land of the Giants from HMV today, £20 each reduced from £45 each. Deanna Lund - sigh! Plus Ip Man 2. My mate keeps recommending Watchmen - I watched a bit of it last time it was on but lost interest.

Anorak783

Post by Anorak783 »

Thanks for the advice, everyone.

The Ultimate Cut can be bought from Amazon UK for £11.00 + £1.85 postage (from USA). I have a region 1 player and as it seems this version won't make it to the UK I might just give it a punt.

Started re-reading the comics too - for the first time in about 20 years.

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

For those who don't read Alter Ego, this month's issue has an excellent article on Dick Giordano and his time at Charlton. Parts of the article refer to the Charlton characters which Moore mutated into Watchmen. Worth a read.