What theme would you like Dandy and Beano book ..cover next?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Peter Gray

What theme would you like Dandy and Beano book ..cover next?

Post by Peter Gray »

I would like an artist theme
celebrating lots of different artists of The Beano and Dandy..
Crazy about creatures touvhed on this..also classics interviewing artists..

also I would love to see more from the 40's..

swirlythingy

Re: What theme would you like Dandy and Beano book ..cover n

Post by swirlythingy »

We've had the 40s, the 50s, the 60s, the 70s and the 80s, so it only makes sense to have the 90s as well - or even the 2000s. I'd also like the 80s to be covered in more detail, as the Heroes book was very poor next to the other decade-themed books, being mostly comprised of full-size annual reprints.

I'd also like to see a book focusing on DC Thomson's other humour comics - perhaps with special reference to the characters like Cuddles, Bananaman and the Numskulls which were later absorbed into the Beano and/or Dandy, so it could be sold to the same audience.

I'd also like a compilation of every Jonah strip Ken Reid ever drew. Because, y'know, who wouldn't?
Help! Help! We're being held prisoner in a signature factory!

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

I really enjoyed the season themes like christmas..maybe another book on this..

cops and robbers theme..with Banana Bunch chased by the police...Baby-face..L cars..etc..

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

I would love to see another winter/christmas theme as snow based stories have always been a fav of mine & like swirly i would love to see every ken reid jonah strip book also more 50s & 60s strips but no more text stories,as i always seem to skip most of them.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy »

swirlythingy wrote:We've had the 40s, the 50s, the 60s, the 70s and the 80s, so it only makes sense to have the 90s as well - or even the 2000s. I'd also like the 80s to be covered in more detail, as the Heroes book was very poor next to the other decade-themed books, being mostly comprised of full-size annual reprints.

I'd also like to see a book focusing on DC Thomson's other humour comics - perhaps with special reference to the characters like Cuddles, Bananaman and the Numskulls which were later absorbed into the Beano and/or Dandy, so it could be sold to the same audience.

I'd also like a compilation of every Jonah strip Ken Reid ever drew. Because, y'know, who wouldn't?
Everything I was thinking in response to the question, you've already said :lol:
http://twoheadedthingies.blogspot.co.uk/ - My comics blog, mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 1980s and 1990s

Jonny Whizz

Post by Jonny Whizz »

I couldn't agree more about a 1990s Beano and Dandy book, swirly. Many of the comics' current readers were not even born then, and I think it is old enough now to be considered classic.

In a strange way I probably know less about the early-to-mid 1990s Beano than I do about any other era since the 1950s, as fewer of the strips have been reprinted (some have appeared in the comic, but that's a relatively small number compared to the number of strips that have been reprinted from earlier decades in Classics from the Comics). Also, in the History of the Beano, where earlier decades had shown numerous comic strips, a lot of the 1990s pages were devoted to non-comic content, such as the Beano Club and merchandising - while the introduction of The Numskulls from the Beezer was ignored, for example.
'Michael Owen isn't the tallest of players, but his height more than makes up for it' - Mark Lawrenson

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy »

The Beano was my LIFE in the 1990s, and there's tons that could be covered in a 1990s edition - highlights including the introduction of the Numskulls as you mentioned there, as well as:
-The Bash Street Kids and their controversial PC-makeover publicity stunt;
-The first full-colour Beano;
-The April Fools Day joke which had Dennis leaving to join the Dandy;
-The birth of Bea, Dennis's sister (not what I'd call a highlight, can't stand the girl myself! But still "noteable")
http://twoheadedthingies.blogspot.co.uk/ - My comics blog, mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 1980s and 1990s

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

The Dandy's first full colour issue presumably also happened at around the same time as the Beano's (I'd guess that said issue would be Blinky and Beryl the Peril's Dandy debuts).

I do agree that other comics besides just Beano and Dandy should be covered.

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

I can't see them doing the 1990s yet - considering how long it took to do the 1980s! Still, you never know with Morris...

swirlythingy

Post by swirlythingy »

AndyB wrote:I can't see them doing the 1990s yet - considering how long it took to do the 1980s! Still, you never know with Morris...
I don't think any of my suggestions are going to happen either - but hey, the question was, "What would you like to see?"
Help! Help! We're being held prisoner in a signature factory!

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy »

Well, on a purely "wishful thinking" level, I'd like to see an index of EVERY free gift ever given away, from the insignificant lollipops to the significant Billy Whizzer (smelly rubber frisbee thing).

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

I think those books are for the nostalgia market so the 1990s and 2000s may be too recent yet.

I'll second the suggestion for a Jonah book though, shot straight from the comics without any digital recolouring if the original art isn't available. People have been wanting this for years but the big question as ever is: are there enough fans willing to buy it?
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy »

Well Jonah's mentioned in that 1001 Comics You Must Read Before You Die book, so maybe?

Old Freddy

Post by Old Freddy »

Digifiend wrote:The Dandy's first full colour issue presumably also happened at around the same time as the Beano's (I'd guess that said issue would be Blinky and Beryl the Peril's Dandy debuts).

I do agree that other comics besides just Beano and Dandy should be covered.
I'm not good with issue numbers, but the first full colour Dandy was about a month before the Beano's (It occured on the 18th September issue). Beryl the Peril had appeared in the Dandy since around July-ish (Same with Peter Piper) and Blinky appeared in January 1994. The first full colour issue saw Jonah's first Dandy appearence, the debut of Carrot (A spin off of Cuddles and Dimples) and Potsworth and Co. moved from the Topper. The following issue saw the Debut of Rasper.

I'd like them to go back to adding Beezer and Topper (And perhaps even further territory, like Sparky, Cracker, Buzz, Nutty, etc.) characters in the Golden Years books. It worked fine in the early 90's when they tried this out.

Consider me a member of the "I'd like to see a 90's golden years book" club. It may be a bit too recent, but if the 80's one (don't have it, myself) consists mainly of annual strips, they could have the 80's and 90's in one book, perhaps? I think I'd rather wait a couple of years for a 90's book than merge the two decades, because then I'd get to see more of my favourite era (1998/99) of the Beano.

I think they ought to cut down on the amount of annual strips, because they already released "fifty years of annuals", although I suppose there's nothing stopping them form using either very old annual strips or more recent (Post-1991) ones, and of course, strips from vintage Dennis/Beryl/Dan/Bash Street/Black bob annuals if the originals aren't readily available enough.
Last update to http://comiccentral.jimdo.com: 7/4/2011

Sammy Shrink, Korky, Dennis and the Dandy all updated
Beryl the Peril Page Added
Navigation altered

Tin Can Tommy

Post by Tin Can Tommy »

It's not good using content from 1970s or later annuals as they are relatively easy to purchase online and I would bet a lot of the readers of the Dandy and Beano book already have alot of them.