What comics DIDN'T you buy today?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Hawkeye

Re: What comics DIDN'T you buy today?

Post by Hawkeye »

big bad bri wrote:I'm embarrassed he's a Tottenham fan :lol:
here's the link

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Billy-Whizz- ... SwnaJc97lg
Ah well, that explains it !

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

From Crewe in Cheshire. Mind you my mate Steve is a Spurs fan and has recently moved to Leyland, Lancs. I wouldn't mind moving there myself as London no longer feels like home.

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

stevezodiac wrote:From Crewe in Cheshire. Mind you my mate Steve is a Spurs fan and has recently moved to Leyland, Lancs. I wouldn't mind moving there myself as London no longer feels like home.
I'd love to get out of London i hate it here now.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

stevezodiac wrote:Mind you my mate Steve is a Spurs fan and has recently moved to Leyland, Lancs. I wouldn't mind moving there myself as London no longer feels like home.
I can easily imagine an Enid Blyton title 'Five Go Insane In Leyland'. Having shaken the dust off my northern shoes, not too difficult as I have now been living in the Cornish town of Hayle for just over a year, I feel absolutely no compulsion to go back up there, not even for a visit. The fact that my mother's family had a strong link to Leyland is no longer of any importance to me. I have plenty of memories, of both people and places, and quite frankly they will suffice. I am very comfortable here, writing two books, ferrying my grandchildren hither and thither as requested by Rachel. I took Alex to Truro on the train last Saturday, and bought him a vehicle in Hawkins' Bazaar with a hand-held control unit, then we had a double cheeseburger and fries each in 'Burger King' followed by a pint in a pub, a J2O for him. My ex-wife, Lynne was in Truro as well, buying clothes for Lois's trip to Brittany, which I'm funding, the trip not the clothes, but we didn't even see each other there. I did pick them up later from the train at Hayle though. I'm off to my bank in Penzance tomorrow morning to extract enough euros to cover her pocket money for her four-day holiday. Whether she will learn any useful French while she's over there is debatable, but maybe she'll get herself a pen friend? Mind you, if she does, I can see the future fairly clearly. It'll start with, "Gramps, how do you say 'Dear Veronique' in French?" and proceed downhill from there. I might suggest that she buy the first two Harry Potters in their French translation, and then sit on her to ensure her concentration while she reads them!! :lol:

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I recently won over a hundred Mail on Sunday Cartoon sections. The Crock strip, which is set in the foreign legion, is written in French and is titled Brush up your French with Crock. The English translation is written down the side.

SID

Post by SID »

big bad bri wrote:
stevezodiac wrote:From Crewe in Cheshire. Mind you my mate Steve is a Spurs fan and has recently moved to Leyland, Lancs. I wouldn't mind moving there myself as London no longer feels like home.
I'd love to get out of London i hate it here now.
Did just that five years ago (I lived near Bromley, Kent).

In my case, both my parents died in quick succession and my partner lived near Durham so decided on a change of pace. Best thing I did.

I still go down to see relatives and friends but definitely no regrets. Just the other day, a wild rabbit decided to visit my garden. :)
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

SID wrote:Just the other day, a wild rabbit decided to visit my garden.
Did you boil it or fry it?

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

If he did that it wouldn't be wild it would be furious. :)

SID

Post by SID »

:lol: Bloody cheeky little bugger that what he was. :lol:
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

stevezodiac wrote:If he did that it wouldn't be wild it would be furious. :)
That is an excellent reply, Steve. Well thought out! Sorry about the delay in replying, but I only waited in long enough this morning to take delivery of the full set of Harry Potters, which were being tracked on my computer. I didn't get my usual pint in the White Hart at lunchtime because the books only arrived just before I had to go to Hayle Secondary School to pick Alex up after a full rehearsal of his school production, which will be presented to the general public there this coming Saturday. I stayed at his, as requested by Rach, to keep an eye on him until Russ got home from work. Lois will be back from Brittany about 10 o'clock tonight. I put a small package on her pillow, that was delivered by my normal postman this morning, which contains a 'T'-shirt (medium sized), on the front of which is the logo of Gryffindor House at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. I didn't open it. If she sleeps in it tonight, it would not surprise me.

The Harry Potters are the third complete set that I've bought. The first was a couple of Christmases back for Lois's elder brother, Jordan, who has read them all at least twice, the second set was for Lois, but she doesn't appear to have read up to now more than a hundred or so pages of the first volume. To be honest, it doesn't look as though she is going to be much of a reader. I just hope that in three years time I don't have to put on a wig and a dress to go into St Ives Secondary School and sit her GCSEs for her!!!!!I

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Sorry Derek but I have to confess the "furious" line is from Mel Smith and Griff Rees Jones. Smith being in a gorilla costume.

At Kempton Park antiques fair today a seller had a pile of War/Battle/Lion and Valiant Picture Libraries but wanted £60 the lot which I thought was a bit too much. A Giant War or Battle PL was included. Number 11.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

stevezodiac wrote:Sorry Derek but I have to confess the "furious" line is from Mel Smith and Griff Rees Jones. Smith being in a gorilla costume.
I would never have known if you hadn't told me.

I've just got back from watching St Erth Primary School's production of Mary Poppins, which was put on in the assembly Hall at Hayle Secondary School. Alex played the part of George Banks, which for those who don't know the play, is a major role. He was brilliant, and could easily become an actor in the future if that kind of job appeals to him as he gets older. I went with Russ and Lois. My ex-wife, Lynne, went to this afternoon's performance, and rang to tell me how impressed and proud of him she had been.

When I picked Lois up from Tescos after school, she said she had brought an appropriate present back for me from Brittany, and it was in my favourite colour. It was an orange notepad and biro because, as she pointed out, I do write a lot. I must have told her at some point that orange was my favourite colour but I can't recall doing so. It was a lovely, thoughtful gift regardless.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Saw a Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde adaptation by Cam Kennedy in a charity shop in Wimbledon but decided I didn't need it.

Richard S.

Post by Richard S. »

ooh, I'd seen that as well - already have it so passed on it
my blog: http://boysadventurecomics.blogspot.co.uk/
facebook: Richard Sheaf
facebook group: Boys adventure comic blog
Twitter: @richardandsheaf
Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/BoysAdventureComics/

abacus

Post by abacus »

Travelled by train yesterday to Rhyl from holidaying in Llandudno, went specially to visit the comic shop there and do you know what ?, it was closed .The sign on the shop say's closed monday's, how can they do things like that?
Yes, I think my feelings were summed up in one word. :D
In Llandudo itself there's an antique type place that has 1962 and 1963 Judy annuals plus some of those Archie pocket sized books but I dòn't think I will be buying any of them before the holiday ends.