What comics DIDN'T you buy today?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

stevezodiac

Re: What comics DIDN'T you buy today?

Post by stevezodiac »

Most of those dealers will be at the ephemera fair in two weeks, I might consider it then.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I went to Sandown Park antiques fair yesterday. Not a comic to be seen but Bargain Hunt was being filmed there and it looked like they recorded at least three shows. Catherine Southon and Raj Bisram were the experts and Eric Knowles was the presenter. I might have got into camera shot a few times. A nice day out.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Catherine Southon and crew.

abacus

Post by abacus »

If I have what I might call an expensive spending week I tend to go into saving mode the following week.
Last week I spent £34 on printing inks for my holiday photo's and also my son rang to say he had picked up 5 annuals for me , Tiger×2, Swift, Eagle, Lion so I needed to pay him £5.

I'm not too keen on other people spending my money unless it's something I really want so I pointed out to my son I was trying to save just to make sure He didn't hurry to buy more books. :)

Anyway the point is I was at the carboot sale and I saw The Avengers annual, (you know Steed, Emma Peel etc., )I hadn't seen this annual before and I thought it looked pretty good.The chap selling it only wanted £2 but seeing how I was in saving mode I didn't want to go above a £1 so left it.
Another time I will probably be in spending mode again :)

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

What exactly was the point in going to the car boot, abacus, if you didn't feel like spending the £2 or even just the £1? In any case, you could have offered the £1. The vendor might have taken it given that he obviously wasn't expecting to get much for it anyway.

abacus

Post by abacus »

Phoenix wrote:What exactly was the point in going to the car boot, abacus, if you didn't feel like spending the £2 or even just the £1? In any case, you could have offered the £1. The vendor might have taken it given that he obviously wasn't expecting to get much for it anyway.
Well! (a) This particular carboot is on the doorstep more or less , that is within cycling distance of 1/2 a mile or so and also free to attend.
(b) When my son is not driving me to other carboots it's good to be out in the early morning cycling through the countryside with few people about and being able to say hello to the magpies and the occasional squirrel :D
(c) Being in saving mode doesn't mean I'm travelling around with an empty wallet, far from it, if there is that must have buy then I'm prepared, but although I liked the Avengers annual
I decided not to buy it.I also thought that it was worth £2 and therefore didn't try to get it at a reduced price.
I always thought if you spend, spend, spend you end up with nothing , so I adopt a balance of spend and save.
I expect though for some the final words would come from the Our Ernie Knockout comic strip " Daft I call it" :D

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

abacus wrote:I always thought if you spend, spend, spend you end up with nothing , so I adopt a balance of spend and save.
Well there's not a lot wrong with that approach, abacus. I have finally reached a position in which I don't really need any more story papers, either for boys or girls. However, I do tend to look in on 30th Century's website every couple of weeks or so, just on the offchance that I might be able to fill the odd gap or two. I think it's the completist within me just trying to hang on in there.

abacus

Post by abacus »

Phoenix wrote:I have finally reached a position in which I don't really need any more story papers, either for boys or girls. However, I do tend to look in on 30th Century's website every couple of weeks or so, just on the offchance that I might be able to fill the odd gap or two. I think it's the completist within me just trying to hang on in there.
Yes, once you get the collecting bug the habit is hard to break.

There are rare occasions when I wonder why I collect comics and annuals but that cloud soon passes :)

The wife mentions bonfires from time to time and other family members have blank looks so it's hard to read their thoughts. :)

Of course people collect different things and I see lots of market stalls selling toy cars, vans etc.so I guess that must be a popular collecting subject.
From my childhood days of standing on stations trainspotting , stamp collecting, to the present day at least I have gained lots of knowledge of these subjects, therefore not a complete waste.
Last edited by abacus on 26 Jun 2019, 05:02, edited 2 times in total.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

You could probably have got £20 or more for the Avengers annual on eBay and had more spending money. Speculate to accumulate I think is the expression.

Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

'A few nicks and creases, damage to spine, still not a bad copy.'

Not exactly how I would describe it !!

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

Hawkeye wrote:'A few nicks and creases, damage to spine, still not a bad copy.'

Not exactly how I would describe it !!

As 'nicks' go that takes some beating! I would hate to see what a 'bad copy' looked like in his opinion.

abacus

Post by abacus »

Kashgar wrote:
As 'nicks' go that takes some beating! I would hate to see what a 'bad copy' looked like in his opinion.
I'm not so sure, if comics finish up in the dustbin don't they then become collector's items ? :)

Spine damage on annuals is quite common and I usually assess the damage when buying because sometimes all that is needed is a spot of glue to make reasonable repairs.
Pencil markings inside a book are also easy to remove.
Having watched the amazing restoration work on BBC's REPAIR SHOP I'm now sure much can be done even with books that are in a bad state.
My hobby is collecting not buying and selling therefore I would rather have a damage version of an old annual than no version.
Last edited by abacus on 26 Jun 2019, 04:51, edited 4 times in total.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

abacus wrote:
Phoenix wrote:
abacus wrote: I have finally reached a position in which I don't really need any more story papers, either for boys or girls. However, I do tend to look in on 30th Century's website every couple of weeks or so, just on the offchance that I might be able to fill the odd gap or two. I think it's the completist within me just trying to hang on in there.
Yes, once you get the collecting bug the habit is hard to break.

There are rare occasions when I wonder why I collect comics and annuals but that cloud soon passes :)

The wife mentions bonfires from time to time and other family members have blank looks so it's hard to read their thoughts. :)

Of course people collect different things and I see lots of market stalls selling toy cars, vans etc.so I guess that must be a popular collecting subject.
From my childhood days of standing on stations trainspotting , stamp collecting, to the present day at least I have gained lots of knowledge of these subjects, therefore not a complete waste.
I'm with you. I have a hard limit on what I will buy comics or annuals for. If I know I can shift a double for a good price then I might go 10 bob over my limit, but that's it. Otherwise, I end up paying silly money for two bob comics.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

Here's one I'll not be buying on ebay - 323826340758

Selling it as a Billy Whizz comic (I don't have the heart to tell him its a Beano with the covers missing!!!!!! ha ha ha)

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

I'm embarrassed he's a Tottenham fan :lol:
here's the link

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Billy-Whizz- ... SwnaJc97lg