The best comic or book you got in 2012

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Bethanys grandad

The best comic or book you got in 2012

Post by Bethanys grandad »

2012 is now over so what is is best comic/annual or comic related book that you have got during the year
here is mine

In second place The best of Alf Tupper book , classic strips of comics no1 sporting hero

In first place Great British Fantasy Comic Book Heros , a fantastic book of british 1950s sci fi comic strips not a cheap book at £75 but its limited to only 100 copies , full of rare comic strips a cracking read.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Re: The best comic or book you got in 2012

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

Last Christmas [2011] one present I got was '1001 comics you must read before you...' which was more of a History of many different comic genres, but very illuminating.

The DC Thomson reprint stuff is always welcome, but let's face it: a lot of the calendar and annual stuff is now over-familiar to us buffs at least------wish they would put out imagery a wee bit more 'unseen'. There must be stacks of great material that has never resurfaced since it was published.

The Beano/Dandy calendar is up on my kitchen wall as ever, though......

2011 is notable for the year I started 'archiving' long runs of comics [complete, in a few cases] via methods discussed in-depth on this forum a few months back-----I've never had so much access to comics material of so many different genres, and it has broadened my tastes and appreciation, whatever you may think of the ethics involved.......as a direct result of this, I'm actively seeking out more obscure material than ever before.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

My favourite comic-related books of 2012 would have to be the Showcase Presents collections of Rip Hunter...Time Master and Sea Devils - even though I do have all the original issues.

And if it counts I just received a couple of marvelous John Gillatt illustrations from Phil Clarke which I love. (I must admit I was sorely tempted by that 1950s book, but the price was a bit beyond my budget!)

- Phil Rushton

Bethanys grandad

Post by Bethanys grandad »

I got the showcase presents sea devils and showcase presents showcase from my son for Christmas looking forward to. reading them later, I have now got 25 of the dc showcase 500page books , it's a shame you can't get victor or lion comics in that format at around the £15 mark .

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Yes! I know that DC Thomson tried something similar with their Red Dagger collections a while back but, given the current high profile of sport following last year's Olympics, maybe there would now be a market for 'graphic novels' featuring the likes of Wilson, Pickford, Bernard Briggs, Roy Race, etc.

- Phil R.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Commando still sells so perhaps a War collection?

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

philcom55 wrote:Yes! I know that DC Thomson tried something similar with their Red Dagger collections a while back but, given the current high profile of sport following last year's Olympics, maybe there would now be a market for 'graphic novels' featuring the likes of Wilson, Pickford, Bernard Briggs, Roy Race, etc.

- Phil R.
Isn't that why this year's retro Victor book focused exclusively on Tough of the Track, Alf Tupper?

Roy Race, of course, is Fleetway's Roy of the Rovers, and he has several collections out already.

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

2012 felt as long as 2 years to me, so some of these may be off:
- A batch of The Boys' Friend from 1903 - 04, which enables me to read the complete Under Japan's Flag story
- The Iron Legion, the reprint book of the first comic strips from Doctor Who Weekly.
- Assimilation2, a Star Trek / Doctor Who crossover comic! Apparently people thought it was dull and had a limp ending... but I thought it was no worse than the TV show. Make of that what you will
- The Phoenix! Just about to resubscribe for another full year
- Tank Tankuro, a 1976 reprint of a Japanese comic from 1930. It has been released in English, but the quality of the translation is terrible ("experience my fearsome attacks!"). Oh well, I'll get a dictionary out and plough through it one day
- Pulp Detective issue 1 (and only). It was a great read
- Lynx Novel (bigoted Japanese comic fans can't claim story papers are unworthy!)
And many more too. Been a good year!

DavidKW

Post by DavidKW »

I admit I only started collecting this April & have amazed myself with how much I got - it's a how long's a piece of string, I'll have to think of the best.

And all collected without the internet or credit cards. Via many days out.

Still a long way to go for me goals though.

Beats the winter blues this.

George Shiers

Post by George Shiers »

Out of everything I bought last year, my favourite has to be Whizzer and Chips dated 18th February 1989! It was such a fun comic!

I posted some pages from it here:

http://www.wackycomics.com/2012/12/bernie-in-beano.html

and here:

http://www.wackycomics.com/2012/12/more ... iness.html
Visit my blog all about British comics old and new! http://www.whackycomics.blogspot.com

helsbels

Post by helsbels »

Definitely "Las Nuevas Aventuras de Esther" (The New Adventures of Patty's World) by Carlos Portela & Purita Campos. Signed by the wonderful Purita herself. Thanks again for that, Ruth! :D

-MikeD-

Post by -MikeD- »

The best comic of 2012 was undoubtedly the last ever Dandy. So much creativity and fun, it ended on a high. The Beano has also improved recently, and for the first time in years I'm starting to genuinely look forward to the next issue.
My new art blog...beta version... http://mikedcuk.blogspot.co.uk

matrix

Post by matrix »

The 'Princess Tina's' I picked up giving me complete runs of Giorgio Trevisans, 'The Wizard of Oz' and 'The Secret Garden' artwork and as a bonus 'Dog of Flanders'.

Superb!

George Shiers

Post by George Shiers »

Another thing I got was Pulp Detective no. 1. It was brilliant and really deserved to be a success and was gutted when I heard it was going digital. :(
Visit my blog all about British comics old and new! http://www.whackycomics.blogspot.com

DavidKW

Post by DavidKW »

I'd whittled them down to:

Comics:

A 1977 Beezer (once had a copy - remeber the cover stories).

Any assorted June & SFs/SchoolFriend I'd picked up (never expected to find so many so far) - including the entire 1965 run (last 4 SFs) - a days not long enough to read half of them!

4 Princess Tinas I'd found.

Annuals:

Sue Day Annual (and the vendor let me have it for nothing! For being such a good customer)

3 Sally Annuals (1972's the best - has a Justine strip inside).

1968 June Annual (excellence all through).

1972 Topper Annual (with Lumbering Jack - loved discovering the quirky humour it had then).

All the 3 1960s Avengers annuals - always wanted them & got them all this year - and 2 in a charity shop & other in car boot sale!

1980 & 81 Misty annuals (one in a car boot sale)