Marvel to Republish Miracleman...and Conclude it!

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Bigwords

Re: Marvel to Republish Miracleman...and Conclude it!

Post by Bigwords »

starscape wrote:Oh, and maybe I should have said Marvel UK is returning. Death's Head is the main confirmation (although I was never a fan - let's hope for the Knights of Pendragon as it was conceived in volume 1 - not those silly armoured knights).
If they bring back the ecological issues and important storylines, then I'll be there to read them. :D
(if, however, it is people hitting each other for page after page, I think I will pass on that treat.)

starscape

Post by starscape »

Strange thing was, the guy who wrote the excellent volume 1 was the same guy who wrote the dreadful volume 2. Wonder if it was pressure from above or just wanted to tell a different kind of story.

Does Tony know if Albion was last seen in armour or his superhero suit? Obviously Union Jack went back to longjohns thankfully.
STARSCAPE Comic
http://facebook.com/Starscape-Comic-108831387707862/
comics, cartoons, music & movies

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

starscape wrote:Strange thing was, the guy who wrote the excellent volume 1 was the same guy who wrote the dreadful volume 2. Wonder if it was pressure from above or just wanted to tell a different kind of story.

Does Tony know if Albion was last seen in armour or his superhero suit? Obviously Union Jack went back to longjohns thankfully.
Albion hasn't been since the Marvel UK line folded, and in his last appearance (in Jan 1994) he was wearing the armoured-up version of his costume. The only one of the Knights of Pendragon who has cropped up since is Union Jack, who went back to his old look but has, on at least one occasion, been referred to as still having a connection to the Pendragon power.

starscape

Post by starscape »

Think he was seen in the last couple of years. Need to check out my back issues. Might have been Fear Itself. Think it was literally a one-panel phone call shot.
STARSCAPE Comic

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

Didn't every Marvel character circa 1994 have ridiculous armour, though? XD

If they bring anybody from that period back, I suspect it will be quietly dropped.

davidandrewsimpson

Post by davidandrewsimpson »

Hi

Taken from the coments at http://comicsbeat.com/nycc-13-miraclema ... uary-2014/, where they're discussing the Marvelman/Miracleman name thing. AS always with internet comments, take with a pich of salt:

1. Torsten Adair says:
10/13/2013 at 8:47 am
From what I’ve heard from a reputable source, Marvel will keep “Miracleman” and use that to refer to the Moore/Gaiman/et al. run, which, if Marvel is smart, will keep in print until the end of time. Also, the Warpsmiths are also now owned by Marvel. That seemed to be the Drachenzähne in the way of full reprinting.
“Marvelman” will become “IP-Man” for Marvel, being recreated and introduced into the Marvel 616 Universe, where he can be exploited until the end of time.
Has Marvel trademarked “Marvelman”? I believe they’ve already used it, with the Anglo reprints.
2. Sean says:
10/13/2013 at 9:57 am
Gaiman’s issues were written with “Miracleman” in mind, and I think all of the Moore stuff post-Warrior was as well, so it is easier (and probably preferable) to keep it as Miracle rather than having to go in and rewrite dialogue.
3. Tom W says:
10/13/2013 at 12:54 pm
The Marvelman/Miracleman issue: by Book III and Gaiman’s run, which are pretty undisputably the best chapters of the story, the Miracle part of the name had become pretty key to the character. He was a miracle and he’d ushered in a world of miracles. There is, therefore, a decent creative justification for sticking with the latter name.

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

Well, that seems to settle the matter of the Warpsmiths (if it's accurate) but what about Big Ben?

starscape

Post by starscape »

He's got no time for crime.
STARSCAPE Comic

Bigwords

Post by Bigwords »

tony ingram wrote:Well, that seems to settle the matter of the Warpsmiths (if it's accurate) but what about Big Ben?
Looks like he's not been picked up by Marvel.

Yet.

starscape

Post by starscape »

It's not been updated in ages. BB's essential for the story, so he has to be in there.

I still remember being utterly amazed by the giant step MM was when in Warrior. I'd never seen anything like it before. Now everything is like it but just not as good. A good or a bad thing? Difficult to say. After the National Periodicals showpiece in the 40s, the Marvel Revolution in the 60s and then Moore in the 80s, it's just a shame we've not really had any superhero developments since then. 30 years of little in the way of new ideas is a long time.
STARSCAPE Comic

Bigwords

Post by Bigwords »

Dez would have to speak for the specifics, but there's a scan of memo floating around the interwebs which seemed to separate the Miracleman Big Ben from the character who appeared outside of the story - in, for example, the Warrior Special flip-book with CI. Marvel *should* be able to reprint the stories he appears in without owning the character outright.

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

starscape wrote:It's not been updated in ages. BB's essential for the story, so he has to be in there.

I still remember being utterly amazed by the giant step MM was when in Warrior. I'd never seen anything like it before. Now everything is like it but just not as good. A good or a bad thing? Difficult to say. After the National Periodicals showpiece in the 40s, the Marvel Revolution in the 60s and then Moore in the 80s, it's just a shame we've not really had any superhero developments since then. 30 years of little in the way of new ideas is a long time.
The early eighties were something of a golden era for comics which I think ushered in about several years of innovation by a number of creators, mostly at DC/Vertigo and various independent publishers. But yeah, I'd say since the very early nineties that well seems to have more or less dried up, aside from in a few notable cases (like Gaiman's Sandman).