What do comic retailers offer in the 21st. century?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

paw broon

What do comic retailers offer in the 21st. century?

Post by paw broon »

A read through of this article from "My Little Underground" might prove interesting and, with any luck, promote some discussion.
http://g1rm.wordpress.com/2014/08/17/wh ... t-century/

The original article refers to American shops but is very pertinent to British shops right now. The idea that shop owners might consider stocking other than superhero comics and solely American titles is not new but is relevant. As is pointed out, attracting new customers to these establishments is difficult and creative thinking should be a pre-requisite for owners. Anyway, have a look.

starscape

Re: What do comic retailers offer in the 21st. century?

Post by starscape »

I said something similar myself in an article called 'Are British comic shops failing British comics?':
http://superherostore.150m.com/starscap ... cshops.htm
STARSCAPE Comic
http://facebook.com/Starscape-Comic-108831387707862/
comics, cartoons, music & movies

geoff42

Post by geoff42 »

I read the article and the bit that says, more or less, "Give me ten grand, and I will give you a shop for comics." I'm a little dubious. I reckon a lot more expenditure would be required and, even then, it wouldn't be guaranteed a success. I speak from personal experience. Seven years ago, I was a regular at Forbidden Planet in Leeds (twice a week at least, plus it was an excuse to have a few pints at the same time) but, gradually, the back issue bins declined. Graphic novels began to take a lot more space on the racks. Comic supplies, i.e. bags and boards, disappeared. Superhero figurines and videos took up more space, and modern comics for sale were shunted in a very tight corner with alarming consequences. Certain titles just weren't available anymore - 2000 ad had been give the elbow for heaven's sake! I gave it all up and found ebay. I'm afraid bricks and mortar shops are a thing of the past... or will be.

geoff42

Post by geoff42 »

hi, starscape, just read your article. I live in a small town about 7 miles from Leeds called Batley wherein I cannot find an issue of 2000 ad or Judge Dredd Megazine for love or money. Fortunately, the next town "Dewsbury" (a half hour walk) I do have a newsagent that sells both and all the Panini issues of "Marvel" comics. They even sold "Strip" when it was available. Walk another 100 yards to WH Smiths, and no 2000 ad is in sight. If you're lucky, you just might be able to pick up Judge Dredd Megazine. But they rarely stock more than 2 copies. Other than that, Leeds would be my next step. But, as stated in a previous post, Forbidden Planet offers very little. I now have ebay. I have no incentive to travel. Even the Golden Orbit comic fairs that I religiously attended for years offer me nothing. It's two years ago since I last attended. I have no intentions of attending again. The last time I went, there were no more than five stalls on display - three of them were mainly selling videos and cards. It was a very sad day.

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

geoff42 wrote:hi, starscape, just read your article. I live in a small town about 7 miles from Leeds called Batley wherein I cannot find an issue of 2000 ad or Judge Dredd Megazine for love or money. Fortunately, the next town "Dewsbury" (a half hour walk) I do have a newsagent that sells both and all the Panini issues of "Marvel" comics. They even sold "Strip" when it was available. Walk another 100 yards to WH Smiths, and no 2000 ad is in sight. If you're lucky, you just might be able to pick up Judge Dredd Megazine. But they rarely stock more than 2 copies.
Most newsagents will order titles, though. Our village shop stocks Doctor Who Magazine, Doctor Who Adventures and Commando as a matter of course, but orders 2000 AD and the Megazine specifically for me.

dishes

Post by dishes »

geoff42 wrote:hi, starscape, just read your article. I live in a small town about 7 miles from Leeds called Batley wherein I cannot find an issue of 2000 ad or Judge Dredd Megazine for love or money. Fortunately, the next town "Dewsbury" (a half hour walk) I do have a newsagent that sells both and all the Panini issues of "Marvel" comics. They even sold "Strip" when it was available. Walk another 100 yards to WH Smiths, and no 2000 ad is in sight. If you're lucky, you just might be able to pick up Judge Dredd Megazine. But they rarely stock more than 2 copies. Other than that, Leeds would be my next step. But, as stated in a previous post, Forbidden Planet offers very little. I now have ebay. I have no incentive to travel. Even the Golden Orbit comic fairs that I religiously attended for years offer me nothing. It's two years ago since I last attended. I have no intentions of attending again. The last time I went, there were no more than five stalls on display - three of them were mainly selling videos and cards. It was a very sad day.
Try OK Comics next time you're in Leeds, recently shortlisted for an Eisner award: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-28471478
http://www.okcomics.co.uk/

geoff42

Post by geoff42 »

hi, tony, fortunately I work in Dewsbury and so I buy 2000 ad and the Megazine on my travels to work. So, it's not much of an inconvenience. Still, it is a frustration to see that your local newsagent don't even have 2000 ad on their racks. Even more frustrating that your nearest WH Smiths don't either. There was a time, admittedly as a teenager that was many moons ago, that I used to buy almost every IPC title going and a few DC Thomsons from WH Smiths. At least my local Tesco supermarket has Beano on the racks... for now :)

geoff42

Post by geoff42 »

hi, dishes, OK Comics is a new one to me - you just may have tempted me to venture out and give it a visit... bus fares are prohibitive now but the lure of a few pints somewhere new should seal it :D

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

geoff42 wrote:bus fares are prohibitive now but the lure of a few pints somewhere new should seal it
There's no shortage of pubs in Leeds. There are a couple of decent ones on Boar Lane, and at least one on Lower Briggate.

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

OK Comics in Leeds is an excellent comic shop, despite the lack of olderback issues. The staff were excellent on my visit. My wife and I spent a few days in Leeds last year and enjoyed ourselves. Have to admit that the real high point was going out of town to visit Salt Mills at Saltaire. Quite wonderful. And at Shipley, one of the very few triangular railway stations in the country.

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

Well my main (only!) comic shop is Forbidden Planet, and that has plenty of Japanese stuff, as well as reprinted British material from Titan and Rebellion. No Phoenix or Commando, though. And I won't be holding my breath for the "Jesus, it's twenty quid!" new SBL either.