Comics with the most eye-catching name or logo

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

SID

Comics with the most eye-catching name or logo

Post by SID »

For me, one of the things that caught my eye about 2000AD when it first came out was the name and logo. It just leapt out at me. It certainly hooked me enough to want to see inside.

Now was there ever a comic where the name/logo got your attention?

Another one was The Crunch especially when it had "...is now..." as part of the heading.
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

ISPYSHHHGUY

Re: Comics with the most eye-catching name or logo

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

The worst was CLINT!

Raven

Post by Raven »

COR!!, with its exclamation marks, and bursting out of Gus Gorilla's gob, was a strong one.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

I liked the dualism of the Battle/Action merger.
charleys-war-battle-action-cover.jpg
That title looked quite cool with Battle as the top word and Action as the bottom one.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

The beauty of that Battle-Action logo was that it could be resized or tilted to suit the cover design and still look good.

I've always liked the impact of the WHAM! logo. Fantastic had a very modern look to it too. JAG was very dynamic. Heck, too many good logos to choose from!
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

SID

Post by SID »

I must admit, I loved the front cover of the very first Crunch with the fist.

Battle-Action was a good name. It seemed more modern than Battle Picture Weekly. I don't understand why IPC eventually dropped it.

Another comic that caught my attention in the day was Cracker. I liked the logo and sounded more exciting than The Dandy or The Beano (though everyone knows I always loved the former).

Spike I found wasn't a bad name for a comic either.
Attachments
TheCrunch1.jpg
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Battle-Action changed to just Battle and then to Battle Action Force... was Action Force originally a separate title? Would it's launch have been at the time Battle dropped the Action part of it's name? Would've led to confusion I expect if they both had Action in the name, though Battle had shrunk it on the masthead by then.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Action Force was a toy tie-in that got added from nowhere for those reading the comics and it was a serious step downhill if you were a reader. The stories were good and the art was still great, but it was that tie-in that was the beginning of the slippery slope to now where we have little or nothing on the shelves without at least one tie-in.

And it looks like Action was dropped from the title in Feb 1982 whereas Action Force didn't come in until July 1983, so I doubt that was the reason for dropping Action from the title.

I did love The Crunch and thought that the stories were hard-hitting for DCT, but they just didn't quite make it when compared to 2000AD.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

starscape

Post by starscape »

For name, I've always loved Valiant. The Mighty World of Marvel also sounds terrific. The Bullet masthead was pretty good, as was Star*Lord's. But nothing beats that first 2000AD.
STARSCAPE Comic
http://facebook.com/Starscape-Comic-108831387707862/
comics, cartoons, music & movies

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Digifiend wrote:Battle-Action changed to just Battle and then to Battle Action Force... was Action Force originally a separate title? Would it's launch have been at the time Battle dropped the Action part of it's name? Would've led to confusion I expect if they both had Action in the name, though Battle had shrunk it on the masthead by then.

IPC never published an independent Action Force comic but Marvel UK gained the license to do it later and they did run an Action Force title for 50 issues (which then merged into The Transformers).

Having lost the rights to do strips based on the toy line, IPC changed the comic back to simply Battle, then changed it again to Battle Storm Force, - a creation of their own and absolutely not inspired by Action Force in any way whatsoever. :lol:
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

dandy mad

Post by dandy mad »

TV21 Has something special about it as it was a refreshing change from the more mundane traditional comics that where around in the 60s and for something completely different the Viz title has always caught my eye and is the only comic that I buy on a regular basis

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

colcool007 wrote:Action Force was a toy tie-in that got added from nowhere for those reading the comics and it was a serious step downhill if you were a reader. The stories were good and the art was still great, but it was that tie-in that was the beginning of the slippery slope to now where we have little or nothing on the shelves without at least one tie-in.
True, but it gave us Baron Ironblood and the Red Shadows. I loved Baron Ironblood.

"Blood for the Baron!" :D

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

I'd have to go for The Crunch.

starscape

Post by starscape »

dandy mad wrote:TV21 Has something special about it as it was a refreshing change from the more mundane traditional comics that where around in the 60s and for something completely different the Viz title has always caught my eye and is the only comic that I buy on a regular basis
I can see that the TV21 overall design was eye-catching and love Viz as a comic. Can't say I'm overly impressed by the logo or name of either, mind you. Both seem pretty average to me.
STARSCAPE Comic
http://facebook.com/Starscape-Comic-108831387707862/
comics, cartoons, music & movies

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

I think this Spellbound cover has a lot going for it, but as the logo seems to work best in conjunction with the rest of the design, separating the elements does take a little something away from the logo, although it's still impressive.
Attachments
spellbound1cov.jpg